Bloody Sunday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rafiennes

Refugee
(apologies if this has been posted a million times already) Just saw the movie Bloody Sunday over the weekend, and three things:

1. Amazing film! Filmed in an almost documentary style so you get the sense of watching events as they unfold.
2. James Nesbitt should have been nominated for an Oscar. His performance is that good.
3. The live performance of Sunday Bloody Sunday at the end of the film is so powerful that the filmmakers let the song go on, well after the credits have ended, all over a black screen. And after seeing the movie, the song is moved into a whole other place for me. I mean, I knew about the massacre, but to see the way it was presented and hideousness of the army's actions...SBS has moved up quite a few notches on the U2 song list for me.

Amazing movie, check it out, but be prepared to be moved.

I couldn?t see the movie Bloody Sunday on cinema before, but I got to see it on DVD this Saturday night. It?s amazing, great movie, the production is unique and simple at the same time. It is shot only using handicams, seems like a documentary sometimes....but it?s perfect, that story couldn?t be told in a different way IMO.

I highly recommend the extra features, especially seeing the movie again with the commentaries of the director, Paul Greengrass and the Irish actor who played the main role, John Nesbitt. Although the story happened in Derry, a good part of the movie was shot in Dublin, more especifically in Ballymun.

Paul Greengrass mentions U2 twice in his commentaries. First when he talks about the youth in Northern Ireland at that time, early 70s, when Bloody Sunday ocurred, and the differences of their lives in comparison to the next generation, U2?s generation. Then at the end of the movie, Sunday Bloody Sunday plays along with the credits. He said he was there at Croke Park in 1987, when the band played the song and that, singing along with them "how long must we sing this song" was the beginning for him, that?s when he felt he had to tell that story. He?s completed in love with the song and the message of its lyrics and he says that the version he chose to be featured in the film emphasizes the beauty of the song. He ends refering to U2?s amazing achievements throughout their career and their legacy along with other Irish people who have fought for peace for more than 30 years.

You know, seeing the movie made me understand and love that song even more, its power and its beauty. No other song could be featured in that film. I?m sure that both, song and film, will keep on touching people?s lives for years to come.

Back
Top Bottom