Bold Positive Prediction: U2 To Mount The Mother Of All Comebacks (Thanks Mullen!) - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2005, 04:27 AM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho

...Jick correctly pointed out that "Pop" did have a fairly quick exit from the Billboard Top 200 albums chart.

...But when compared to past U2 albums, "Pop" sold poorly.

...Jick has an interesting theory,...

My main complaint is Jick's subtle suggestion that other band members are all talk and no action. Given how quiet Adam and Edge are, clearly he's referring to Bono. Admittedly, Bono is a hype machine - and perhaps deservedly so - but this is not unique for this album. Bono has talked this way for decades. And I don't feel it's all hype - I believe in Bono's mind, U2 do make "the mother of all rock songs". We fans may disagree, but this doesn't negate Bono's viewpoint.

More importantly though, Bono is ALL about action. DATA wouldn't exist if it weren't for Bono. Debt reduction wouldn't exist if it weren't for Bono. The world is talking about the AIDS epidemic - finally - and that's thanks to Bono. He is a force and this is because of his actions. He's not some hype machine talking to politicians to "feel good". He's doing the actual work and seeing what needs to be done. And his actions are in turn inspiring other very public figures to get involved and use their fame in a similar manner. While some of these artists may still be a bit disingenuous, Bono is not.

Larry's apology showed two things - that he probably is the main person involved in the more financial aspects of the tour and the website. This shouldn't be surprising as Larry was also responsible for T-shirts and souvenir sales on past tours. Also, this apology showed that U2 are beyond the $$ - they listen and care about the fans. They didn't have to do any of what they did. As they are, it shows class. I doubt any other artist would do the same.

So Jick, with your greedy Bono avatar and suggestions of "all talk no action", I think Larry's "two words" really are directed your way.
First off, thanks for the kind words and agreeing with some of my points, John.

Second, I hate to explain myself in my posts because I like to leave it to the reader to find his/her own interpreation of my writing which is my art - whether it is interpreted as humor, as sarcasm, as well-thought analysis, or as parody. But I think you are going too far to suggest that I am putting down Bono's outreach work. My reference to his bold words and no action were all his big words about upcoming albums which never materialized when the album came out. He promised POP to be a rock'n'roll album - to be their own version of the return to the 70s grunge movement. He said ATYCLB was "four musicians in a room" (it hardly was) and was centered around a theme of joy (hardly). How about the "molecules in the air" quote about Native Son? We heard the outtakes and it was nothing. Big words, no delivery. That was what I meant. Not his charity work at all.

Third, please don't reduce Mullen to a businessman merchandiser. His apology doesn't show only the two things you mentioned. The main thing his apology showed is simple - THAT HE CARES.

Finally, Mullen's words were not directed at me. It is very clear that his two words were directed at "so-called U2 fans who are quick to accuse U2 of unseemly behaviour." I'd prefer to categorize myself as a "so-called U2 fan who is quick to predict that U2 are on the verge of a massive comeback."

Cheers,

J

Old 02-08-2005, 07:16 AM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:05 PM
jick-
you are artful and crafty.

db9

Old 02-08-2005, 07:18 AM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:05 AM
and legendary
Old 02-08-2005, 07:18 AM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:05 PM
and predictable
Old 02-08-2005, 07:34 AM   #50
War Child

Local Time: 09:35 AM
and irrepressible
Old 02-08-2005, 07:39 AM   #51
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:05 AM
maybe i'm just a complete fucking moron here, but wouldn't one have to go away before one could make a comeback?
Old 02-08-2005, 07:41 AM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Ya think?
Old 02-08-2005, 07:45 AM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
what about larry telling people like you to F off? i thought that was funny

Cheers,

H
Fuck yeah!
Old 02-08-2005, 08:03 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Doctorwho's post is informative and factual.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:03 AM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:05 PM
i think mr jick
is
the
Master-Baiter
of
Interference.

cheers,
db9
Old 02-08-2005, 10:26 AM   #56
The Fly

Local Time: 04:05 AM
i don't really care what U2 do today or tommorow....they sold thyer inegrity by turning into a ''backstreet boys'' kinda band. after that, nothing will ever make them come back to my heart.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:30 AM   #57
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:05 AM
The great moments in music apologies:

John Lennon for his "more pop than Christ" comment.

Milli Vanilli for lip-syncing a Grammy winning album.

Larry Mullen jr for U2's Vertigo tour pre-sale fiasco.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:32 AM   #58
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
JiFurthermore, the notion that Mullen's apology was touching, let alone the most touching artist-to-fan apology in the history of rock'n'roll, is absurd and impossible to take seriously. It was a good apology that went a distance in comforting some fans concerning the ticket presale fiasco, that is all. Stop manufacturing this melodramatic drivel.
i agree, i was kind of disappointed in the letter.

i was hoping for something more Britney-style, filled with all sorts of "OMG!" and "WTF!" and abbreviations -- like "we're sooooo sorry, guyz, we kno it sux!" or "i promise the tour will B gr8!" or maybe "my new bike is just totally kewl!" i wanted something personal, like how larry was feeling, and for him to let us know what was in his heart, but i saw no emoticons anywhere! none! nor did he sign it "luv."

Old 02-08-2005, 10:41 AM   #59
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by zooroper
i don't really care what U2 do today or tommorow....they sold thyer inegrity by turning into a ''backstreet boys'' kinda band. after that, nothing will ever make them come back to my heart.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:08 PM   #60
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho

My main complaint is Jick's subtle suggestion that other band members are all talk and no action. Given how quiet Adam and Edge are, clearly he's referring to Bono. Admittedly, Bono is a hype machine - and perhaps deservedly so - but this is not unique for this album. Bono has talked this way for decades. And I don't feel it's all hype - I believe in Bono's mind, U2 do make "the mother of all rock songs". We fans may disagree, but this doesn't negate Bono's viewpoint.

More importantly though, Bono is ALL about action. DATA wouldn't exist if it weren't for Bono. Debt reduction wouldn't exist if it weren't for Bono. The world is talking about the AIDS epidemic - finally - and that's thanks to Bono. He is a force and this is because of his actions. He's not some hype machine talking to politicians to "feel good". He's doing the actual work and seeing what needs to be done. And his actions are in turn inspiring other very public figures to get involved and use their fame in a similar manner. While some of these artists may still be a bit disingenuous, Bono is not.

Therefore, I find Jick's post irrelevant. There's no need for U2 to "comeback". The album is still doing well on the charts and the sales are strong. The tour is already sold out. And this is just the beginning - the album isn't even 3 months old yet!
Well said!