Bloody Sunday article from CNN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clarityat3am

I Serve Larry's Stick
http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/01/30/nireland.sunday/index.html

LONDONDERRY, Northern Ireland -- A minute's silence will be held in parts of Londonderry on Wednesday to mark the 30th anniversary of Bloody Sunday.

Fourteen people died when soldiers opened fire on a Catholic civil rights march in the city on January 30, 1972.

An inquiry currently being held into the events of Bloody Sunday has been temporarily be suspended as a mark of respect.

And a procession will be held on Sunday -- along the original march route -- to commemorate the Catholics that died.

"Ten years, 20 years, now 30 years, they're all significant because they're big, big steps," said Kevin McDaid, whose brother Michael, 20, was killed on Bloody Sunday.

The minute of silence will be held at 4:15 p.m. -- the time when paratroops opened fire. The army says they only began firing after they were shot at from a nearby block of flats.

The gunfire lasted 15 minutes after which 13 were dead and 14 were left wounded -- one dying later of his wounds.

The clergyman who became one of the defining images of the day is joining the ceremony. A photograph of Edward Daly -- who went on to become a Catholic Bishop -- waving a blood-splattered handkerchief was shown around the world after Bloody Sunday and Daly became a hero for administering last rites to victims amid the gunfire.

A first inquiry held shortly after Bloody Sunday exonerated the military and no soldier has ever faced charges in connection with the deaths.

The current inquiry, ordered by Prime Minister Tony Blair, is proving to be the most expensive in British history.

Chaired by Lord Saville of Newdigate, it has heard testimony from more than 475 witnesses since it opened in March 2000 and is expected to have cost ?100 million ($141 million) by the time it winds up in 2004.

------------------
"It's all about drums."

Proud owner of the mofoin Discoboos (boom cha!) and Larry's stick...hehe.

Whether you love me or hate me you can still email me: clarityat3am@hotmail.com

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:
Thank You Clarity for posting that.

DB9

You're welcome.
smile.gif

Thanks clarity.

mdf120976.jpg

A man walks past a fresh mural depicting a scene from the Bloody Sunday riots in the Catholic nationalist Bogside estate of Londonderry, Northern Ireland, January 27, 2002. Sunday February 3rd, thousands will take part in the 30th anniversary of Bloody Sunday, where British Paratroopers opened fired on a civil rights march, killing 13 and wounding 14. (Paul McErlane/Reuters)

mdf120977.jpg

A workman restores a memorial listing the names of people killed on Bloody Sunday, in the Bogside area of Londonderry, Northern Ireland, January 27, 2002.

----------------------------
How long...
How long must we sing this song?
How long? How long...
'cause tonight...we can be as one
Tonight...tonight...

Back
Top Bottom