Best version(s) 'With or Without You'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
I like listening to this song, I've never liked the Popmart versions that much...

But here's how I rank them:

1. Zoo TV 1992 @ Washington DC -- with that magical solo and "let's go to vegas, let's get married" intro

2. U2-3D the send off before the audience sings, is enough to almost drive you to tears

3. Boston 2001, sure Bono messes up on the lyrics -- but when he sings "Oh oh oh" and then lets the audience sing -- it's magical

4. Milan 2005, the audience tries to sing the "Ohs" but also sings "With or Without You"

1) Zoo TV Washington
2) Zoo TV Basel
3) Any Lovetown or JT performance
4) The second Vertigo Saitama show.
5) Elevation Slane.

No, I don't like any versions without Shine like Stars.

Rock's hottest Ticket boot (Chicago?? 87) has to be up there, the falsetto on the 'nothing left to lose' is pure gold.

DC ZooTV is great as well, as is Rattle & Hum movie.

Not a fan of the shine like stars bit, a bit of a cliche in a song that seems too original for cliches, if you know what Imean? Not fully coherent this morning!

1) Zoo TV Washington
2) Zoo TV Basel
3) Any Lovetown or JT performance
4) The second Vertigo Saitama show.
5) Elevation Slane.

No, I don't like any versions without Shine like Stars.

Hey digitize...."the second Vertigo Saitama show" is 12-4-2006, right? That version does not feature the "Shine like stars..." verse. The Saitama, Japan show from 11-30-2006 however does have the "Shine like stars..." verse, but that would be the first Saitama show, not the second.

I love the washington show version...but the only version I've heard is the one on youtube....I can't seem to find it on U2start.com....any links you know of perhaps? Thanks :)

Top 5 versions of WOWY:

1) Dublin 12-26-89
2) R & H version
3) Washington 8-16-1992
4) Paris DVD version
5) 5th leg Vertigo Tour performance....probably Saitama, Japan 12-4-2006

Edit: actually the U2-3D version was kickass too...not sure if it's in the top 5, but verry close

I'm not that big a fan of the Shine Like Stars verse, I quite prefer what they did on this tour, especially Fifth leg with the Love Will/Never Tear Us Apart snippets. Particularly the LWTUA snippet, I love that.

The best version of WOWY I've heard though belongs to the one on the Paris DVD. 10 minutes of pure magicianry. (is that a word?)

I've always loved the brief high pitched sequencer at the beginning of the zoo tv/zooropa versions.

best edge on the indoor zoo tv show versions.

most curious dedication...to all of the 14 year olds at the notre dame 10/01 show!

edge performed the DC zoo tv type-solo throughout most of the previous spring's european dates, with minor show-to-show variations. those also feature some great (and varied) snippets from bono following shine like stars. highly recommended if you enjoy the DC zoo version.

For fans of the "shine like stars" bit, there's a great version from the end of the 1st leg of the Elevation Tour - I believe its a NJ show - Bono repeats the bit twice, also shouts out to Gavin and Guggi, who were in the audience

And the Joshua Tree versions were great - he did the "Love Will Tear Us Apart" verse many times.

For fans of the "shine like stars" bit, there's a great version from the end of the 1st leg of the Elevation Tour - I believe its a NJ show - Bono repeats the bit twice, also shouts out to Gavin and Guggi, who were in the audience

This is my all-time favorite version. I could listen this one over and over again, its 6/22/01.

U2 are on some serious drugs that night....if you watch the youtube clip of New Year's day...it's absolutely hilarious...
Edge and Adam are hilarious. I think Larry might be the only one who isn't. But despite the mistakes during New Year's Day, they still put on an amazing show. The Fly, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Mysterious Ways, Sunday Bloody Sunday, With Or Without You and of course Ultraviolet are all superb.

Edge and Adam are hilarious. I think Larry might be the only one who isn't. But despite the mistakes during New Year's Day, they still put on an amazing show. The Fly, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Mysterious Ways, Sunday Bloody Sunday, With Or Without You and of course Ultraviolet are all superb.

Yeah I agree...that is the greatest version of Ultraviolet ever...

I think the best live version I've seen is the one from the Joshua Tree era because Bono actually sings on beat, instead of lazily singing the chorus. The concert coda is rather obvious and formulaic; it's more immediate, so it's more fun in a way, but it upsets the song's subtlety and originality.

The best of all is easily the album version, though. Gorgeous.

Practically every version pre-1993. For some that are rarely mentioned, there´s an amazing 8-minute version from Croke Park 1987 (first night), where even Bono makes up some interesting guitar parts on his acoustic.

ZooTV - there is an amazing extended version in East Rutherford, March 18th 1992. That whole concert is fantastic, apart from the sound quality of the bootleg.

Everything from Popmart further on is mediocre at best. Without the extended solo and the Shine Like Stars verse (which may look cheesy on paper, but it really works live) it ain´t that great. Mostly.

The Washington 92 Show is fantastic and perhaps my favourite ZOO TV concert. Except for the mistakes in NYD and Pride I think the band were on top form, they were obviously a well-oiled machine by this point, playing with real spontaneity.

I think the show's a great mixture of fun, intensity and emotion. Bono's full of energy and in superb voice, he deinitely wants to give each and every song his all. Plus that version of Bad must be one of the most searing of the whole tour.

ZooTV - there is an amazing extended version in East Rutherford, March 18th 1992. That whole concert is fantastic, apart from the sound quality of the bootleg.
Yeah that's definitely a great version...the ending is fantastic when Bono announces a return during the summer to play Giants Stadium New Yersey:drool:

Back
Top Bottom