Bono and Edge do Spider-Man musical!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catman

Rock n' Roll Doggie
http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=5499

SPIDER-MAN
Theatre
MUSICAL
AEA 29-HOUR REHEARSED READING

Director: Julie Taymor
Music and Lyrics: Bono and The Edge of U2
Musical Supervisor: Teese Gohl
Book: Julie Taymor and Glen Berger
Producer: Hello Entertainment/David Garfinkle, Martin McCallum, Marvel Entertainment
Casting Director: Telsey + Company

Interesting, no? :wink: I thought this was just a rumor and nothing ever came of it. I'm intrigued...

Wow, Spidey the Musical!

Julie Taymor is the real deal -- probably the most talented woman working in theater today. That's an impressive combination. I can just see the three of them on Charlie Rose talking about this.

Last edited:
TheBrazilianFly said:
Man, this is cool but I can't imagine how the music for this will sound like.... :scratch:

maybe badass?

I don't know, I liked Edge's work on Alex Descends to Hell... but that was:

A) For "A Clockwork Orange"
B) In the early '90s

So who knows what this will sound like.

I remember this was posted a long time ago, at least early news of it. Didn't Bono and Edge back out of it or something? So now it's 100% confirmed?

:love: If this turns out to be true, I might just blow a gasket! I don't really care too much about the new album. This sounds like a fantastic side-project.

It's the combination of three of my favorite things in the world:
1. U2
2. Spiderman
3. Musicals

What's not to love? I can't fucking wait! :combust:

I don't like the sound of this. I'm not a big fan of rock musicals - I think it kind of makes a mockery of both. Generally the "rock" is toothless cheese, and, let's face it, most rock artists don't have the songwriting chops of the giants of the genre (Rogers and Hart, Hammerstein, Gershwin, etc.) U2 have written some of my favorite music ever, but it is nowhere near as complex as those writers. They may be out of their element here.

Edge's "Alex" was great, but for a full-on splashy successful musical, they will have to make the most commerical music of their career. The thing will have to fly with a wide, wide audience - way more wide than the U2 demographic.

It's gonna be nearly impossible to do this and not sound corny.

I cannot imagine a way that this won't turn into a embarrassing fiasco.

Nobody said it was going to be a "rock musical". If anyone these days can do accessible melodic tunes, it's Bono and Edge. :wink:

U2 is no stranger to contributing music to films and theater productions. They've been doing it their whole career. Nothing to worry about.

To recap the history:

A while back, Neil Jordan was actually in talks to direct the musical (or at least to develop/Produce it), which is how Bono and Edge got involved. They stuck around after Neil moved on and Julie Taymore got involved. Julie is the Tony-award-winning director of the Broadway The Lion King and some other stuff.

Through an odd series of events, I've actually seen the contracts for Bono and Edge (at least the signatures page): a friend's uncle kept bragging that he was one of the financial backers for a "U2 musical", and I refused to believe him until he showed me the signature pages with Paul and David's sigs on it.

I was still skeptical (not having a particularly good feeling about this, just from the description), but this new article seems to confirm that it's going ahead.

I'll see if I can head back, hat in hand, apologize for my earlier disbelief, and get a listen to any of the music and/or songs they've already done (remember, this has been around for years now, it's possible most of the music is already done, or at least outlined and ready to refine with the cast).

mwheelonh said:
and I refused to believe him until he showed me the signature pages with Paul and David's sigs on it.

They've never had their names legally changed, seems like it would make signing things a lot easier...:hmm:

I think it's cool. Why shouldn't they be involved in some musical stuff? A lot of bands and artists are and they still make albums. It's just another side project. Let's just hope it doesn't flop.

if this has genuine music on it without being too goofy, then i could wait until 08 for u2. :wink:

Last edited:
At least there's one song already written:
(affects Bono growl)

Spiderman, Spiderman
Kneels whereever a spider can
Spin a Web? Take it, Edge!
Catches Thieves
Just like a fly on a wall

Hello, Hello! Here comes Spiderman!

It may be a musical, but I'd imagine it being more like HMTMKMKM considering the subject matter.

Just say it to yourself a few times.

Spiderman: The Musical

Just sounds like a dumb idea. You just know Larry has a bad feeling about this...

I'm really intrigued about this - if it's a success, then it will only add to U2's legacy (hit broadway musical based off one of the biggest blockbusters of all-time). The only thing that worries me is that the music might be in the same league as "Rent" (which I *loathe*) - casting calls are looking for "pop/rock singers." I'd MUCH rather a jazzy, string-filled musical... something that'd really push Bono and The Edge musically.

Catman said:
I'm really intrigued about this - if it's a success, then it will only add to U2's legacy (hit broadway musical based off one of the biggest blockbusters of all-time). The only thing that worries me is that the music might be in the same league as "Rent" (which I *loathe*) - casting calls are looking for "pop/rock singers." I'd MUCH rather a jazzy, string-filled musical... something that'd really push Bono and The Edge musically.

Exactly. I trust the boys' instincts, but there is going to be a lot of cooks in this kitchen - and not people in the same league as a Lanois, Eno, or Lillywhite. I could see some potential problems if the music delivered isn't slick enough or isn't dumbed-down enough. This thing isn't just going to be marketed to U2 fans. The Elton John set has to dig it, too (*shudder*).

I predict that Bono and Edge eventually bail from the project.

ahittle said:

I could see some potential problems if the music delivered isn't slick enough or isn't dumbed-down enough. This thing isn't just going to be marketed to U2 fans. The Elton John set has to dig it, too (*shudder*).

Maybe you need to expand your horizons, because Elton John is one of the greatest songwriters we have.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom