Billie Joe Armstrong on U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
I saw it in Entertainment Weekly, it was an old issue from Feb. I just saw at someone's house. He said "U2 started out as a punk band and became something much more. And I don't see anything wrong with that" He also said he hoped to be like U2 and still be around with the same members in another 10 years. (Green Day also still has all the original members)

Aardvark I second that. Respect to U2 but American Idiot is the album of the year 2004. All hits, no misses.
:ohmy:
cheers,
dr.dae

dr.dae said:
Aardvark I second that. Respect to U2 but American Idiot is the album of the year 2004. All hits, no misses.
:ohmy:
cheers,
dr.dae

I have to respectfully disagree.

U2's HTDAAB may have hints of U2's past, but it's also experimental with tracks like "Vertigo" and especially "Love & Peace" and "Fast Cars".

In contrast, when I listen to "American Idiot", I'm transported to the mid-90's when "Dookie" first came out. In fact, I can't tell the difference between the two albums - they sound exactly the same.

This isn't to say this is necessarily a bad thing - but I'm hard-pressed to call this album the "Album of the Year" when it sounds so similar to past works.

Regardless, U2 won't be competing with Green Day at the 2006 Grammies for this award.

doctorwho said:

U2's HTDAAB may have hints of U2's past, but it's also experimental with tracks like "Vertigo" and especially "Love & Peace" and "Fast Cars".

In contrast, when I listen to "American Idiot", I'm transported to the mid-90's when "Dookie" first came out. In fact, I can't tell the difference between the two albums - they sound exactly the same.

This isn't to say this is necessarily a bad thing - but I'm hard-pressed to call this album the "Album of the Year" when it sounds so similar to past works.

Regardless, U2 won't be competing with Green Day at the 2006 Grammies for this award.

I don't think Green Day could have written an album like American Idiot back when they released Dookie....

Actually, Green Day does not have all of the original members. Tre Cool didn't join the band until they released Kerplunk, though I don't recall the original drummer's name. Still, Tre was around by the time they made Dookie, their first major label release.

I've started claiming Green Day as the "biggest" band in the world (or at least the US) right now. Of course, I'm just talking 2004-05. It's kind of refreshing to think of U2 as the underdog.

doctorwho said:

:eyebrow: I'm not sure if you're listening to the same album! No way does American Idiot sound like Dookie!!! I know the title track is pretty formulaic in sound but Jesus of Suburbia??? Cmon. Every song here tells a story! Dookie is just a fun record in contrast. Back in the 90s, I don't think they were too concerned with serious worldly issues. I would say AI is definitely album of the year 2004 with HTDAAB just falling behind because of certain awkward moments. Okay okay, its just my opinion. Don't kill me. :wink:

American Idiot does sound like the same old, same old on the first listen. I suggest listening to it more, though. Rock isn't about complexity, it's about feeling, and they've gained a lot of depth in that department.

Back
Top Bottom