Biggest Surprise of this Tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

batesmotel

Babyface
What song do you reckon is the biggest surprise song that they played on the entire Elevation tour? A song that you never would have expected them to play?

Mine is In God's Country.

Covers don't count, nor do snippets.

PS: sorry if this is a common thread!!

I would have to agree with In God's Country. I never thought they would play that song again. And I'm sorry I wasnt there to hear it because its one of my favorite songs.

------------------
These days, days, days run away like horses over the hill...

Sicy's Website

Photo Albums

Slow Dancing in Providence 2-I was so lucky to be there to hear it
smile.gif

------------------
If you are really good friends with The Edge, you can just call him The~ Adam

The right side of my brain is kinda redundant~ Larry

In God's Country (sniff, sniff--I missed it by two shows) plus I was lucky enough to see Slow Dancing and Party Girl in Providence!

------------------
"When you've seen beyond yourself then you may see peace of mind is waiting there
And the time will come when you see we're all one
And life flows on within you and without you"

"All things must pass
All things must pass away"

Peace George

They play it to death now but when they played Out Of Control for the first time in 11 years in Chicago on the first leg I was very surprised.

Johnny, they played In God's Country acoustic at the 3rd leg Phoenix and Dallas shows. You can download the Phoenix version on U2LA's site.

yup, hearing the opening lines to in gods country at the phoenix show i went to on a whim was literally jaw dropping. im sad snippets and covers dont count!

alison

------------------

It doesn't matter what songs we sing. I'm a drummer. Chicks dig me. - Larry

We Love You would have to be the biggest surprise for me. After all, how many times do we get to hear new material live before it's released?

------------------
And I felt like a star...

AND according to U2tours "In God's Country" was played again tonight in Miami with Bono playing harmonica at the end.

Hmmm....well first leg in San Jose...they played SO CRUEL!!!!!!

ANd don't forget Oakland night 2, major surprise! Bono and fan played A Sort of Homecoming! That was very sweet!

sj

------------------
"The world is often a wicked place, when you look around, but it's also full of beauty...and beauty is the consolation prize really...and we just have to find more of it and we have to look for it in unexpected places...its not just in those fashion spreads,
that's not real beauty...There is beauty to be found in everyday things."
?Bono
http://home.pacbell.net/sylviaji/

So Cruel in SJ???? What part of the setlist was that in? It isnt listed as part of the setlist for either SJ show on U2tours.com and I dont recall hearing it in either of the bootlegs of those shows that I have. Is it just a snippet somewhere?

Yah for In God's Country! I'm just so happy that I was there to hear it. Feck I want to go back so bad.

Originally posted by Blue Room:

Johnny, they played In God's Country acoustic at the 3rd leg Phoenix and Dallas shows. You can download the Phoenix version on U2LA's site.

HOLY MOFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I HAD NO IDEA>!@#$@#%@$*^@#$%

They should have used the acoustic set as a way to be more spontaneous throughout the whole tour. But that is excellent.

------------------
The numeral 7

[This message has been edited by Se7en (edited 12-02-2001).]

It is tied for me between the following for me:

1. The Fly (even though it was on almost all the 1st leg and I even predicted it would be great for this tour, I never thought theyd actually do it and do it so damn well)

2. Spanish Eyes in Barcelona (why dont I have that mp3 up on my site?). A great song, a decent go at it but of course, its been years since they have played it etc etc...

3. We Love You in Antwerp. Even if that song never apperars anywhere again, how often does one get to have a live U2 jam session done for them? Aside for the Axtung BeiBei bootlegs, how often do such recordings make it to the light of day? That was a really cool exciting and surprising moment on the tour for me.

4. PLEASE. After it not being played on the first two legs, it was INDEED a surprise when it made an appearance on the 3rd Leg. And a pleasant one indeed. Love it in Providence with whats his name on the piano.

------------------
Camilo Arenivar

Email: U2LA2000@hotmail.com

AOL Instant Message: nohocamilo

Yahoo Messenger: u2la2000

http://www.U2LA.com

since they only played it twice in 15 years (according to Bono), I would have to say In God's Country as well...but Spanish Eyes and Slow Dancing are way up there too....

Still would have killed to hear them play Big Girls are best!

Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon:
PLEASE- and I was there full the only full band version this tour!

Yeah, the full band version was a real surprise for Leg 3. I really really wanted them to continue with a full band version of that song too. Does anyone know if an mp3 of that night's version exists? I would love to hear it/have it/share it!

Originally posted by Gina Marie:
Slow Dancing in Providence 2-I was so lucky to be there to hear it
smile.gif

ditto and ditto!!
smile.gif

------------------
She tied you to the kitchen chair
She broke your throne She cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah

* U2 Take Me Higher *

'A Sort Of Homecoming' full band, 08/25/01 Slane Castle. It surprised all 80,000+ people there and the energy and excitement it created was amazing. The coolest thing was that it was planned, not like in Oakland (not to take away the specialness of that night though).

Otherwise I'd say the biggest surprises would be 'Slow Dancing' and 'Party Girl' but I never heard them, so they don't count
biggrin.gif
lol

------------------
"It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight..."

For me it was hearing Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses in Las Vegas. I had heard about them adding the sibbet during a few prior shows, but I wasn't expecting it to sound as good as it did.

Another major surprise was Bono looking directly into my eyes at the Dallas show (I was standing front-row center, so I know I'm not full of shit). That was the most surreal moment of the past year, so I'd say that was MY PERSONAL surprise
smile.gif

I try not to look at just one song as a surprise. If you are a fan of any longevity and if you have attended previous tours, the biggest surprise had to be the total number of different songs they played for us on this tour. Follow this link and see for yourself.
http://bigapple.free.fr/stats.htm

You can see what song was played and how many different nights it was played on the Elevation Tour. Roughly 48 different songs, not including snippets. Maybe the setlists didn't seem to differ from night to night, but it was very well possible U2 might debut a new song on any given night.

------------------
I hit an iceberg in my life
You know I'm still afloat
You lose your balance, lose your wife
In the queue for the lifeboat

[This message has been edited by Jayhawk (edited 12-03-2001).]

Out of control!!!!!!!
smile.gif
I was jumping so hi in the heart during that song that I nearly hit my head on the roof of the arena!

There were quite a few actually...

I was at Slane and SOHC was great but I was told beforehand it was on the cards.

In God's Country, All Along the Watchtower and Out of Control were great suprises.

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimsom sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

Yeah IN GODs COUNTRY! I love that song! And I was surprise when I read they played!! DAMN IT, wish I had heard it!
wink.gif

Well, it was also cool to hear "Stand By Me" in Sacramento!
smile.gif

------------------
I know someday you'll have a beautiful life.
I know you'll be a star in somebody else's sky
but why, why, why can't it be, oh, can't it be mine?

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

[This message has been edited by SweetOnU2 (edited 12-03-2001).]

The Fly rocked my world on the first leg!

Stay, 11 o'clock, Out of Control = first time hearing live!!
smile.gif

Wild Honey live is much better than the studio version. (I think that about all U2 songs tho)

New York live is AWESOME!

dusting off the older stuff. Please was a great surprise at NYC3 as well as them finishing that show with Out of Control since none of us would leave-- including the firefighters on stage. And I have to say the firefighters and cops at the Notre Dame and NYC3 show were a very pleasant surprise for me. But I'm from NYC so I have a soft spot in my heart for those guys now.

Biggest surprise...Arun V doing vocals in hamilton..guitar..I can understand...making up lyrics like bono...Priceless!!

I would have to agree with Angel and Bono_man (a big massive hi to you both by the way!
biggrin.gif
) about A Sort Of Homecoming being played at Slane 1.

I heard rumours beforehand that it would be played but I thought at the time nah, they wouldnt but they did, which was cool!

I was also surprised to see the inclusion of Out of Control at Chicago back in June, I think it was and also amazed to see the inclusion of In God's Country, I never thought that song would be played live again.....hmmmm makes me wonder what surprises U2 will have in store for us on their (maybe) next European tour next year eh? Will we hear the likes of Hawkmoon269 (I know a snippet of it was played on this tour but I mean the whole song), Zoo Station, Lemon, or Exit? I guess we will have to wait and see wont we?

biggrin.gif

dougal

When, Bono lingered on the edge of the heart in Hartford, accustic guitar in hand at the end of "One" and proceeded to sing "She's A Mystery To Me".

Or, when he broke into "In My Life" before stuck.

Or, when he went into a vicious rage at the end of "Bullet The Blue Sky".

Or, when he slipped in a tiny snippet of Joy Division in earlier in the concert "Dance, dance, dance!"

Back
Top Bottom