Bold Positive Prediction: U2 To Mount The Mother Of All Comebacks (Thanks Mullen!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rem was realy u2's competion till rem fell off the commercal edge. bon jovi dosn;'t have a "atchung baby". Bon jovi may have explored new sounds, but they didn;t reinvent themselves totaly like u2 did. that part is no where near the same. bon jovi would have to had become a believeable grunge band and actuly be good.

allbecauseofu2 said:
rem was realy u2's competion till rem fell off the commercal edge. bon jovi dosn;'t have a "atchung baby". Bon jovi may have explored new sounds, but they didn;t reinvent themselves totaly like u2 did. that part is no where near the same. bon jovi would have to had become a believeable grunge band and actuly be good.

As I said, Keep The Faith is their Achtung Baby. Bon Jovi reinvented themselves. New sound, and this was also when Jon and Tico cut their hairs. Now that's what I call reinvention.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

As I said, Keep The Faith is their Achtung Baby. Bon Jovi reinvented themselves. New sound, and this was also when Jon and Tico cut their hairs. Now that's what I call reinvention.

Cheers,

J

Cutting your hair is reinvention?

Guess I'm off to the hairdresser to get my head shaved. When I return, I'll be Axvre.

bon jovi didn;t change thier ways from a philosopal standpoint in the 90's like u2 did. its still realy not the same. thiers differnce between adjusting your sound to survive outside your gerne and total reinvention that your seen as almost a total different band. bon jovi are one of the few good bands to come from a otherwise bad bad gerne of music. lol.

allbecauseofu2 said:
bon jovi didn;t change thier ways from a philosopal standpoint in the 90's like u2 did. its still realy not the same. thiers differnce between adjusting your sound to survive outside your gerne and total reinvention that your seen as almost a total different band. bon jovi are one of the few good bands to come from a otherwise bad bad gerne of music. lol.

They did change their ways. Cutting their hair was just a symbol of that change. It was also then that they started making more serious music with heavier lyrics such as Keep The Faith, I Believe, and Dry County. They also went away from their longtime and fan-loved tradition of doing music videos in an arena or in a semi-live setting. They started doing choreographed music videos. Bon Jovi's change with the Keep The Faith album was very similar to U2's change with Achtung - a change in songwriting themes, in wardrobes/hairstyles, video making methods, and just a new fresh bold outlook towards music.

Right up to the Crush album, Bon Jovi could somewhat go neck and neck with U2 in terms of longevity and sales figures. But when Bon Jovi did Bounce and then This Left Feels Right and finally 1 million Bon Jovi fans can't be wrong - they started getting less and less commercially successful. Now they are in the same mold as has-been, irrelevant nostalgia acts like The Rolling Stones, REM, and Radiohead. But you gotta give credit where credit is due - Bon Jovi managed to keep up with U2 the longest.

Bon Jovi can no longer keep up because they only have one allocated comeback and have used it up with Crush already.

U2 are just about to begin comeback #2.

The difference: Tico Torres is no Larry Mullen Jr.

Cheers,

J

okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk,lol. he sure isn't. bon jovi didn;t put out a album for 5 years 95-2000. bon jovi has some longevity, sure. but i still feel rem was u2;s competion casue its a fellow alterative band that started about the same time.

allbecauseofu2 said:
okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk,lol. he sure isn't. bon jovi didn;t put out a album for 5 years 95-2000. bon jovi has some longevity, sure. but i still feel rem was u2;s competion casue its a fellow alterative band that started about the same time.

Except for Zooropa, U2 were never alternative. They have always labelled themselves as POP. As for REM, I was never really a fan. They were just a one-hit-wonder "Losing My Religion" band. Before and after that song they were basically nobodies. The only thing going for U2 and REM are that they are friends. But then again, Bon Jovi also hung out with U2 during one of their Cleveland gigs.

Cheers,

J

The fact that Bon Jovi is even being discussed at length is really, really sad. The fact that J likes Bon Jovi and dislikes R.E.M. and Radiohead should render all of his opinions invalid in terms of taste or judgement.

Let's not compare a legendary hall-of-fame band with some cheese-metal longhairs who have a well-aged lead singer. Please.

It amazes me that R.E.M. and Bon Jovi are part of the same discussion. R.E.M. and U2 are artists. I'm not even going to get into a discussion about it and take J's "one hit wonder" bait. Bon Jovi are, and have always been lowest-common-denominator crowd pleasers. Jukebox, bar music.

Turn it off.

laz

Man I love Jicks posts, his message was hilarious, about how Larry's speech and how big it was. And all the members that replied, I can't stop laughing. And the REM losing my religion one hit wonder was funny also!

Zoocoustic said:
You gotta' admit it...this place would be a lot more boring without Jick's posts to keep us all riled up...

That's so true. I think some people over-react and write off a lot of jick's posts - I personally find quite a few of his posts to be worth reading, but this Mullen Apology thing and calling REM a one-hit-wonder band is just plain crap. I can't believe we've gotten eleven pages out of this.

So REM is a two-hit wonder. How in the world could I miss out "Shiny Happy People" in the mix?

Some are quick to slag off Bon Jovi, but they true artists and musicians.

Jon and Richie do solo albums on the side. Jon is an actor also. David Bryan does some movie or tv show musical scores. Tico Torres is a painter when he's not in the band. All of these are forms of art in some way. And even when they are not in the band, they always try to find ways to reinvent themselves and add things to their repertoire by still doing music related activities. I think this is one of the keys of Bon Jovi's success and longevity that is only surpassed by U2.

REM, on the other hand, had a brief run of commercial success in the early to mid 90s but when they disappeared they never reappeared. Stipe tried to stir the pot to create some REM "buzz" by coming out of the closet, but it still didn't return them to relevance.

So when REM went downhill, they never came back. The "one time only" comeback happens only to a select group of special musicians like Santana (Supernatural), Eagles (Hell Freezes Over), Sting (Brand New Day), Bon Jovi (Crush), Duran Duran (Wedding Album) and even Green Day (American Idiot). For run-of-the-mill bands like REM, Soul Asylum, Saigon Kick, Gin Blossons, and Toad The Wet Sprocket, they hit the radar big but once they start getting away they never comeback.

But the most special band of them all, the most talented of them all -- is U2! They are now on their second comeback. You are not supposed to comeback twice in the music industry. You just aren't. But U2 will do it. Don't mind their Billboard Chart drop from #28 to #31. The pain in only temporary. Next week, the effects of the Mullen Apology will start to come in and U2 will enjoy a climb up the chart rankings.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

Some are quick to slag off Bon Jovi, but they true artists and musicians.

Jon and Richie do solo albums on the side. Jon is an actor also. David Bryan does some movie or tv show musical scores. Tico Torres is a painter when he's not in the band. All of these are forms of art in some way. And even when they are not in the band, they always try to find ways to reinvent themselves and add things to their repertoire by still doing music related activities. I think this is one of the keys of Bon Jovi's success and longevity that is only surpassed by U2.

Cheers,

J

I agree. The members of Bon Jovi are artists, in the truest sense. Defintely moreso then the "IN" bands that are flavors of the month on boards such as these.

Flying FuManchu said:

I agree. The members of Bon Jovi are artists, in the truest sense. Defintely moreso then the "IN" bands that are flavors of the month on boards such as these.

Bon Jovi are completely unoriginal - you could argue their sound had already been done by the likes of Def Lep, Motley Crew etc. They are good at what they do but have very little critical acclaim. Its soft rock - sure it good every so often, but its a bit like eating a Big Mac. You enjoy it for the moment, but once finished, you feel empty inside.

Party Boy said:

Bon Jovi are completely unoriginal - you could argue their sound had already been done by the likes of Def Lep, Motley Crew etc. They are good at what they do but have very little critical acclaim. Its soft rock - sure it good every so often, but its a bit like eating a Big Mac. You enjoy it for the moment, but once finished, you feel empty inside.

For the sake of argument, EVEN if Bon Jovi's sound IS un-original, that doesn't take away from their artistic merit.

In terms of rock music, complete originality/ innovation is OVERRATED. They may have had peers that did similar style of music or borrowed from the past, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they took what they know and made it into their own discernible sound (and yes Bon Jovi has a discernible sound).

Bands such as the The Who, Jeff Beck Group, Led Zeppelin, Cream, etc... (even Hendrix) are all considered "innovators" but their sounds were somewhat similar to each other when they came out b/c all of them borrowed heavily from the blues and each other. So the whole idea of "originality" is a little overrated and over-emphasized IMO.

ALSO, you may feel that way about the Bon Jovi but there are millions of fans world-wide that consider the Bon Jovi to be more than a musical/ artistic Big Mac. Many fans who over the last 15 years have been fulfilled by that band's music. What you're saying is your subjective assessment, clouded by the media's elitist attitude.

Last edited:
Flying FuManchu said:

Oh please! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Flying FuManchu said:

What you're saying is your subjective assessment, clouded by the media's elitist attitude.

Ultimately every post made is their subjective assessment. Your view of Bon Jovi is your subjective assessment. Everyone is entitled to it - am not argueing that.

Secondly, speaking on behalf of myself, I can confirm to you that I
have never read any media articles about Bon Jovi. Thirdly, I can also confirm even if I had, I am quite capable of making up my own mind about how I feel about a band rather than what some form of media is telling me what I should feel. Its quite astounding that you have come to the conclusion that because I think of Bon Jovi's music is as memorable as .. god.. I don't know.. something I ate last week while rushing to the dogs... I am under the spell of the media's perception of Bon Jovi.

I think their music in general is akin to Status Quo. Within a few cords, you know exactly who it is. There are millions of people who bought Backstreet Boy records. Good for them if they like that kind of thing. It doesn't mean however, that they are any good critically. Commercially sure.. but you know, with a good marketing team behind anything, you can sell ice to eskimos. There is a market for everything.. one glance at the items on sale on Ebay confirms that.

If people are trying to compare Bon Jovi to U2, then it cannot be done on musical grounds. In my opinion (like everything in this post is) Bon Jovi have come no where near reinventing themselves as U2 have. The only band that has done to such a scale is the Beatles (probably larger scale - less than 7 years from Love Me Do to I am the Walrus). Bon Jovi members cutting their hair is part of reinvention? Oh please.. superficial. If U2 wore black clothes for first 10 years of their career and then started wearing red shirts with orange spots, does this count as a reinvention?

Muscially.. you know, i can't find any difference between Bon Jovi from 1986 to Bon Jovi in the '90s and today. In fact, the only difference is they have got worse. Again, my opinion, which has not been based or corrupted by any media, but purely based on having to listen to them.

Party Boy said:

Ultimately every post made is their subjective assessment. Your view of Bon Jovi is your subjective assessment. Everyone is entitled to it - am not argueing that.

Wrong. I think? :huh: I don't know who you are addressing or what you are talking about when referring to subjective assessments. Either way, every post made isn't a subjective assessment. jick gave examples of what the members of the Bon Jovi do in their free time outside of the band. All of it involved some form artistic expression (many of those examples being actual work that can be accessed by the public). I said they were artists in the truest sense. An artist is defined as:

1. One, such as a painter, sculptor, or writer, who is able by virtue of imagination and talent or skill to create works of aesthetic value, especially in the fine arts.

2. A person whose work shows exceptional creative ability or skill: You are an artist in the kitchen.

3. One, such as an actor or singer, who works in the performing arts.

The members of Bon Jovi fit with in the context of the definition. How is that subjective? Of course people can make jokes at the expense of the Bon Jovi, but how is my assessment subjective? I think not.

Secondly, speaking on behalf of myself, I can confirm to you that I
have never read any media articles about Bon Jovi. Thirdly, I can also confirm even if I had, I am quite capable of making up my own mind about how I feel about a band rather than what some form of media is telling me what I should feel. Its quite astounding that you have come to the conclusion that because I think of Bon Jovi's music is as memorable as .. god.. I don't know.. something I ate last week while rushing to the dogs... I am under the spell of the media's perception of Bon Jovi.

So have you listened to every Bon Jovi record released. Listened to every song on the album (like seriously listen as some U2 fans tell people in order to "get" U2 or HTDAAB). I guess you have, in order to have made the claims that you made about unfulfilling Big Macs and claims of un-originality. I mean you claim to have not read any article about the Bon Jovi and I assume you have never watched or listened to a program/ news item on the Bon Jovi either. Ooooooookay. :huh:

I think their music in general is akin to Status Quo. Within a few cords, you know exactly who it is. There are millions of people who bought Backstreet Boy records. Good for them if they like that kind of thing. It doesn't mean however, that they are any good critically. Commercially sure.. but you know, with a good marketing team behind anything, you can sell ice to eskimos. There is a market for everything.. one glance at the items on sale on Ebay confirms that.

Let me say something that I should have said before. An artist doesn't necessarily have to be "original" in order to be defined as an artist. I've also talked about the idea of "originality" in rock music before. People overrate the idea of originality in music so much. True artistic originality in rock is rare.

Also if you can hear a few chords from the Bon Jovi and tell who they are, that must mean something. I mean if you can tell something like that so easily then they must have have done something original/ distinct on their own or you would be confusing them with Def Lepoard, right?

If people are trying to compare Bon Jovi to U2, then it cannot be done on musical grounds. In my opinion (like everything in this post is) Bon Jovi have come no where near reinventing themselves as U2 have. The only band that has done to such a scale is the Beatles (probably larger scale - less than 7 years from Love Me Do to I am the Walrus). Bon Jovi members cutting their hair is part of reinvention? Oh please.. superficial. If U2 wore black clothes for first 10 years of their career and then started wearing red shirts with orange spots, does this count as a reinvention?

Muscially.. you know, i can't find any difference between Bon Jovi from 1986 to Bon Jovi in the '90s and today. In fact, the only difference is they have got worse. Again, my opinion, which has not been based or corrupted by any media, but purely based on having to listen to them.

U2's re-invention was just as much about image as it was the music. Same with the Beatles and guys like Bowie. For a rock star, changing one's image is very important for career viability in the rock scene. Musically, Bon Jovi has added more electronic elements/ modern studio innovations into their music. Case in point. Crush. Again, are the things that they do totally original? No, but that doesn't take away their rightful claim to the title of artist.

Last edited:
From allmusic.com on the Bon Jovi...

Few bands embodied the era of pop-metal like Bon Jovi. By merging Def Leppard's loud but tuneful metal with Bruce Springsteen's working-class sensibilities, the New Jersey-based quintet developed an ingratiatingly melodic and professional variation of hard rock — one that appealed as much to teenagers as to housewives.

Not only are they artists, but they do have something "original" or at the least different going for them.

You know, maybe I am getting lost in the depths of these posts but am trying to figure out what the members of Bon Jovi do while out of the band have anything to do with U2/trying to justify the comparisons with U2? Am really lost with that - have tried to read back through various points and either its me or you guys have gone to extreme lengths to proof a point I still have not got.

Regarding listening to all Bon Jovi records, nope I havent. I listened to their first few albums and bar one or two songs, I thought it was not for me. Anything I've heard since does nothing for me - the big mac comment I completely stand by. Similarly does that mean to not like any band or artist, you have to go through their whole back catalog to come to that conclusion? I best buy all Britney Spears albums, Megadeth albums, boy band albums etc then. Ooooookayyyyy.

Originality in my eyes is not over-rated. You talk about art - what exactly is art? Creatintg something new or rehashing something that has been done before? And thats where any attempt at comparisons with U2 start and end. Bon Jovi have never re-invented themselves musically. If you think they have fine. For me they sound exactly the same as they did 20 years ago - in fact worse as they seem to continuously attempt to play the rock balled mode which always seems to sell but never has any credibility (something aerosmith seem to have perfected).

In most cases yep I can tell a bon jovi song within first few cords. Does that mean they have a unique sound.. sure.. but its a unique sound built on sounds that have been done before. On a general basis, you can group Bon Jovi with the likes of Def Leppard, soft rock - whatever you want to call it. With U2, sure, they have some soft rock songs but they also cross a lot of other genres that Bon Jovi can only dream of.

People like you and Jick are talking about Bon Jovi's reinvention like it was a complete about turn. It wasn't. Sure, they added some new instruments and got a hair cut, but thats where it ended. Generally their music continued along the same path. U2 have done heavy euro disco beats with some of the songs on Pop and Zooropa, ambient blurr with Passengers, industrial dark music with Achtung Baby, and returned with panoramic landscape sounds of UF with ATYCLB (album I don't really like) and HTDAAB (album I do like). Thats in the last 14 years. Maybe I am missing something in Bon Jovi's music, but I cannot see the diversity or reinvention to that scale, in anything Bon Jovi have done in the last 15 years. If they do, then I'll hold my hands up and admit I'm wrong.

Am not argueing Bon Jovi aren't artists. That has never been my arguement. My point is that they are not comparable with U2 or reinvented themselves anywhere near the scale or level U2 did.

Last edited:
Wow! How could this veer so much off-topic to be a Bon Jovi vs. U2 thread? Let's take the history of this thread.

Bon Jovi was used only as an example to contrast with U2. Bon Jovi had one comeback, while U2 is going on their second.

Why people get so uneasy about U2 and Bon Jovi mentioned in the same sentence is beyond me. You don't have to get so defensive. I never said Bon Jovi are better than U2 anyway, and even if I did - it's only an opinion.

You can argue about reinvention forever, but if you are not familiar with the entire back catalogue and history of Bon Jovi, your argument is just as good as a grain of salt.

Musical comparisons to Def Leppard, Motley Crue etc. are just that - comparisons. The Big Mac analogy is just that also - an analogy. They are all valid if backed by good reasons.

My U2 / Bon Jovi comparisons are simple. I based it on commercial success, and the length of time they have maintained such. Bon Jovi's 1986 album, Slippery When Wet was a massive seller. U2's 1987 album, The Joshua Tree, was a massive seller. After that they experienced great successes commercially but also some flops. Then Bon Jovi made a "comeback" with It's My Life/ Crush sometime `99/`00. U2 made a "comeback" with Beautiful Day/ ATYCLB in `00/`01. Their commercial pattern is comparable. Both U2 and Bon Jovi have been around the same 14 year stretch. Both bands have sold over 100 million records worldwide. So my basis of comparison is the sales, not the music. If you want to talk about music, Bon Jovi are closer to Def Leppard while U2 are closer to Echo And The Bunnymen or The Killers. But those musical comparisons aren't the order of the dy, just commercial comparisons.

But after ATYCLB, U2 fell a notch with the pre-sale fiasco but they are making their second comeback thanks to the Mullen Apology. Bon Jovi, on the other hand, have released one commercial disappointment after another and have never comeback after their first comeback. So commercially, both bands have started to take separate roads nowadays.

Cheers,

J

Thats all fair enough. From the point of using another band as an example, REM is much better. With Out of Time and Automatic for the People, you could equally say was REM's point of reinvention. REM would also be a much better example due to their cross over appeal.

Btw, REM have had an amazing amount of singles. Shiny happy people is not that great granted. Everybody hurts is REM's One.

Anyway, comparisons are all subjective. I just don't think your example of Bon Jovi was a good one. Thats all!

Party Boy said:
Thats all fair enough. From the point of using another band as an example, REM is much better. With Out of Time and Automatic for the People, you could equally say was REM's point of reinvention. REM would also be a much better example due to their cross over appeal.

Btw, REM have had an amazing amount of singles. Shiny happy people is not that great granted. Everybody hurts is REM's One.

Anyway, comparisons are all subjective. I just don't think your example of Bon Jovi was a good one. Thats all!

My comparisons are really geared more towards the commercial success patterns of both Bon Jovi and U2. Whether Keep The Faith is reinvention to you or not, it was reinvention to the Bon Jovi fans who still accepted it with open arms. And even if it wasn't reinvention to you, it still had a similar commercial success pattern to Achtung Baby. So my comparison will always be valid in that sense. This thread is about comebacks, not about artistic reinvention. And comebacks that are primarily commercial in nature.

Cheers,

J

um not here in the us, keep the faith went double platium atchuing is 8 times platium. so no thier not on then same commercal pattern. bon jovi was a good band talened to enoguh to survive its limited genre. u2 is so much more then that. mabey since i'm just going by u2 numbers is why i;m not agreeing with what your saying. i;ve read alot about music and studyed it, and no ever talks about keep the fath and nay matter as far being "classic". good yes. not anything like AB.

allbecauseofu2 said:
um not here in the us, keep the faith went double platium atchuing is 8 times platium. so no thier not on then same commercal pattern. bon jovi was a good band talened to enoguh to survive its limited genre. u2 is so much more then that. mabey since i'm just going by u2 numbers is why i;m not agreeing with what your saying. i;ve read alot about music and studyed it, and no ever talks about keep the fath and nay matter as far being "classic". good yes. not anything like AB.

Always remember, U2 have a standard that is all unto themselves.

Double platinum is to Bon Jovi what Achtung sales is to U2. I'm even aware that ATYCLB is 4x platinum while Crush is two times platinum.

But this is a day and age where platinum is no given for a pop/rock band.

Cheers,

J

I really wish the people of Interference could read grey. Not everything is fucking black and white. Is the subtle humour and sarcasm so subtle that is requires constant explanation? Seems so.

Learn that our Jick is a mixed bag. There is a combination of humour, sarcasm and genuine thought in his posts. Either learn that it is not all the same all the way through his replies and posts, or accept that there is things in there you just dont get. Please do one or the other and stop this years old shit from going on and fucking on.

:banghead:

Back
Top Bottom