Blast from the past- very early U2 review!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Digging through old stuff in the closets, I came across some old magazines. Here is an interesting review from the May 31, 1981 issue of Circus:

U2-Boy:

U2 make great fog machine music. The band's album has a misty, expansive feel- droning in atmosphere but driving in pace, and propelled by enthusiastic bass and drum lines. Ace producer Steve Lillywhite captures it all, paying fine attention to such details as the sharp glockenspiel highlights of "I Will Follow."

The Irish-born U2 are very young, the eldest is only 20, and not surprisingly their lyrical delivery presents adolescent awkwardness as some kind of existential dilemma. The group's striking, trippy sound makes this potentially pretentious sentiment endearing, and with music as hot as "An Cat Dubh" one is tempted to run off into their haze forever.

By Jim Farber, Circus Magazine

Oh, it has a cute little pic of Edge and Bono onstage with the caption:

Ireland's U2 plays a sinuous brand of rock replete with dreamy guitar solos and moody studio echos.

Whatever happened to them young boys did anyone 'run off into their haze forever' besides me?

Aww. How cute.
smile.gif

I love stuff like this, because no one, not even the band members could have imagined the greatness to come! Wow.

I love reading stuff like this! I have a bunch of clippings from UK's Record Mirror from 1979/1980 about U2...its sooo cool to see what was written about them then, and to look where they are now! Man, I love this group!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

Back
Top Bottom