Bomb Wins Grammy for Album of the Year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BWU2Buffs

War Child
Sorry if this has been posted already, but what do you think the odds are of Bomb winning Album of the Year. When I first heard it was up, I figured, "nice to be nominated, but not a chance in hell" since it was released so long ago. However, after looking over the competition, maybe it has a chance --

The Emancipation Of Mimi - Mariah Carey
Wasn't her movie called "Glitter" - should lose votes for that. This is one acceptance speech I do not want to hear.
Odds - 1 in 4

Chaos And Creation In The Backyard - Paul McCartney
Grammy could suck up to a rock legend - hopefully not.
Odds - 1 in 3

Love. Angel. Music. Baby- Gwen Stefani
Have not heard this; liked her stuff with No Doubt. Should win in a less prestigious category before graduating to this major category.
Odds 1 in 5

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - U2
Oldest release in category, well received, great tour. Grammy could be sick of U2 though and not enough top singles.
Odds 1 in 4

Late Registration - Kanye West
Have not heard this; will Grammy cling to or avoid Kanye's disparaging comment about George Bush in the aftermath of Katrina?
Odds 1 in 3

The hip hop / pop vote could get split between Kanye and Mariah. Paul's good, and a legend, but Grammy still wants to be seen as relevant, Paul fades. U2 and Gwen battle it out with U2 winning, but just barely.

Discuss.

There are better albums in this category than HTDAAB (in my mind, at least) - I don't think it deserves the award. I'd rather see it go to Gwen or Kanye - i'm not a big fan of either, but I thought the albums from both artists were pretty good (Kanye, particularly).

Wow, the competition HTDAAB's up against is less than impressive to say the least.

is it possible that they all loose? cause they should.

save for the grammy committee changing their lists, the best thing they could do at this point is announce that their nominees were for the most part - absolutely clueless.

kanye is the only one who remotely deserves to be mentioned.

tommycharles said:
Chaos and Creation in the Backyard is the best album nominated.
My head says HTDAAB but my 'eart, my 'eart says Chaos & Creation!

Fuck. What a bad list. My guess is it goes to either Kanye due to impact, or HTDAAB due to general U2 hype.

The Grammys are a joke.

Paul McCartney could release a record of him reading the phone book and they'd nominate it because, fuck, it's Macca.

And the same goes for U2.

Like Zoomerang said, Kanye's the only thing even worth mentioning on that list.

haven't heard macca's full album so i don't have a full opinion, but from those i do know i would give my nod to Kanye - thats a fantastic album!

if Bomb doesnt win Album of the Year (which, by the way...should go to Kanye) ...then hopefully it will at least have the knock on effect of giving them Best Rock Album...

...thus denying Coldplay.

...which would be beautiful. :wink:

There should be a law against giving the grammy to a guy who's the opening act for another band up for the same award.

Ranking By How Much I Enjoyed Them:

1. U2 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
2. Paul McCartney - Chaos And Creation
3. Kanye West - Late Registration

I'd give all three of those an 8/10.....lots of great material, but they all have flawed songs. I could name at least fifteen stronger releases from 2005 that are far more daringly creative and rewarding (hint: pitchforkmedia.com). But as far as mainstream music goes, this is tops.

Ranking By Their Chances Of Winning:

1. Kanye West - Late Registration
2. U2 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

Mark my words, the other three don't have a snowball's chance in hell.

My vote is for Kanye. Proudly so.

The IMMENSE respect Kanye has in the industry and among music fans far outshines a comment he made months ago. People have moved on.

I do not see U2 winning this one. Sorry.

I think that Kanye will win the category...I would like to see it go to U2 but Kanye's album is amazing and he deserves it..not saying that U2 doesn't but Kanye's album is excellent.

U2 will win their category, Rock Album, and probably Record of the Year for Sometimes (or is it Song of the Year) because of the Pity-Factor of the Grammys, plus it's an amazing song

Album of the Year...hmm...I want U2 to win it, but it will probably be Kanye

I'm expecting a Michael Jackson-esque 7-8 award for Kanye too

^ Yeah, but Thriller > Late Registration, but Late Registration is a million times better than the other award record holder, Santana's Supernatural.

BigMacPhisto said:
^ Yeah, but Thriller > Late Registration, but Late Registration is a million times better than the other award record holder, Santana's Supernatural.

Thriller is easily one of the Greatest Albums of all-time

but if Norah Jones can win 8 Grammys, so can media-darling Kanye West

im voting for Gwen Stefani !!she is so cute!!
and every single off here album was played to death on the radio and all the clubs and what not!! so ya she should win DUH!!:drool:

I think U2 have made far better records than Bomb, but I think the idea of any Kanye album being better than Bomb or any other U2 record is crazy. And not because I hate hip-hop; I don't. Rather, because I think Kanye is overrated and I think his hip-hop is average at best. Wyclef, Eminem, Beastie Boys, Dr. Dre, Jay Z, all far better.

Coldplay doesn't deserve it either; if it were Rush Of Blood To The Head vs Bomb, I wouldn't have a problem with ROBTTH winning. However, X&Y is a bland effort and doesn't deserve it.

I haven't heard McCartney's record or Gwen's record.

I'm fairly, but not completely, certain that Bomb, while not on par with JT, R&H, AB, Zooropa, or Pop, is better than any of the other Album Of The Year candidates.

Even if I didn't think it was the best I'd support U2's, 'cause I'm that kind of crazy loyal fan. The other stuff doesn't inspire me, I'm afraid, and I'd give the award to Bomb for Love & Peace alone. That song is so fantastic.

well, Kanye is media darling. He deserves it. I've heard nothing but positive reviews of his album.
HOWEVER: I THINK Outkast won last for 2003..., and Ray Charles last year. Will they continue the hiphop, blues, African-American trend? I doubt it.

However, he may win the consolation prize for not winning for his previous album... I bet he gets it.

No artist has won Album of the Year twice. U2 may be the first. For this reason, I'm really pulling for them. If they don't get it this year, they never will. Maybe that will be an influence.

Gwen...maybe. I'd wager Kanye though. However, that seems to obvious. Second would be U2, which also seems like a giveaway. I bet Gwen!

I hate a billion times to say this, but I'm pretty sure Mariah carey will win. the grammy's don't care about musical talent anymore. They just care about the r/b crap and that's all there is too. No matter how much I hate Kanye west, and no matter how much I know he and U2 both probably deserve the award...I've just got to be honest with myself...I definently see Mariah winning.

Back
Top Bottom