Bob Rock wants to work with U2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2007, 10:21 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:41 AM
Bob Rock wants to work with U2

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimesc...3-d42b27abff82

I found this article at the Metallica message board. I don't know if this has been posted or not but Bob Rock says he wants to produce U2 (he even mentions them on the SKOM film). I think it could work, U2 wanted to sound harder and they didn’t really got there in my opinion (at least not on the record), they got close but not quite, I think Bob Rock would be the one who could get them there. Like him I also think this is never going to happen but it would be cool if they tried this out for a couple of songs just to see what happens. It could work.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:34 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:41 PM
He's got the name for it.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:36 PM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 06:41 AM
If you've ever seen Bob's approach in the Metallica films "A Year And A Half In The Life of Metallica' as well as "Some Kind of Monster", he's a terrific producer.

Ironically, Metallica and Bob have decided to temporarily place their working relationship to the side so that Metallica can work with (dum dum duuum)...Rick Rubin, who will begin recording their new CD this month.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:15 AM   #4
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:41 AM
Interesting idea, Bob Rock with U2. When it comes to records that simply sound great from a production standpoint, it's hard to do better than Bob Rock. The music jumps out of the speakers and into the room -- anyone who's ever cranked Metallica's black album knows what I mean. I don't know what sort of effect he'd have on U2's songwriting/arranging, but given who he's worked with in the past, I'd expect a harder-rocking U2 if he ever collaborated with them. That's just fine by me, too, since I think most people (the general public, that is, not hardcore fans) severely underestimate U2's capacity to rock, and rock hard. Bring it on, says I. I'd love to hear it.

And hey, my first post! Hi, everyone.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:05 AM   #5
Refugee

all I have to offer is a pessimistic "blah!"
Old 01-14-2007, 11:00 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Allanah
Interesting idea, Bob Rock with U2. When it comes to records that simply sound great from a production standpoint, it's hard to do better than Bob Rock. The music jumps out of the speakers and into the room -- anyone who's ever cranked Metallica's black album knows what I mean. I don't know what sort of effect he'd have on U2's songwriting/arranging, but given who he's worked with in the past, I'd expect a harder-rocking U2 if he ever collaborated with them. That's just fine by me, too, since I think most people (the general public, that is, not hardcore fans) severely underestimate U2's capacity to rock, and rock hard. Bring it on, says I. I'd love to hear it.

And hey, my first post! Hi, everyone.
Great first post. I totally agree. The Black Album, Load and Reload sound really, really good, even years after they were made and have a great sound. I'm particularly fond of the Loads sound, it's a strong band sound and extremely well produced with never going over the top, great stuff. Bob Rock has worked with bands that have a very hard sound so he would know how to make the band not only sound harder (Edge obviously can get the right guitar sound too) but would know how to make the songwriting a bit more aggressive and on your face. I think when U2 wants to get more aggressive what they do is just make the guitar sound more like that and not the song itself, and exemple would be the Vertigo chorus, (as amazing songwriters that they are, they are still human beings) and Bob Rock would know where to lead them and get that harder and more aggressive feel to the songs I think. They could still bring Steve Lilywhite and Daniel Lanois to give their opinions on the songs if they felt it was necessary.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:26 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:41 AM
Didn't he produce St Anger?
Old 01-14-2007, 11:52 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:41 PM
It'd be cool if he produced a couple of their inherently "harder" tracks, and then left the rest of the tracks to, say, Eno/Lanois or Rick Rubin. (like a Vertigo, Love and Peace, or All Because of You)
Old 01-14-2007, 11:59 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
It took longer than I expected for someone to bring that one up. Yes, he certainly did. And I fucking love it! The idea of the record (after The Black Album and the Loads) was for it to be under produced, to be raw and simple, very garage like and not get too anal about it. The record still sounds great in my opinion, you can hear the band very well and it fits the kind of raw and on your face style of songwriting. It was a different kind of production approach. I dig it.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:01 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by LyricalDrug
It'd be cool if he produced a couple of their inherently "harder" tracks, and then left the rest of the tracks to, say, Eno/Lanois or Rick Rubin. (like a Vertigo, Love and Peace, or All Because of You)
Yeah, I wouldn't mind that either but I wouldn't mind if he gave his opinion on the other tracks as well so the record had one unified sound and didn’t sound like many records in one (like HTDAAB does in my opinion).
Old 01-14-2007, 01:19 PM   #11
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
If the fella managed to get a metallica album with no solos , imagine in u2 Besides the drums sounds crap in that album , Sorry Metallica , better sorry for St Anger's Album , but I think some Metallica songs are good , but from that album
Old 01-14-2007, 06:10 PM   #12
Acrobat

Yeah, the St. Anger drum sound... the snare kills me. A snare that goes "ping"? Sorry, Bob, but that sounded like crap. I know what the band was going for with that record. I think they accomplished it, but I don't think it was a good idea in the first place. Though I can say from experience that songs from St. Anger absolutely kill live.

And yes, BrazilianFly, the Black/Load/Reload sound is the one I'd be more interested in for U2. Even 10-15 years later, it doesn't sound dated. Fantastic stuff.

Did anyone ever see VH1's "Classic Albums" for Metallica's black album? I can't remember which song it was, but they played a guitar bit that didn't make into the final mix, one that Hetfield referred to as the "U2 guitars." He initially hated it, but listening back a decade later, he said it sounded great and wished someone had convinced him to leave it in. Go figure.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:09 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Allanah
Did anyone ever see VH1's "Classic Albums" for Metallica's black album? I can't remember which song it was, but they played a guitar bit that didn't make into the final mix, one that Hetfield referred to as the "U2 guitars." He initially hated it, but listening back a decade later, he said it sounded great and wished someone had convinced him to leave it in. Go figure.
Yeah, I love that. I think the part that James was talking about is something that is on the album, I think it's what Kirk plays during the chorus on Sad But True, the "I'm your dream, make you real..." part, he certainly plays it live. And it does sound like Edge. I love the fact that James not only knows the U2 sound but the expression he did when he heard that part and the way he said "Yeah, Kirk's U2 guitar!" is great. Kind of a little dream come true moment if you are a U2 and Metallica fan.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:07 PM   #14
Acrobat

That's it! Thanks; I've only seen that special once (and several years ago), so I couldn't remember any specifics. I know that Lars is a fan, but I wonder how the rest of the band regards U2.

And yeah, Metallica was my first musical obsession, so that was a very cool moment for me -- even if I wasn't fully into U2 at the time. Looking back on it, it makes me smile.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:32 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:41 PM
doesn't metallica have a fanbase much like U2's that is torn between their 80's work and their 90's work?