better version of BTBS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I wanted to call this thread: does the mark chapman bit in BTBS from elevation rival the "the god I believe in isn't short of cash mister" bit from rattle and hum?

hmmm.....
I think the mark chapman rant was brilliant...maybe some of the most genius and reminiscent of "old" bono that we've seen in years.

but I forgot to say: the line from rattle and hum was legendary amongst u2 fans back then....hearing that was like watching "the godfather" for the first time.

Well, bear in mind that the line from Rattle and Hum is mostly so well known because of people making fun of it...

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I'm partial to rap from Rattle and Hum/JT Era, but I like the new musical version of the Elevation Tour. Worst BTBS rendetion: Popmart.

yeah, popmart version was totally boring.

ZooTV is the best... the live version on the B-side of one of the Stay (Faraway, So Close) single CD's has the most intricate solo (IMO).

:up:

Rattle and Hum's version remains the defining one for me. They had everything working for that concert and song.

cujo said:
ZooTV is the best... the live version on the B-side of one of the Stay (Faraway, So Close) single CD's has the most intricate solo (IMO).

That CD single is the finest CD single ever made :yes: The version of Love is Blindness is so amazing! :bow: The guitar solo kicks ass :D

The only thing I didn't like about the Joshua Tree/Rattle & Hum version was the drums during the verses. Larry is not playing a snare, but some sort of pad that sounds ridiculous in my opinion. I don't know why they did that. Maybe so the drums didn't drown Bono out in those days...hell, I don't know. I do know I didn't like it.

I love the version that is on the Stay Faraway, So Close single. That single is the best single they ever released because it's basically just a mini ep. There's a lot of songs on it.

It's so freaking awesome and intense.

Yeah, Zoo TV era BTBS is awesome.

Last edited:
There is a version of BTBS on the Outside Broadcast boot. I think this version is better sounding, you can hear larrys drumming There's one part where Edge makes that guitar squawk.

The one off the stay single is good to but I think version off of Outside Broadcast boot is even better.

I also like ZooTV era better too.
Cheers

The album version is the best. The live version are no longer raw. They sound too scripted, too manufactured, overly dramatic and faked.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Nate Dogg said:
am i the only one who actually likes the Popmart version?
(Zoo TV is best, though...)
It's alright. I hated it at first because I was expecting a hell of a lot more after the Joshua Tree and ZooTV versions, but it's kind of grown on me since I've listened to so many PopMart boots. It has a nice groove. And it looked cool if nothing else.

I have to say that the Lovetown versions were by far the most energetic. The Elevation version was an interesting take on it (and was certainly chilling the first time I saw it), but I tend to agree with jick that it's a bit lifeless now. Not just in the vocals, but the drum beat doesn't hit as hard and the guitar doesn't scream quite the same way it used to. Go figure.

But my favorite is the ZooTV version. I love the way it just rips "The First Time" (or "Bad" or whatever else preceded it) apart and then doesn't lose momentum until the very last line. The new guitar solo blew me away the first dozen times I heard it because it just comes out of nowhere. The song was rearranged a bit, and it's a lot more intense and direct as a result. The "fuck you, Europe" bit at Wembley was especially intense; one, because it was completely unexpected, two, because it closely followed a rather grim Sarajevo link-up.

The song peaked around this point. It was neither relevant nor musically interesting during the PopMart, and the band seemed to realize this. They tried to revitalize it by linking it to gun control with Elevation with arguable success.

typhoon said:

It's alright. I hated it at first because I was expecting a hell of a
The song peaked around this point. It was neither relevant nor musically interesting during the PopMart, and the band seemed to realize this. They tried to revitalize it by linking it to gun control with Elevation with arguable success.

Arguable success? Wow, you sure love to put it mildly. The Elevation version was plain and simple awful. Bullet the Blue Sky was the official buy-a-hotdog or take-a-pee song during the tour. No one payed attention to it.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

jick said:
Bullet the Blue Sky was the official buy-a-hotdog or take-a-pee song during the tour. No one payed attention to it.

You are more insane than I.

typhoon said:
Well, bear in mind that the line from Rattle and Hum is mostly so well known because of people making fun of it...

:lol: that's what I was thinking. I actually cringe everytime I hear it.

I love the Elevation BTBS rap. I've shown it to a lot of people who are casual fans and don't know this side of Bono. But the ZooTV version was just way more powerful in every way, imo.

ok, so zootv is the best version.
cool.

I liked the Chapman rap. First time I heard it, I got goose bumps!
Heavy stuff.
Bono supposedly really pissed off Yoko by naming "he who should not be named." :eyebrow:

jick said:
Arguable success? Wow, you sure love to put it mildly. The Elevation version was plain and simple awful. Bullet the Blue Sky was the official buy-a-hotdog or take-a-pee song during the tour. No one payed attention to it.
joyfulgirl said:
I love the Elevation BTBS rap. I've shown it to a lot of people who are casual fans and don't know this side of Bono.
This is the "arguable" part.

Back
Top Bottom