Biggest/Best Band in the World by year since 1980

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The biggest band in the world or biggest artist in the world is usually judged based on two factors, global album sales of the latest album released and the concert ticket sales of that artist or bands latest tour. In general who the biggest artist or band is for any year or group of years should be based on that criteria, meaning an artist or group would be eligible for the title in any given year, even if they did not release an album or tour that year, as long as they were still an active band.

This thread is about the biggest band in the world in any given year not biggest artist in the world. Bruce Springsteen, Sting and Prince are solo artist, not bands. U2 is the perfect example of a band.

Here are the biggest band in the world from year to year, based on a combination of the bands album selling strength and concert selling strength of their latest album and tour.

1964 Beatles
1965 Beatles
1966 Beatles
1967 Beatles
1968 Beatles
1969 Beatles
1970 Rolling Stones
1971 Rolling Stones
1972 Led Zeppelin
1973 Led Zeppelin
1974 Led Zeppelin
1975 Rolling Stones
1976 Rolling Stones
1977 Rolling Stones
1978 Rolling Stones
1979 Rolling Stones
1980 Pink Floyd
1981 Rolling Stones
1982 Rolling Stones
1983 The Police
1984 The Police
1985 The Police
1986 The Police
1987 U2
1988 U2
1989 U2
1990 U2
1991 U2
1992 U2
1993 U2
1994 U2
1995 U2
1996 U2
1997 U2
1998 U2
1999 U2
2000 U2
2001 U2
2002 U2
2003 U2
2004 U2
2005 U2

Led Zeppelin was not yet popular enough in 1970 and 1971 to be the biggest band in the world, but definitely by 1972 they had the title. The Rolling Stones regained it in 1975 with the worlds first true Stadium tour since the Beatles last tour in 1966. Pink Floyd came close to the top in 1977 with their first stadium tour, but album sales of "Animals" were less than the previous two albums and about the same as the Rolling Stones latest at the time which kept the Stones at the top. The low sales of the Rolling Stones Emotional Rescue combined with the Pink Floyd's strongest selling album over a 12 month period with "The Wall" allowed Pink Floyd to rise to the top in 1980. While its true Pink Floyd only played a few shows that year, had they done a proper tour for the album it would have been more successful than their first Stadium/Arena tour in 1977.

The Rolling Stones came back strong in 1981 with Tattoo You and the following tour which allowed them to regain the title for 1981 and 1982. The Police in 1983 finally took the title from the Stones with their biggest selling album Synchronicity and their global Stadium/Arena tour for the album with the band breaking attendance and GROSS records in several different cities and the Synchronicity album selling over 11 million copies in less than a year worldwide. The Police kept the title through 1984 as well.

In 1985, its a big question if one still considers the Police to be a band with Sting's new solo release. In hindsight now, we know the band by that time was no more, but back then people still thought they were a band and promoters were offering the band massive amounts of money to tour again. So its difficult to say, but by 1987, U2 definitely took the title from the Police or any other band that may have had it at that time. Genesis obviously would be the biggest band in 1986 if one considers the Police to be officially over at that time. Dire Straits also deserves to be mentioned for 1985 and 1986 as a possible contender. Brothers In Arms had sold over 20 million copies worldwide by 1989, but their concert selling strength was not nearly as high.

U2 has been the biggest band in the world since 1987. Through Grunge and Metal of the late 80s and early 90s, through the low selling year of POP in 1997 and the Boyband years that followed, U2 has consistently had the highest average of global album sales and concert ticket sales of any band out there. It may not seem like it to many, especially during POP because one remembers how things felt that year in their individual country or city. But when one is talking about the biggest band in the world, one has to consider album sales and concert ticket sales from every region of the globe. Album sales and concert ticket sales count equally each counting for 50% of the equation that determines the biggest band in the world.

Yes, from 1987 to 2005, U2 has been the biggest band in the world. However, they haven't had much competition - even in the late 90's, when everyone was dissing them.

MsMofoGone said:

Journey toured in North America from March 26 through Sept. 1,
then began International tour dates from Sept. 7 in Germany ... moving on to West Germany on Sept. 9 - 20 ... then continued in England on Sept. 22 and finished in Tokyo, Japan on Oct. 8,11,13 and also in Osaka, Japan on Oct. 10 ... This was the "Captured Tour" in 1980 ... and the era that I was referring to ...

Capture, correct me if I'm wrong is the live album released in early 1981 of their 1980 tour for the DEPARTURE album. While it was indeed a good year for Journey, they were not the biggest band in America let alone the world that year. An arguement could be made they were the biggest band in America with the Escape album and tour in 1981/1982, but outside the USA few people new who they were with the exception of maybe Japan. The tour dates you list a above are typical of the tours Journey would do over the next few years in the early 80s. These tours focused on where most of their album sales came from which in this case was North America. Most bands are artist that are strong on the global scale will spend around 50% of their tour time outside of North America.

80 - Queen
81 - Rolling Stones
82 - Rolling Stones
83 - The Police
84 - Duran Duran/Prince & The Revolution
85 - Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band
86 - Bon Jovi
87 - U2
88 - INXS
89 - Guns 'n Roses
90 - Guns 'n Roses
91 - Nirvana
92 - U2
93 - U2
94 - Aerosmith
95 - Oasis
96 - Oasis
97 - U2
98 - U2
99 - Red Hot Chili Peppers
00 - Radiohead
01 - U2
02 - Coldplay
03 - Coldplay
04 - ???

STING2 said:
In 1985, its a big question if one still considers the Police to be a band with Sting's new solo release. In hindsight now, we know the band by that time was no more, but back then people still thought they were a band and promoters were offering the band massive amounts of money to tour again.

I have a bootleg from the Conspiracy Of Hope tour in June 1986, and while I admittedly haven't gotten around to playing it yet, it is marked as including sets by U2 and The Police. I enjoy the music of The Police but I know nothing about their history - I presume, though, that their participation in the Conspiracy Of Hope means they were still an active band and could claim the title of biggest band in the world in 1986?

It may not seem like it to many, especially during POP because one remembers how things felt that year in their individual country or city.

I think one point that needs to be made about the Popmart Tour is that although there were certain cities in America that failed to sell out stadiums (but would have sold out one or even two arenas!), over in Europe, U2 played to in excess of 150,000 people at Reggio Emilia, Italy. I believe that is a world record for a paying crowd to one band without support. I sincerely doubt that in 1997 any band other than U2 could've played three stadium gigs in both of New York and Chicago and then gone across to Europe to play to 150,000.

I really do have to wonder if any other band can equal U2 for sheer worldwide popularity. How many other bands can sell out multiple stadium dates in multiple markets as far afield as North America, South America, Europe, and Asia? And at the same time have a popular, critically acclaimed, well-selling album (rather than riding on past success, as in the Rolling Stones)?

Last edited:
Axver said:
I have a bootleg from the Conspiracy Of Hope tour in June 1986, and while I admittedly haven't gotten around to playing it yet, it is marked as including sets by U2 and The Police. I enjoy the music of The Police but I know nothing about their history - I presume, though, that their participation in the Conspiracy Of Hope means they were still an active band and could claim the title of biggest band in the world in 1986?

That was their last ever concert together...they had split up and I think they agreed to do that one last show. That was show where Sting and The Police handed their instruments to U2 at the end of their set(and beginning of U2's) as a symbolic passing of the torch to the new biggest band in the world.

STING2 said:
1964 Beatles
1965 Beatles
1966 Beatles
1967 Beatles
1968 Beatles
1969 Beatles
1970 Rolling Stones
1971 Rolling Stones
1972 Led Zeppelin
1973 Led Zeppelin
1974 Led Zeppelin
1975 Rolling Stones
1976 Rolling Stones
1977 Rolling Stones
1978 Rolling Stones
1979 Rolling Stones
1980 Pink Floyd
1981 Rolling Stones
1982 Rolling Stones
1983 The Police
1984 The Police
1985 The Police
1986 The Police
1987 U2
1988 U2
1989 U2
1990 U2
1991 U2
1992 U2
1993 U2
1994 U2
1995 U2
1996 U2
1997 U2
1998 U2
1999 U2
2000 U2
2001 U2
2002 U2
2003 U2
2004 U2
2005 U2
this list is absolutely hilarious. i'm sorry, i'm a big U2 fan, but they have not been consistently the biggest band from 1987-2005. to even suggest that no one else dominated the music scene for even one year in the past 18 years is laughable.

also, the police did NOTHING in 1985. there was no new album, no tour, nothing. how on earth could they be the biggest band when sting was off with his first solo album and tour? i will give you the beatles dominating the mid to late 60s, but this list really just looks like you picked your top five bands and just stuck them up there.

nobody reads this

80 - Queen
81 - Rolling Stones
82 - Rolling Stones
83 - The Police
84 - Michael Jackson
85 - Queen
86 - Sting
87 - U2
88 - INXS
89 - Bon Jovi
90 - Guns 'n Roses
91 - Michael Jackson
92 - U2
93 - Nirvana
94 - Rolling Stones
95 - Oasis
96 - Radiohead
97 - U2
98 - Backstreet Boys
99 - Red Hot Chilli Peppers
00 - N'Sync
01 - U2
02 - Eminem
03 - Coldplay
04 - either Maroon 5 or Franz Ferdinand
05 - U2

NO Bruce Springsteen... NO Dave Matthews... WHY?

because they're NOT big anywher but in the USA... nobody knows bruce (at least not the vast majority) and no one could take a second to even imagine there's a guy named Dave Matheews... here in Chile

Here in Chile

That's why there's Bon Jovi.. Guns n roses... The rolling stones in 94... Oasis... maybe Radiohead is pushing the envelope...

what I'm trying to say is.. if it gets here, is BIG.. is not like we're a million light years away from the rest, but still

I'll put Metallica in 91.. but MJ was bigger
The same with 50 cent in 2003 and Coldplay

anyway.. that's my list :sexywink:

Last edited:
Re: nobody reads this

pepokiss said:

NO Bruce Springsteen... NO Dave Matthews... WHY?

because they're NOT big anywher but in the USA... nobody knows bruce (at least not the vast majority) and no one could take a second to even imagine there's a guy named Dave Matheews... here in Chile

I get your point. If we get to hear about bands this side of the world it is because they crack it big everywhere (and that was esp true before the 90s). However everybody had heard about Bruce Sprinsteen here in Argentina in the 80s. He even played here in an Amnesty Tour back in 1988 (was closing act after Sting and Peter Gabriel) and I can tell you that pre MTV era 75,000 people this side of the Andes were yelling more than "Born in The USA" together with him. I agree about Dave Matthews though - most people here don't know who he is.

of course.. if Bruce came here, people would go see him... and speccially in the 80s, when he was bigger than ever...

yet still.. nothing

BTW.. Amnesty did came here in 89... but sting was the main attraction... no Bruce anywhere

Last edited:
Just to throw Australia into the ring. Bruce Springsteen was huge here whenever that Born in the USA album was released.

Dave Matthew Bands on the other hand, I can't list one song of his/theirs.

KhanadaRhodes said:

btw, i noticed you have another group :hyper: can i join? you can pick my title, i suck. i can be a whore again, i don't mind. :giggle:

umm, how do I put this discretely, the Island is for women who want to be lesbians but actually fancy men, and men who fancy men. loll If you still want to be on, youre more than welcome.

pepokiss said:
of course.. if Bruce came here, people would go see him... and speccially in the 80s, when he was bigger than ever...

yet still.. nothing

BTW.. Amnesty did came here in 89... but sting was the main attraction... no Bruce anywhere

:hmm: Did Amnesty really go to Chile? I seem to recall the tour played Mendoza symbolically because it is near Chile since they weren't allowed to actually perform in Chilean territory.

Re STING2's list I have my objections since, as someone has very well noted above, it is simply ridiculous to state that the music scene has been dominated by one single band during the past 18 years. We agree that U2 has been a top notch act for quite a few years now and almost anyone will mention U2 to be in this category from @1990 onwards. However I think the gist of the thread was to mention which act could be nominated as "Band of The Year" based on the release of an album, a successful tour, exposure, number of hit singles, etc. U2 could IMV have made that category five or six times from 1987 up to now, but no more than that. Other bands have been in the spotlight during particular years in the 1987-2004 period like Nirvana, Oasis, Aerosmith, Guns 'n Roses, etc, the recognition of which doesn't in any way negate U2's standing in the top league during the said period.

ultraviolet7 said:

It isn't surprising. IMHO the UK/Ireland have given the world the greatest bands.

I've been having a think. Its appears to me that the USAs biggest musical contributions have not been by bands but rather solo artists eg Elvis, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, Prince, Bruce Springsteen, Madonna, etc

Whereas UKI have contributed bands. (Australian music is most bands as well)

Just my ponderings.

STING2 said:

Capture, correct me if I'm wrong is the live album released in early 1981 of their 1980 tour for the DEPARTURE album. An arguement could be made they were the biggest band in America with the Escape album and tour in 1981/1982, but outside the USA few people new who they were with the exception of maybe Japan. The tour dates you list above are typical of the tours Journey would do over the next few years in the early 80s.

Yes, those dates are from the Departure Tour ... but some of the actual LIVE footage from those concerts was used for the Captured LP. That is why I mistakenly called it the Captured Tour. As for Journey's tour dates being typical over the NEXT FEW YEARS .. those 1980 tour dates had MORE International cities, THAN in 1981-1982 alone. Journey did NOT tour in any International cities other than Japan in the 1981-1982 era, so again, that is why I chose that particular year of 1980 ...

MsMofoGone said:

Of course!! Gotta defend them one way or another ... especially when others disagree about how big of a band they were in 1980!! :applaud:

Journey meant nothing over here. They may have been big in the USA but they were laughed at over here. Sorry.

Journey??? who the hell are Journey????Definately not a big band in the UK.
Where is the Quo? No Status Quo...somebody is havin' a laugh:mad:They have been the biggest band for (what seems like)50 years :ohmy:

beli said:

Journey meant nothing over here. They may have been big in the USA but they were laughed at over here. Sorry.

Well, I was NOT referring to Australia, anyway !!
Some cities in Europe and Japan is where they were known best !! (besides North America, in general ...)

Back
Top Bottom