Bob Dylan & U2??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rythemwire

The Fly
Have these two ever done a song togather and if so what song !!! :eyebrow: are Bono and Bob friends??

All Along the Watchtower is a Dylan song. (lol, I'm pretty sure, even a broken clock is right twice a day) And Bono admired Dylan pre-U2 and apparently the two got on great when meeting etc. At the first Toronto Elevation concert, Bono paid tribute to Dylan's 60th birthday.

rythemwire said:
Have these two ever done a song togather and if so what song !!! :eyebrow: are Bono and Bob friends??

Yes the few songs they have done together, Bob only plays second fiddle (like backing vocals, organ). U2 have played quite a few Dylan songs - All Along The Watchtower, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Times A Changing, Maggie's Farm, I Shall Be Released ....and in all cases they have made their versions better than Dylan's. Many U2 fans actually consider it blasphemy to mention U2 and Bob Dylan in the same sentence because ever since the Johsua Tree, U2 had gone on to exceed Dylan in songwriting capability, in popularity and in influence. It is not sure whether Bono and Bob are "friends" in the strict sense of the word, as most indication point that they have only had a professional relationship together. If I remember right, a mediocre Bob Dylan album once robbed U2's POP of a deserving Grammy. While their friendship is not a certainty, it sure is a certainty that Bob Dylan is a big fan of Bono and U2.

Cheers,

J

Re: Re: Bob Dylan & U2??

jick said:
If I remember right, a mediocre Bob Dylan album once robbed U2's POP of a deserving Grammy.

Considering how much you've said Pop was incomplete, I find it most ironic that you say it deserved a Grammy.

The Grammy's are a joke anyway.

Re: Re: Re: Bob Dylan & U2??

Axver said:

Considering how much you've said Pop was incomplete, I find it most ironic that you say it deserved a Grammy.

The Grammy's are a joke anyway.

I have stated many times, POP looks pale when compared to other U2 albums, but POP was still the best album of its era, easily better songwriting than the derivative OK Computer or Bob Dylan's rehash trash Time Out Of Mind. But if you compare POP to masterpieces like JT, AB, or ATYCLB - that is only when the discrepancy comes out.

Cheers,

J

I heard that Bob Dylan no longer speaks to Bono. He used to be friends with him, but apparently Bono talked too much and revealed things Dylan had told him in secret to others, Dylan got mad at him for being a blabbermouth and they haven't spoken since. If that's true, I pity Bono, because I've had people get mad at me for the same thing. Sigh, you just never know what someone will get touchy about! I'm sure if Dylan had told him not to tell it, he wouldn't have.

I don't know about them being friends, but both in their own right are legends, I wouldn't necessarily say anyone is better than the other (if only because I don't know Dylan's music well enough and I don't think I can objectively talk, as a U2 fan). While it's true U2 exceeded Dylan in sheer popularity and sales/tours success, I'm not sure they did in infuencing others and songwriting (with all due respect to Bono) skills.

Definitely U2 (Bono) is a fan of Dylan, because they contacted him to collaborate on their album and I think Bono often mentions Dylan as one of his heroes/influences. I'm guessing since he said yes, Dylan at least likes U2 (Bono), if he's not a big fan.

If Leeloo is right, then I would also say if Dylan didn't want certain things to get out, he shouldn't have shared them in the first place! It was never a secret Bono talks a lot. (I don't know if he would spill something confidential though...)

:shrug:

Last edited:
david said:
Bob and Bono's name both start with a "B" and they both play harmonica very well.

well yeah...

because, as we (U2 fans) all know, Bono's real name is... well... Bono... :|

Enough of this thread. Let's end this now. It is great blashpmeny to mention Bono with that old fart in the same sentence. He's a has-been who was been over-the-hill for the past three decades - this ain't the 70's anymore. Dylan has long overdued his welcome while U2 are still beginning to hit their second stride and second lease on life (thanks to the brilliant ATYCLB).

Cheers,

J

Hello

His comments were indeed not Dylanesque. Having heard Dylan live a few months ago I can certainly say, language issues or not, that jick's comments are way off. It's a blasphemy to speak about Dylan like that!

:tongue:

Marty

Bob Dylan

Ok Jick,

DO NOT EVER TALK ABOUT DYLAN BADLY.

Seriously,Dylan has changed the way music is and was made.He has influenced Rap,"homesick blues" Rock,"like a rolling stone" Folk,''blowin in the wind'' ,Blues,"Tomstone blues" and gospel, "every grain of sand". He is the one of the very few best lyricist of all time. His influncece is all over music and always will be.

For God's sake, he changed the way people think on some levels.

Dylan=:cool:

Re: Bob Dylan

rythemwire said:
Ok Jick,

DO NOT EVER TALK ABOUT DYLAN BADLY.

Seriously,Dylan has changed the way music is and was made.He has influenced Rap,"homesick blues" Rock,"like a rolling stone" Folk,''blowin in the wind'' ,Blues,"Tomstone blues" and gospel, "every grain of sand". He is the one of the very few best lyricist of all time. His influncece is all over music and always will be.

For God's sake, he changed the way people think on some levels.

Dylan=:cool:

And just when were those songs written? I meant to say Dylan is a has-been and has not been a factor in the music biz the past couple of decades.

Cheers,

J

Re: Re: Bob Dylan

jick said:

And just when were those songs written? I meant to say Dylan is a has-been and has not been a factor in the music biz the past couple of decades.

Cheers,

J

He's been a factor to me and I'm only 19 :shrug:

Re: Re: Re: Bob Dylan

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

He's been a factor to me and I'm only 19 :shrug:

Yes he has, thanks to his older songs - not the recent ones.

Cheers,

J

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bob Dylan

jick said:

Yes he has, thanks to his older songs - not the recent ones.

Cheers,

J

Speak for yourself from now on, ok? I don't care if we never agree on anything, but please don't ever presume to know what I like or not and whether or not it has influenced me. :madspit:

A lot of older stars aren't important on the current music scene but still influence young fans every day. I think that's what J means, that he hasn't been important ON THE CURRENT MUSIC SCENE in the last 25 years, or more. But he is a legend.

Back
Top Bottom