blu-ray?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andyuk

Refugee
not sure if this is the right section or not but do U2 have any plans to release any of the dvd's on blu-ray in the near future?

intedomine said:
Hope not, sick of technology updating. We don't need Blu-Ray disks or whatever.
:| what we dont want to see future U2 tours (or past for that matter), in total hi definition?

xaviMF22 said:

I believe it was released in both formats :wink:

Same here. :hmm:

Blu-ray is pointless. Picture-wise, it's probably about the same as HD. :wink: The only thing good about it is size...

LemonMelon said:

Same here. :hmm:

Blu-ray is pointless. Picture-wise, it's probably about the same as HD. :wink: The only thing good about it is size...

if PS3 sales go up....Blu-ray will win:wink:

and I've studied both formats and blu
ray is clearly better :p

xaviMF22 said:

if PS3 sales go up....Blu-ray will win:wink:

and I've studied both formats and blu
ray is clearly better :p

PS3 sales can't go up...it's a bomb. Wii has the innovation, X-Box 360 has all the extra crap, and PS3 has a giant price tag. :p

And Blu-ray is no doubt at least slightly better...that's why it costs so much more. :drool:

LemonMelon said:

PS3 sales can't go up...it's a bomb. Wii has the innovation, X-Box 360 has all the extra crap, and PS3 has a giant price tag. :p

And Blu-ray is no doubt at least slightly better...that's why it costs so much more. :drool:

PS3 price goes down ---- Blu-Ray sales go up :p

MSG 4 :drool::drool:

Wii will fade out..its low graphical capabilities..compared to Xbox 360 & and the PS3 will kill it :(

We shall see, won't we? :wink: All I know is that, from the start, Sony dug themselves into a hole so large I'm sure the makers of the Guinness Book Of World Records would be interested in checking it out.

LemonMelon said:
We shall see, won't we? :wink: All I know is that, from the start, Sony dug themselves into a hole so large I'm sure the makers of the Guinness Book Of World Records would be interested in checking it out.

yea not a good start
but once the killer games come out--

:drool:

you will be proven wrong :wink:

< PSA >

Blu-ray is HD (High Definition), as is HD-DVD. They both display images at the same high-definition resolutions (720p, 1080i and 1080p) and have the storage space on the discs to carry higher-quality sound. The only real differences between the two formats are the encoding used to store and display the HD images, and the amount of storage space on the physical discs. With identical sound systems, there's almost no discernible visual difference between the two unless you've got a digital projector and a 9-foot screen.

Right now Blu-ray has something like a 5 to 1 install base advantage over HD-DVD, mostly due to PS3's (which should tell you how few HD-DVD players are actually being bought). And with Toshiba and other manufacturers releasing combo players (that play both kinds of discs), it's not likely either side will "win" any time soon.

To be honest, the two formats may be prettier than regular Standard Definition DVD's, and may have more storage space on the discs, but they don't really offer anything new compared to DVD's...kinda like Laserdiscs. I see both High Definition DVD formats meeting the same fate: niche, and never coming anywhere close to being a "standard" or "winner".

The next big "winner" in how we watch movies and such is going to happen when homes get enough cheap bandwidth to be able to stream full HD quality movies over the net, and when the content providers have enough cheap bandwidth to supply them...why bother with physical media when a few button presses on your remote could call up any movie ever made, whenever you want?

R&H has been released in Blu-ray format, and the HD-DVD version is planned but not yet released.

< /PSA >

mwheelonh said:
< PSA >

Blu-ray is HD (High Definition), as is HD-DVD. They both display images at the same high-definition resolutions (720p, 1080i and 1080p) and have the storage space on the discs to carry higher-quality sound. The only real differences between the two formats are the encoding used to store and display the HD images, and the amount of storage space on the physical discs. With identical sound systems, there's almost no discernible visual difference between the two unless you've got a digital projector and a 9-foot screen.

Right now Blu-ray has something like a 5 to 1 install base advantage over HD-DVD, mostly due to PS3's (which should tell you how few HD-DVD players are actually being bought). And with Toshiba and other manufacturers releasing combo players (that play both kinds of discs), it's not likely either side will "win" any time soon.

To be honest, the two formats may be prettier than regular Standard Definition DVD's, and may have more storage space on the discs, but they don't really offer anything new compared to DVD's...kinda like Laserdiscs. I see both High Definition DVD formats meeting the same fate: niche, and never coming anywhere close to being a "standard" or "winner".

The next big "winner" in how we watch movies and such is going to happen when homes get enough cheap bandwidth to be able to stream full HD quality movies over the net, and when the content providers have enough cheap bandwidth to supply them...why bother with physical media when a few button presses on your remote could call up any movie ever made, whenever you want?

< /PSA >
as great as that is

I don't see it happening any time soon :(

:nerd:

Capacity:

Blu Ray:
25 GB (single layer)
54 GB (dual layer)

HD DVD:
15 GB (single layer)
30 GB (dual layer)

Studios which Support the Format:

Blu Ray:
20th Century Fox
Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Electronic Arts
MGM Studios
Paramount Pictures
Sony Pictures Entertainment
The Walt Disney Company
Vivendi Universal Games
Warner Bros.

HD DVD:
Buena Vista Home Entertainment
New Line Cinema
Paramount Pictures
The Walt Disney Company
Universal Studios
Warner Bros.
The Weinstein Company/Genius

Danny Boy said:
Blockbuster recently announced that they will only be carrying Blu-ray in their retail stores.

Sounds like the death knell for HD-DVD to me.

4-5 years ago, yes, but Blockbuster's numbers are down like the plague since then. If Netfilx and Amazon were to do this, then yeah, it'd be news, but the only people I know who go to Blockbuster are folks who still think AOL on dialup is the pinnacle of this "internet" thing.

In the latest figures I've seen, mail order still only makes up 20% of all DVD rentals, so someone is still going to Blockbuster.

And it's probably adults over age 35; the ones who have more disposable income and big home theaters and are likely to drop a grand on an HD media player.

alh77 said:
I've seen Rattle And Hum on BluRay at best Buy

I'm not positive, but I believe R&H holds the distinction of being the only film ever released in every available format since it's inception:

VHS (beta?)
Laserdisk
DVD
VCD
PSP
Blue Ray
HD-DVD
iTunes

We need Blue Ray, Blue Ray is the winner in the race, why? It has better quality then HD-Dvd, more movie companys support it. Also when the Ps3 price will be cheaper it will groove more. Just like sales for dvd went better when Ps2 was released.

I work at Sony. We need Blu-Ray to "win". Just so I can keep a roof over my head and food on the table. Especially after the disastrous UMD debacle.

Danny Boy said:
In the latest figures I've seen, mail order still only makes up 20% of all DVD rentals, so someone is still going to Blockbuster.

And it's probably adults over age 35; the ones who have more disposable income and big home theaters and are likely to drop a grand on an HD media player.

dont people buy dvds from the guy on the car boot sale no more?:|

Peterrrrr said:
We need Blue Ray, Blue Ray is the winner in the race, why? It has better quality then HD-Dvd, more movie companys support it. Also when the Ps3 price will be cheaper it will groove more. Just like sales for dvd went better when Ps2 was released.

:lmao:

you know why Blu Ray will win? (and is something I've always said)

because people, normal people, can't say "HD-DVD"... it's too long..

BLUE RAY sounds nice, easy to say and to remember... its 2 words, not 5 letters...

"daddy, I want a blue ray for xmas" :up:

"daddy, I want a HD-DVD (eich de de ve de :crazy: ) for xmas" :down:

it's as simple as that..

I still want the PS3 to fail :wink:, but that has nothing to do

Back
Top Bottom