Billboard Charts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
unfortunately this is still last weeks chart, but a great jump none-the-less. This week ATYCLB drops to number 16 on Billboard and O'Brother rises to number 1. Still quite good for U2!

Originally posted by womanfish:
unfortunately this is still last weeks chart, but a great jump none-the-less. This week ATYCLB drops to number 16 on Billboard and O'Brother rises to number 1. Still quite good for U2!

Slight correction: ATYCLBdrops to #17, not #16, on this week's chart (Week #71 of ATYCLB's release). And while "O Brother..." did rise to #1, it dropped by over 50,000 copies in sales from the prior week. ATYCLB slipped by only 24,000 copies. This suggests that ATYCLB might remain more stable over the coming weeks - in terms of sales - than "O Brother...".
smile.gif

Well Doc.......actually I beg to differ.
An album at the top is most likely to drop in sales more than an album than one that is in that "stable" area of the charts.
Ofcourse, based on how many times you have been correct, and me being wrong, I'm starting to doubt my own thoughts....
biggrin.gif

Bless ya!
biggrin.gif

WHYWHY

Originally posted by WHYWHY:
Well Doc.......actually I beg to differ.
An album at the top is most likely to drop in sales more than an album than one that is in that "stable" area of the charts.
Ofcourse, based on how many times you have been correct, and me being wrong, I'm starting to doubt my own thoughts....
biggrin.gif

Bless ya!
biggrin.gif

WHYWHY

I guess I need to clarify.

While ATYCLB saw a significant post-Grammy drop, it was, in terms of actual number of copies, about the same or far less than both Keys's album and the "O Brother..." soundtrack. As such, I don't think ATYCLB will plummet down the charts now that the Grammies are over. I think it will just slowly decline - unless a new single is promoted to radio and it catches on (like "Stuck..." did).

Also, the "O Brother..." soundtrack, since it was released over a year ago, has responded strongly to even a hint of promotion. That's probably because there was no true promotion for the album nor any true single released. Therefore, any time the album received some sort of airplay or recognition, it instantly bounced up the charts. But overall, it has been charting better and selling better than ATYCLB - as has Keys' album. And I guess that's the "sad" thing here. While ATYCLB has been a success, U2 have REALLY had to work hard to get it to that level. A long tour, constant in-person promotions, various commercial promotions - and the album still will just make 4x Platinum. Now, that's a very VERY respectable number - but a far cry from the sales that Creed and Linkin Park are receiving for their "masterpieces."

Dr. Who,
That is true about Creed and Linkin Park doing so well without as many TV appearnces or as long a tour. But ATYCLB has not recieved the blanket airplay that every single from Creed and Linkin Parks latest albums have. Everything they have released goes into the top 5 of National airplay and stays there for weeks on end. Walk On and Elevation both failed to chart on the HOT 100. "Stuck...." peaked at #52! Then only single to crack the top 40, Beautiful Day, only made it to #21.
In contrast for POP, Discotheque made it to #22 in airplay, Staring at the Sun made it to #26 on the HOT 100, and Last Night on Earth made it to #74 in Airplay and into the 50s I believe on the HOT 100. Yes singles were actually released back then which helped, but still #22 for airplay for Discotheque and #74 for airplay for Last Night On Earth. When it comes to radio airplay, it seems that POP either recieved and equal amount as ATYCLB or even more.
With so little radio airplay for ATYCLB, it is truly amazing to see the album about to be certfied for 4 million in sales. Just imagine what top 10 airplay for each song released from ATYCLB would have done as far as sales of the album. The key to having an album sale 10 million copies in the USA is radio airplay, not Grammy awards or brief TV appearances.

Back
Top Bottom