Bold Positive Prediction: U2 To Mount The Mother Of All Comebacks (Thanks Mullen!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jick your opinions are narrow and something from Charlie and the Chocolate factory, it's like the part where the girl sticks her Chewing gum behind her ear to keep it fresh.
To think that an apology is going to make an album soar up the US charts is somewhat of a damaged thought.. it's like saying for you apologising for writing silly post's that everyone will suddenly start taking them seriously
I don't agree with you at all.. BE'LIE'VE

jick likes to think this pre sale fiasco is like u2 got accused of touching children like jackson. dude, no ones gives a shit about the pre sale thing, not on this epic level. it went down the charts and now proly go back up. or mabey it won't. whatever. the people who got screwed got thier money back. not the first time a artist fucked over the fans by choice or by accident. you can make a claim about metallica and napster, but not this. all this is, is a footnote in the next edition of u2 live docomentry. go read the book you;ll see shit worse then this happened and no long term damage. (or even realy short term!).

jick is alright.
he is not a blind follower but oft times annoying.

in the end he makes us think.

now if jick starts saying 'did u see how larry was trying to manipulate the fans w/that staged apology at the Grammys'?

he will be chased out of here for good.

i dont think jick will do this as he is a genuine fan albiet irritating sometimes.

peace,
db9

he shouldnt have even aplogized. thats how little i think of this thing. sorry. its more a glofied prviate matter then the public thing everyone thinks it is.

To all those who thought this ticket presale fiasco was minor, think again. When it started it was just among the fans. Then it grew bigger and was carried by the media.

Finally, we got the first version of the apology:

The Mullen Apology (U2.com version)

Then come the Grammies, instead of thanking their record execs and big bosses - U2 showed that their fans were their real boses by apologizing via Mullen in primetime TV:

The Mullen Apology (Primetime Vocal Version)

I just got word that after the speech, Mullen further apologized backstage to MTV News. This item was carried on the MTV news website. Mullen said:

"Our audience is very important to us; they've supported us through peaks and troughs and we haven't always made it easy for them. So when something like tickets go astray, and people wait online for hours, and they don't get the seats they want, or they don't get seats at all, it's hard for us. It's personal, because when you walk down the street, people say 'I tried to go to your concert, but I couldn't go.' So it's not like it's in the background, it's right in your face. Next time, we're going to make some changes in the way tickets are distributed. But you know what? We'll never get it right. There's always going to be scalpers, there's always going to be screw-ups. But we'll certainly not allow what happened this time to happen again. But we can't keep everybody happy all the time. We'd like to, but it's not possible."

You can check it here: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1497040/20050216/u2.jhtml?headlines=true

So I guess we now have a third version:

The Mullen Apology (MTV Version)

And if you add the version I made we already have a fourth version:

The Mullen Apology (J Mix)

...which can be found here:

http://forum.interference.com/t114464.html

I will try to brew a mix composed of the MTV version and the primetime Grammy version at a later date.

The Mullen Apology trancends all artist-to-fan barriers and has really shifted my overall view of the band. They are more than just musical geniuses with good business and marketing sense - they are human beings with genuine care and concern for their fans.

Mullen is THE man.

Cheers,

J

Last edited:
jick said:

The Mullen Apology trancends all artist-to-fan barriers and have really shifted my overall view of the band. They are more than just musical geniuses with good business and marketing sense - they are human being with genuine care and concern for their fans.

Mullen is THE man.

Cheers,

J

I agree with you.

jick said:
The Mullen Apology trancends all artist-to-fan barriers and has really shifted my overall view of the band. They are more than just musical geniuses with good business and marketing sense - they are human beings with genuine care and concern for their fans.

Mullen is THE man.

Cheers,

J

I agree. I've always liked Larry's no-nonsense style, as Flanagan said, no one hates horse:censored: as much as he does. As befits a PLEBA girl, I'm starting what I trust will someday be a hugeass Larry collection in my photo accounts; I started it the day of the Open Letter.

Last edited:
verte76 said:

I agree. I've always liked Larry's no-nonsense style, as Flanagan said, no one hates horse:censored: as much as he does. As befits a PLEBA girl, I'm starting what I trust will someday be a hugeass Larry collection in my photo accounts; I started it the day of the Open Letter.

I left a message in your guestbook. Did you get it? Cool site.

Drop me an email privately, I'll send you a link to my own artwork -- not the one done in photoshop, but hand-drawn artwork and I'd love to know your opinion.

As for me, since U2 has no female member, perhaps I should start a collection of McGuinness' daughter's photos? Then subsequently Bono's daughters some ten years from now? ;)

Cheers,

J

Jick - you have cheered me up - no easy task, as earlier tonight I thought I'd never smile again. Thankyou. :)

jick said:

Drop me an email privately, I'll send you a link to my own artwork -- not the one done in photoshop, but hand-drawn artwork and I'd love to know your opinion.

Could you send me a link? Not sure if you have my email addy still, it's angelaharlem at hotmail, if you dont mind of course! I love looking at other's artistic talent :)

just casue the media carried it, dosn't mean its big. its means someone wanted to make it a big deal. i don't get manuiplated by the media sorry. i decied whats big and whats not in my eyes. this is not u2 history but a footnote in u2 biographys . And, your not even "not making sense" correctly. If this pre sale thing is causing this comeback, its not a "comeback". They already were popular and back in the limelight, all the way since ATYCLB, and the HTDDAB was already selling great, and then it went down. SOOO, if i agreed with this idea that this a comeback, i would use the word REBOUND. casue thats what it is doing no matter whats casusing it. REBOUND. THE ALBUM IS /GONNA /MIGHT REBOUND. it's not making a comeback , it's already here . A comeback is if joshua tree magicalty re entered the charts. So at least make sense if your not gonna make sense.

allbecauseofu2 said:
just casue the media carried it, dosn't mean its big. its means someone wanted to make it a big deal. i don't get manuiplated by the media sorry. i decied whats big and whats not in my eyes. ...

You must be a big Green Day fan:

"Don't wanna be an American idiot.
One nation controlled by the media.
Information nation of hysteria.
It's going out to idiot America."

:)

Cheers,

J

Angela Harlem said:

Could you send me a link? Not sure if you have my email addy still, it's angelaharlem at hotmail, if you dont mind of course! I love looking at other's artistic talent :)

Shoot me a private email. atyclb4ever at yahoo

Cheers,

J

Jick - I'm curious as to why you continue to misspell your name. The "d" is only four letters to the left of the "j" on your keyboard. ;)

bw in dc said:
Jick - I'm curious as to why you continue to misspell your name. The "d" is only four letters to the left of the "j" on your keyboard. ;)

Jick is not even my real name or nickname. It's just a handle I started with on mIRC. But in U2 circles I've always been know as just "J". So I've never actually ever typed "Jick" here in interference, until this thread. So how can I "continue" to do something (misspell) when I've never actually done it?

Cheers,

J

Angela Harlem said:

Email sent to you and verte76. Hope you got it...

Cheers,

J

jick makes jokes and does stuff like this above when he can't answer directly to peope's reponses when he's wrong.

allbecauseofu2 said:
jick makes jokes and does stuff like this above when he can't answer directly to peope's reponses when he's wrong.

Ok I admit now, my prediction was wrong. The Mullen Apology did not trigger any comeback. The website deal apology didn't help a bit. I just got the latest news that U2 fell from #31 to #34 in the Billboard charts for week 12. I honestly expected a triumphant return to the top 30. So there you go, my theory has been shot down....

...BUT, if the written Mullen Apology didn't help, perhaps the verbal one will help. I still forsee a comeback for U2 on their US week 13 sales with a triumphant return to the top 30 after the vocal primetime version of The Mullen Apology. Never in the history of the Grammies have we seen such a public display of concern for fans! I am certain the vocal version should at least bring album sales up.

If it doesn't, then I guess it would be high time to put my crystal ball in the backburner.

Cheers,

J

yes, the album might REBOUND. rebound people, rebound. i just don;t believe the pre sale thing or the apology had any effect on it. i see this as a natural thing. mabey it will bubble under the top 40 for the rest of the year and sell that way. like matchbox 20 did with one of thier ealier albums. it went way but somehow sold a shitload of copys. hey, it great he apoligzed etc etc, if he felt he made a mistake, but this realy a private matter between u2 and certain internet fans. a private matter that got aired in public. i read worse ticket mishaps in u2 live docomentry book. likie police having to show up to tell fans u2 wern;t thier or soemthing happened, and that seems alot worse then this. i don;t have the book in front of me, but it was something that looked pretty ugly. so their was no way i was buying this as a major story.

allbecauseofu2 said:
yes, the album might REBOUND. rebound people, rebound. i just don;t believe the pre sale thing or the apology had any effect on it. i see this as a natural thing. mabey it will bubble under the top 40 for the rest of the year and sell that way. like matchbox 20 did with one of thier ealier albums. it went way but somehow sold a shitload of copys. hey, it great he apoligzed etc etc, if he felt he made a mistake, but this realy a private matter between u2 and certain internet fans. a private matter that got aired in public. i read worse ticket mishaps in u2 live docomentry book. likie police having to show up to tell fans u2 wern;t thier or soemthing happened, and that seems alot worse then this. i don;t have the book in front of me, but it was something that looked pretty ugly. so their was no way i was buying this as a major story.

It's not major story for you. But you are entitled to your own opinion, which obviously isn't the same as the opinion of media and of the band.

The Irish Times, Sunday Times, LA Times and Chicago Tribune saw it as major enough to carry it.

Mullen saw it as major enough to apologize for it in the Internet then on primetime Grammy tv. And even apologize more backstage which was covered by MTV and also in print for in their website. U2 never apologized publicly for other previous mishaps.

So you may have you take and U2 may have their own take.

Just like in any other undertaking, your mileage may vary.

Cheers,

J

no he certainly isn't that. ill give him that. i never saw anyone like this on chili pepper board like this guy.

allbecauseofu2 said:
no he certainly isn't that. ill give him that. i never saw anyone like this on chili pepper board like this guy.

You are a Chili Pepper fan? That's great. Didn't they use to have this hit song "Under The Bridge" that was covered by All Saints? I think that is a cool song, reminds me of my early high school days.

Sorry for being off-topic.

Cheers,

J

Re: Bold Positive Prediction: U2 To Mount The Mother Of All Comebacks (Thanks Mullen!)

jick said:
The U2 website and presale fiasco did substantial damage to U2's image. It was the longtime fans who were hurt the most. Fans began to doubt U2's integrity and their desire to continue on. Fans began to doubt U2's priority shift - postulating that perhaps they are now motivated more by money than by music.

To make things worse, U2 handled the matter the wrong way. Instead of coming to the fans' help, they left it to U2.com and Ticketmaster to explain themselves. Surely, U2's high-handed manner of ignoring the problem and being silent about it showed arrogance on their part.

So begun the massive U2 boycott. U2's American Chart positions dropped tremendously, from 13 to 22 to 28! It's torrid sales pace suddenly fell behind All That You Can't Leave Behind (no pun intended). Even in their home country of Ireland, the disappointed fans vented their ire by dropping the album to a lowly 13th on the Irish charts.

When you add up image problems, chart failure, and the fact that the band are already in their 40s and have lingered over 20 years in the industry, then the conclusion in inevitable: their relevance is waning and they are slowly morphing from contemporary trailblazing band to a mere nostalgia act (like the Rolling Stones right now).

Surely even U2 can no longer dig themselves out of this hole. Surely.

That's until Mullen comes to the rescue.

The Mullen Apology triggered everything. In one of the most touching artist-to-fan confessionals in rock'n'roll history, Mullen tells the fans regarding the fiasco that "some of it was beyond our control, but some of it wasn't." When he said some was within U2's control yet it still happened, he showed the humane fallible side of U2. The imperfection of U2 was exposed and admitted for the first time in such a public form of fans, many of whom thought of U2 as demigods who could do no wrong.

He went further to say "I want to apologise to you" and he ended by reassuring the fans of U2's "total commitment to our audience." Some may have thought U2's commitment was no longer to their audience but towards other material things such as riches. But with The Mullen Apology accompanied by the membership refund offer, all doubt was erased. Why would U2 turn down so much profits (membership fee refunds)? It can only be the total commitment Mullen stressed out.

What made The Mullen Apology so unique was the action that accompanied the words. Some artists (one U2 band member quickly comes to mind) are full of big words but no action to back it up. The Mullen Apology came with the refund offer, a new U2 fan ticket distribution scheme for the North America fall tour, and added dates for the first leg.

The after-effects of The Mullen Apology have already started to trickle in. Fans have related to the humane and imperfect side of U2 and sympathize with their guilt. The boycott is a thing of the past. Week 11 chart positions in U2's birthplace, Ireland, saw a massive climb from #13 to #5. The Netherlands saw the album shooting up from #8 to #6. In Britain, U2 withstood 5 new entries to lose only 1 position and hold steady in the top 20 at #18. Chart-wise, U2 are already making a grand comeback. I predict that the comeback in American charts may not be immediately evident this week, but look out for next week's results - and don't forget you heard the prediction here first.

U2's image was already tarnished. They were destined for commercial failure. There was no way they could rebound from the debacle. But they are doing it now. But the comeback won't mean a return to #1 in the charts. So you may ask - why am I labelling it the mother of all comebacks?

The answer is simple. In the music industry, you are only entitled to one comeback - then it's back to the commerical vacuum grave for you. Sting had his one-off with Brand New Day, Santana got his renaissance with Supernatural, the Eagles shook of their 14-year vacation with Hell Feezes Over but are on permanent vacation now, Blondie had her brief spell when Maria made the charts, and the list goes on. But is there anyone who can make a comeback twice? The answer supposed to be no. That is until U2.

U2 suffered their worst commercial and artistic disappointment with POP. From the disappointing chart nosedive of POP after a #1 debut in 33 countries, to the band looking "lost" in their first concert in Vegas (which also features a restart of Staring At The Sun with Bono arguing with Mullen), to the assortment of boos they received in the Macarena karaoke performance in Spain, up to the third leg where they played to half-empty stadiums in USA and Canada. Let's not forget zero Grammies. Surely U2 were done as a relevant music force after this.

But U2 made the grandest of all comebacks with All That You Can't Leave Behind, with its 11 million worldwide sales and 4 million U2 sales. Beautiful Day seemed to stay forever in the charts and the album seemed to win a gazillion Grammies. The tour grossed a record amount. So people were thinking U2 already used up their "one allocated comeback." Well think again!

After this presale fiasco, U2's image problems and the chart nosedive, U2 are supposed to have run out of lives. They aren't supposed to comeback from this. But thanks to The Mullen Apology, U2 are back in track and have resurrected from another certain death. An improbable second comeback? Well, this would have to be the mother of all comebacks!

Oh wait, the comeback has not really happend yet. It's just that I am positively predicting it: a rebound in the American charts, the lost love from fans found again, a successful tour that will have the fans feeling that they got their money's worth (as opposed to being robbed), and doubts about U2's integrity problems erased. All this hasn't happened yet but my prediction is that it will. I know this is a bold positive prediction because many think U2 have run out of lives. But who can prevent me from being positive and optimistic?

I think The Mullen Apology should go down as one of the legendary U2 written literature, right up there with the lyrics of "One" and Bono's introduction to the Book of Psalms.

Cheers,

J

By the way, a note to those so-called U2 fans who are quick to accuse me of posting nothing positive in this forum, I've only got two words for you...

thats a fine newspaper artical :D, when are they publishing your fine work? :p

hehe a band that's already sold 4 million copies of an album in less than 5 months and has sold out shows lined up for half the year and won 3 grammys really doesn't need to make a comeback.

sillyness.

david said:
hehe a band that's already sold 4 million copies of an album in less than 5 months and has sold out shows lined up for half the year and won 3 grammys really doesn't need to make a comeback.

sillyness.

I agree.

david said:

sillyness.

LOL, true!

jick said:

...BUT, if the written Mullen Apology didn't help, perhaps the verbal one will help. I still forsee a comeback for U2 on their US week 13 sales with a triumphant return to the top 30 after the vocal primetime version of The Mullen Apology. Never in the history of the Grammies have we seen such a public display of concern for fans! I am certain the vocal version should at least bring album sales up.

If it doesn't, then I guess it would be high time to put my crystal ball in the backburner.

Looks like my "Bold Positive Prediction" is starting to come true!

I knew there was something special about The Mullen Apology. I just overpredicted and thought the comeback would happen after the website version. But now that I reflect upon it, the website version was only viewed by few. It had to take the primetime, Grammy vocal version of The Mullen Apology to make waves.

For Week 13, sales have gone up over 40% -- and U2 have climbed up 14 places to #20 in the Billboard Charts! These are the DIRECT effects of The Mullen Apology!

My predictions seem spot on, and I foresee U2 to still stay in the top 30 next week! Looks like there is still some life left in my crystal ball.

I knew my prediction was too "bold" to be appreciated by some, but now that it is coming to fruition, I wonder what the naysayers have to say now!

Cheers,

J

Back
Top Bottom