Bono and Edge at R.E.M. gig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DublinGuy

The Fly
Hey, thought some people might be interested to hear that Bono and Edge were at the first of R.E.M.'s 5-Night Dublin stint tonight. They were sitting in one of the fancy boxes with Gavin Friday, Guggi, and their wives. (Pretty sure it was Morleigh anyway. It was hard to see). Michael Stipe thanked Bono and Edge at the beginning. Pity there was no Automatic Baby type event but it was still a great gig!

Last edited:
It was a cool gig. The venue is really small. They're calling them 'Working Rehearsals' so they did ten brand new songs. The older songs were all from the early 80's except for two gems from New Adventures in Hi-Fi (U2's Pop I reckon, i.e. incredible yet some somewhat unappreciated album). Peter Buck actually seemed to be enjoying performing which is very out of character for him! Stipe was singing most of the lyrics from a laptop or sheets but was still a great frontman as always. Going to see them again tomorrow night. Hoping for a few more old songs.

I agree with everyone else :D Wish I had been there, wish U2 and R.E.M would do something together ... I heard that R.E.M did New Test Leper (my current favourite song), is that right?

I actually saw Bono sing One with Stipe and Mills at an LA event honoring Bono a few years ago....it was really special, at least it was for me, being such a huge fan of both bands.

No spoken words said:
I actually saw Bono sing One with Stipe and Mills at an LA event honoring Bono a few years ago....it was really special, at least it was for me, being such a huge fan of both bands.

I remember REM honoring Bono singing "I Got You Babe", but I don't remember Bono singing One with them, anyone got video of this...

I wish there was video of the night...Lauryn Hill performed....No Doubt....a few others. It was not televised, but, maybe people shot video on their own. Was at the newly opened Kodak Theater, on Valentine's Day. I sure hope they performed One together, and that it's not somehow a false memory in my brain.

No spoken words said:
I wish there was video of the night...Lauryn Hill performed....No Doubt....a few others. It was not televised, but, maybe people shot video on their own. Was at the newly opened Kodak Theater, on Valentine's Day. I sure hope they performed One together, and that it's not somehow a false memory in my brain.

Ok then this was not the one I was thinking about...

What was this? Are you sure it wasn't a false memory, cause I can't find anything on Google...

No, it happened. It was a private affair, not open to the public, and it was honoring Bono on Valentine's Day. The Kodak theater had just opened up not long before. There were celebrities there and the whole 9 yards. A friend of mine works for Universal Studios, and she was invited, and she took me along.

Ok, I do remember this(this was the show I was talking about before), and part of it was televised...

I just don't remember Bono performing with them, too bad they didn't televise that part.

DublinGuy said:
It was a cool gig. The venue is really small. They're calling them 'Working Rehearsals' so they did ten brand new songs. The older songs were all from the early 80's except for two gems from New Adventures in Hi-Fi (U2's Pop I reckon, i.e. incredible yet some somewhat unappreciated album). Peter Buck actually seemed to be enjoying performing which is very out of character for him! Stipe was singing most of the lyrics from a laptop or sheets but was still a great frontman as always. Going to see them again tomorrow night. Hoping for a few more old songs.
:drool:
Congrats on seeing them twice!
:jealous:

I haven't heard of this event either, I first thought it was MusiCares, but this I think took place in 2003 (it's where Bono and Edge performed "Night and Day" and there were also a lot of tributes to Bono). However, I once had or saw a video of U2 performing ONE with Michael Stipe, but without Bono, Michael sang all of the lyrics, but I don't know where that was from. Maybe there is something on You Tube from this event?

Anyway, thanks for the info. Great to hear they were at the REM show. I love REM very much and Michael Stipe's voice is just touching me every time I listen to their songs.

last unicorn said:
However, I once had or saw a video of U2 performing ONE with Michael Stipe, but without Bono, Michael sang all of the lyrics, but I don't know where that was from. Maybe there is something on You Tube from this event

Yes, Adam & Larry, with Michael Stipe and Mike Mills, performed as Automatic Baby at the MTV Inauguration Party in 1993 - it's on youtube, that's where I've seen it, and it's great!

Originally posted by last unicorn
I love REM very much and Michael Stipe's voice is just touching me every time I listen to their songs. [/B]

Amen to that! Here's hoping for a great new album from R.E.M. very soon :D

BuffaloOnTheMov said:
I agree with everyone else :D Wish I had been there, wish U2 and R.E.M would do something together ... I heard that R.E.M did New Test Leper (my current favourite song), is that right?

Yeh, they did NTL as part of the encore and it was great. They played Electrolite straight after it which was fantastic too. They were the only songs of the night that weren't brand new or from the early 80's!!

blueeyedgirl said:
:drool:
Congrats on seeing them twice!
:jealous:

Sorry to heighten your drool-levels but it will actually be three times! Just flukey because they are doing these gigs in Ireland. There is hardly ever anything as cool as this happening here! Besides when U2 play of course!

Back
Top Bottom