Bono addresses crowd at Creation Festival

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drummerboy

The Fly
I was at the Creation Festival (a 4 day long christian music festival in central Pennsylvania) yesterday, and while I was walking around I noticed that DATA had an information booth set up, which of course I thought was cool since they were playing U2 from it, so I signed up.

Later that evening during his concert Michael W. Smith ( a fairly big name in the christian music world) was talking about sharing God with others by pouring yourself and your life into them, and then shared a story about meeting Bono at the Grammys where the two talked at length about Africa and the church's responsibility there. That story led into about a 3 minute video clip that Bono recorded for the festival, where he basically encouraged people that it was our responsibility as Christians to love our african brothers as we love ourselves, and that a big way that we could do that was by contacting our governements and supporting debt relief. Smith then came back on and said that from his meeting with Bono he could feel that this was someone whom God was stirring in and through whom God was doing some powerful things in Washington. He then encouraged the crowd to pray for Bono and his efforts, as well as the African people, then went into a sweet cover of "40" as one of his final songs of the evening.

It seemed that Bono's message was well recieved by the crowd, many of whom had probably not heard it from the conventional music world coverage. I know that the church can be a highly motivated force in the world of politics when it wants to be, so here's hoping that this video being shown at both Creation festivals (there's an East and a West, each attract about 80,000 people to them) will help Debt Relief along all the more.

- andy

Wow, that's really cool. As a Christian, I believe passionately that the church should be at the forefront of helping the poor and downtrodden...there are commands to do so all over the Bible. One can only hope that we will start to take that task seriously.

Thats so cool! I think that its great that people are trying to help Bono get his message across. The sooner people realise and listen to whats going on the faster we will get the cure/aid that we need. Its so sad that there are some people that still do not know about AIDS and the effects of it.

Cool! I'm so glad that so many people are helping to get this message across. Drastic action needs to be taken and the more people supporting the cause the more likely governments are to do more about it :up:

Hey, that's really cool that they invited DATA and that they had a table set up, etc, etc. I agree, as a Christian myself I think we should help the poor and abandoned people of the world, and Africa has been called "the forgotten continent". It's certainly been the ignored continent and in view of what's going on there that's a crime. Thanks for the news!

Thanks drummerboy for sharing that story, really cool. I?m so glad that so many people may have at least a glimpse of Bono?s work to help Africans.

That?s why I love Interference so much, that?s the kind of news one cannot find easily on the net. Thanks a lot. :up:

Btw, I think you should post these news at The Goal is Soul forum as well. just a suggestion. ;)

Discoteque said:
Very very cool. Sounds like a great festival...like the Greenbelt? festival held in the UK.

Yeah - Creation is pretty much the American version of Greenbelt, and it's an experience that I'd recommend to any Christians out there who are a reasonable driving distance from central PA. Check out their website at www.creationfest.com .

- andy

drummerboy said:
I know that the church can be a highly motivated force in the world of politics when it wants to be, so here's hoping that this video being shown at both Creation festivals (there's an East and a West, each attract about 80,000 people to them) will help Debt Relief along all the more.

Glad to see some "new" faces (to the debt relief threads) here. I'm posting these ph #'s for you all. Please take the time to call, if like you post, you want to see some action taken. In his most recent interview, Bono referred to the Church as "the sleeping giant." Time for us to wake up! :)

"I'm wide awake, I'm not sleeping" :)

O'Neill 202 622 0190
Bush 202 456 1414

Or check the site in my sig for sample letters you can send. :) (Cut and paste the sig if it argues with you.)

SD

The church *is* the sleeping giant--that's a good way to put it. Wake up! There's a crisis going on! There's a fire to put out! If we do something the rest of them just might follow..........I'm praying as well as writing letters and making phone calls.

WOW

what a great lineup at this festival!!! *wishes she weren't smack in the middle of the country*

Artist Lineup
? Michael W. Smith
? Kirk Franklin
? Newsboys
? Delirious
? Third Day
? Audio Adrenaline
? Point of Grace
? Jennifer Knapp
? Lincoln Brewster
? Supertones
? Stacie Orrico
? Mary Mary
? TobyMac
? ZOEgirl
? Phil Keaggy & Glass Harp

:up:

WAKE UP, DEAD MAN!!!

Don't be :silent:

Last edited:
Discoteque said:

? Newsboys

OK, now I'm jealous! I love the Newsboys! I just got a couple of their CDs and I've been listening to them non stop for the whole week! - wish I could have been there!

I'm from Central Pennsylvania. Where in Central Pennsylvania did this take place?

The fest is held every year at the Agape Farm in Mount Union, PA. It's about a halfway between Altoona and Lewistown.

- andy

Back
Top Bottom