Best versions of live U2 songs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AussieU2fanman

Refugee
Hey guys! I would really like to know what the best recordings of live U2 songs are. Any songs are welcome. Please give the date so we can download them off programs like DC++
Like with One tree Hill its that version on 26\12\89 at Point Depo where Edge does that AWSOME solo. So what are the best versions guys? Cheers!

Bad from the last Elevation show in Miami (12-2-2001) was great, with the first verse and chorus of Who's Gonna Ride at the end. I even think that during Elevation, they did the Ruby Tuesday thing during Bad where Larry Edge and Adam kick it up again at the end!

The best version of Streets has to be from X-Mas at the Point Depot, 12-26-1989, the same show as mentioned above.

i also like '40' from the last Popmart show. i thought it was a great way to end a great tour.

Spanish Eyes from Edge's birthday in Barcelona was great (August 8, 2001).

I could go on forever, but i'll end with this: Miss Sarajevo, September 23 1997 :wink: :drool:

Did I just see you recommend Bad from an Elevation concert, discoLP? Dear me. Better suggestion: any performance from the eighties. I'm partial to 29 April and 8 November 1987 myself (Chicago and Denver respectively).

Here's some quality songs;
- 11 O'clock Tick Tock: 4 November 1981, Berlin and 5 June 1983, Denver
- Twilight: 6 May 1983, Boston
- She's A Mystery To Me: 30 December 1989, Dublin
- Hawkmoon 269: 18 November 1989, Sydney OR 18 December 1989, Amsterdam
- God Part II: 26 December 1989, Dublin OR 18 December 1989, Amsterdam (latter is scary because he loses his voice in the middle)
- Please, One, Discotheque, and Mofo: 23 September 1997, Sarajevo
- Bullet The Blue Sky: 27 June 1987, Dublin; 5 March 1992, Atlanta; 11 June 1992, Stockholm; 12 August 1993, London
- Desire: 20 October 1989, Sydney
- Exit: 29 April 1987, Chicago

Should do you for now.

11 O'Clock Tick Tock - New York, March 17th 1982. Incredible 6 minute version.
The Electric Co. - East Rutherford, May 15th 1987. Snippets of Break on Through and Light My Fire - they fit perfectly.
Bad - East Rutherford, June 18th 1985 - a 16-minute version!
Streets - the Point Depot show or Sao Paulo January 31st 1998.
I Still Haven't Found - beautiful acoustic rendition with new lyrics: Rotterdam May 11th 1993.
With or Without You - 8-minute version performed in Dublin June 28th 1987. Beautiful improvised ending, with Shine Like Stars verse and more added lyrics, Bono's beautiful acoustic guitar...
Bullet the Blue Sky - New York, August 29th 1992. Rock U2 at they're best.
Running To Stand Still - Rotterdam January 6th 1990. Extended version with added lyrics and intense drumming.
Exit - Austin August 22th 1987. 6-minute version, with snippets from Riders on the Storm, Gloria and Silver and Gold!
All I Want Is You - Dublin December 30th 1989. Incredible. Better than X-Mas at the Point Depot.

Axver said:
Did I just see you recommend Bad from an Elevation concert, discoLP? Dear me.

i actually prefer the Elevation versions of Bad to the 80's versions. I thought the "Who's Gonna Ride" part was genious, and Bono's voice sounded great (a different kind of great than the 80's that is). I loved the whole lineup almost of snippets from Elevation, not just Ruby Tuesday and Sympathy for the Devil.

oh yeah, then there's Streets :wink: :drool:

I am still trying to discover that one out for myself. I will get back to you on that one when they start touring.

who's gonna ride your wild horses lakeland, fl 2.29.92 - great guitar solo
with or without you 8.23.92 foxboro ma.
last nigh on earth 9.23.97 sarajevo

discothequeLP said:
i actually prefer the Elevation versions of Bad to the 80's versions. I thought the "Who's Gonna Ride" part was genious, and Bono's voice sounded great (a different kind of great than the 80's that is). I loved the whole lineup almost of snippets from Elevation, not just Ruby Tuesday and Sympathy for the Devil.

Elevation Bad was good, but nothing to write home about. Bono's voice was totally flat and compared to eighties performances, it's shockingly inferior. Back in the eighties - especially JT - Bono's voice was at such a peak and it worked so well on the "Let it go, uh-huh, and go fade away" parts. That pretty much died on Elevation. And I love the enthusiasm from UF. And the snippets! What about the Live Aid version? Talk about snippet-mad.

Some more live versions for the list;

Surrender and Two Hearts Beat As One - 7 November 1984, Glasgow
Pride - 31 August 1984, Wellington; 8 March 1987, Belfast; 30 December 1989, Dublin
Running To Stand Still - 6? January 1990, Rotterdam (it's the one with the new verse and it's one of the 1990 Rotterdam gigs)

During the elevation tour, Bono performed mostly a new remixed version of streets called Where the Sssshhhtreets have no name.

A few days ago I burnt a CD with live performances of my alltime fave U2 song only. That song is Bad. I chose 8 performances, 4 tracks from their 80?s era, plus 4 others from their 90s up to 2001, including all tours from that period, and a combination of good quality, in terms of sound, and importance, in terms of U2?s history. So, I came up with this tracklist:

1. UF Tour Bologna - 06.02.1985 (definitely the best I have ever heard)
2. Live Aid London - 13.07.1985
3. Rattle & Hum, the movie
4. Lovetown Tour Dublin Point Depot - 31.12.1989
5. Zooropa London Wembley Nights 2 - 12.08.1993
6. Zooropa Dublin RDS Stadium - 28.08.1993
7. Popmart Santiago - 11.02.1998
8. Elevation South Bend Notre Dame - 10.10.2001

The chronological order of the tracks is interesting to observe the changes in the way they performed the song, both arrangement and Bono?s interpretation. Nevertheless, I can say that the spark, the passion has always been there. You may think it?s odd to listen to the same song 8 times in a row, but I?ll tell you, it sounds great.

Tchau
MT

follower said:
In the link below you can find an article written by Matt McAgee, from @U2, about what he calls U2's Top Ten Classic Live Songs. There are some pretty good recommendations:

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=2427

Tchau
MT

Honestly, I'm not all too impressed with that list. Mysterious Ways? Sure, it's awesome live, but to edge out such live classics as One Tree Hill, 11 O'clock Tick Tock, and I Will Follow? Missing out such rocking live songs as Hawkmoon 269 and God Part II? Furthermore, the Streets recommendations were awful. Best of Streets;

- 26 December 1989, Dublin
- 30 December 1989, Dublin
- 18 December 1989, Amsterdam

Streets ruled on the Lovetown tour. Plus, I can't say I leapt for joy at the 40 recommendation either. Ignoring the stunningly beautiful 25 January 1985 and 5 February 1985 performances should be a crime.

I think that's a pretty good list, he got all U2's best live songs on that. I'd put Until the end of the world and Angel of Harlem instead of Please and 40, though.

I won't talk about reccomendations because that can be debatable plus I'm not that knowledgeable.

U2girl said:
I think that's a pretty good list, he got all U2's best live songs on that. I'd put Until the end of the world and Angel of Harlem instead of Please and 40, though.

I think Please absolutely has to stay, because it was so incredible on Popmart (especially in Sarajevo), and 40 is the greatest concert closer ever performed. UTEOTW definitely should be there, though - it's an incredible live track, though I actually don't have a favourite performance. Angel Of Harlem? Hmm ... not one I would have thought of including, personally.

Another recommendation;

The Unforgettable Fire - 18 December 1989, Amsterdam. Bono loses his voice during God Part II, the next song. This is quite an amazing concert.

Back
Top Bottom