Bold Positive Prediction: U2 To Mount The Mother Of All Comebacks (Thanks Mullen!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hey HTDDAB fell to 41 on the charts from 20 post grammys!! WOW! WHAT A MOTHER OF ALL COMEBACKS!!!! JICK IS REALY ON THE MONEY. :)

allbecauseofu2 said:
yeah you;ll be gone to rethink of other ways to try to get around admitting your wrong. lol. well, you just said woodstock69 dosn't mean as much the mullen aplolgy. so that means one of two things? 1. you just posting stuf to piss people off. 2. your truly believe what you say. well in the case of 2, you got alot of issues and no understanding of rock music. not to mention insulting wood stock 69. i read the whole thread, this is not the mother of all comebacks. weather u2 broke this 'only one comeback allowed" rule you invented or not, nothing compares to santana. but since your running away scared now, its time to ask anyone else on here who agrees with jick to say something now. (whos a bigger fool, the fool or the fool that follows him? we're gonna find out). just remember, folks, if you defend jick, you are agreeing with that idea that woodstock 1969 was nothing and the other events i mentioned. and apprantly jick knows every hard up hardcore fan casue they all told him they boycotted the album. and of course he didn;t repost the part of my post that said larry has done more important things then this. what happened jick? forgot that? lol. too busy cleaning your toaster?

I was truly gone for a week. Now I am back.

Woodstock definitely is a significant event but the bottom line of it all is that it was just a gathering of superstar artists playing music. It is no different from Lolapolooza or Live Aid, but at least Woodstock was the granddaddy of them all.

The Mullen Apology is more unique than Woodstock because it is a personal outreach to fans. It is an apology and an acknowledgment that the fans were left "long-suffering."

There is no question that The Mullen Apology was more unique than Woodstock. As for which has more impact remains to be seen. The Mullen Apology is only less than a month old for crying out loud! Give it time....

Cheers,

J

allbecauseofu2 said:
hey HTDDAB fell to 41 on the charts from 20 post grammys!! WOW! WHAT A MOTHER OF ALL COMEBACKS!!!! JICK IS REALY ON THE MONEY. :)

Ok, I admit a miscalculation here. I guess my crystal ball was murky this time. There is no mother of all comebacks. I was dead wrong and the chart positions show it. When people throw opinions at me, they are just as good as every other opinion. But when it is statistics and hard facts, I have to give in. It can be shown that The Mullen Apology did not launch any comeback. So I guess I was wrong. I am not afraid to admit that.

A drop to #41 shows that even something as earth-shaking and as sincere and as touching as The Mullen Apology could not give U2 a second comeback. I guess U2 are just with the "one-comeback" rule. U2 have not transcended it.

I think this drop is a bad sign for U2. It shows that they have already outlived their relevance and they are destined for commercial irrelevance. I know this is a sad day for all of U2, but I think we are spoiled. 26 years of fun and music is great and if U2 have outlived their purpose, it has been a great ride.

This thread has outlived its relevance and purpose too.

Cheers,

J

Hello...who's throwing in the towel? I'm still a U2 fan following a band that is having a blast playing good music and challenging others in their forum. Stay with us, sing, dance, be merry!

jick!! pal, buddy. welcome back. yea u2 had a slight mishap, i was hoping we could have a little dialouge about that. lol . i asked people to back you up on here and somehow no one said anything,lol. i guess you need to superglue your cystal ball back together. so u2 is done now? its over? htddab is a flop? yeah, right. this is a sad day now? better tell u2 that, so they don't tour or something stupid like it. oh but you forgot two things, the rock n roll hame of fame and the tour.

allbecauseofu2 said:
jick!! pal, buddy. welcome back. yea u2 had a slight mishap, i was hoping we could have a little dialouge about that. lol . i asked people to back you up on here and somehow no one said anything,lol. i guess you need to superglue your cystal ball back together. so u2 is done now? its over? htddab is a flop? yeah, right. this is a sad day now? better tell u2 that, so they don't tour or something stupid like it. oh but you forgot two things, the rock n roll hame of fame and the tour.

The hall of fame or the tour won't put them back in the top20 like The Mullen Apology did.

However, I miscalculated on my bold predictions about The Mullen Apology. I thought it would have a more permanent effect.

But as this thread title says, it was a "bold" prediction on my part. Just like Pop was a bold move for U2 to try to release an unfinished album, this thread was a bold move for me but it somewhat failed.

Cheers,

J

even before the tour, the album has already sold 3 million copies...they'll be getting lots of positive (hopefully) press from the tour so the album is going to continue to sell well through the year and even past next year's Grammys. Plus, we have rock and roll hall of fame induction ceremony this month also. Never give up on U2. They are all over the radio in ATL, GA. Even some rare album cuts are getting played. That's a great sign.

I agree. It's about time to close this thread.

The prediction was proven wrong.

But I knew from the start it was a bold prediction - a kind of prediction no U2 fan would dare make.

It seems the comeback will never happen.

U2 have sold 2.5 million copies of their album in America. Half of that (1.25 million sold in first two weeks) was sold on the basis of marketing hype and promotion as opposed to musical content.

The rest of the 13 weeks, U2 have only mustered 1.2 million. That figure is embarrassing considering U2 had the benefit of the Christmas push, TV Appearances, The Mullen Apology, the extra publicity given by the presale fiasco, the Grammy performance, the Grammy 3 of 3 sweep, and three different singles (Vertigo, ABOY, SYCMIOYO). U2 are now languishing in #41 in the charts, dropping an all-time Billboard record 21 places for a top 20 artist!

HTDAAB will not match ATYCLB's sales. It seems to be on the verge of tanking, with its predominant sales achieved on the first two weeks. Since then, it has done nothing and has disappointed.

So I would like to apologize to the long-suffering U2 fans who may have bought my prediction and actually believed with me that U2 will make a second comeback. I guess they wont.

It is time to close this thread. It has run its course.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
So I would like to apologize to the long-suffering U2 fans who may have bought my prediction and actually believed with me that U2 will make a second comeback. I guess they wont.

Cheers,

J

The Jick Apology!!! Can someone make a mix of this?

Now you know you only get one chance at a comeback, right Jick?

:wink:

I never expected the Mullen apology to have any effect on sales, it was a personal gesture to U2 com subscribers that got messed around, that's all.

In terms of the drop in chart positions, the market has spoken.

HTDAAB is a good album, but I would respectfully disagree with anyone who ranks it up there with JT or AB.

Back
Top Bottom