Best version of 11 o'clock tick tock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkeeK

The Original, Rock n' Roll Doggie, VIP PASS
Whaddayall think?

I'm rather partial to the Irving Plaza version meself.

I'm concerned with quality as much as performance here because I'm making a compilation CD.

my favorite version is the one from irving plaza too. i can listen to that one for hours and never get tired of it:yes:

Mine is definitely from the Live at Red Rocks bootleg, not sure what it's called but it is not the one that is on the CD U2 Under A Blood Red Sky. This one is the same as the performance that is on the Under A Blood Red Sky video if that makes any sense. You can always tell the performance because Bono adds lines from Drowning Man, "Hold On, Hold On Tightly, Hold On!" towards the end quarter of the song and it just sends chills to hear him sing those words and with the energy the band had at that time.

U2LA said:
Bono adds lines from Drowning Man, "Hold On, Hold On Tightly, Hold On!" towards the end quarter of the song and it just sends chills to hear him sing those words and with the energy the band had at that time.

Awesome! I know exactly which you are talking about. That's also a neat way of sneaking on another song I really like :p

I like Chicago, 5/15/01 where they goof up in the beginning and Bono starts laughing and says "Hold on a second....I don't think my heart can take that twice!"

I hope the best version is yet to be played!!

I've just been listening to about 10 different performances, it's so funny listening to all the oldversions from 81 to 83 and then listening to the Irving Plaza version. It's so damn slow compared to the way they used to play it!!
Best versions are:
1982 New York - The Ritz Possibly best performance(very fast) Sound Quality very good!
1983 May 06 Red Rocks Great performance. Great Quality Recording.
1983 June 05 Boston Very Good Performance, but this sounds even better than Red Rocks!! The Bass is fantastic!!
1989 30 December - The Eleventh Hour. Great Performance, Sounds Very Good!!! Make sure you download the good quality version of this show, there is a recording going around that goes by the same name but is only a very average Soundboard.
This show is extra special cos the band play fantastic versions of One Tree Hill, All I Want Is You, Out Of Control, She's A Mystery to Me, and With Or Without You strait after 11 o'clock.
2001 3rd Chicago Show - The Soundboard recording is good, but try the Audience recording! It's fantastic listening to the Crowd going totally bonkers when they play it, and then again when it turns into Out Of Control!!!

Hmmm...I don't know. I just love the song! It was really kind of cool though because for the longest time I was jus listening to the original version and then I went back and listened to Red Rocks and it was like, "Whoa! They sped it up a lot!"

:happy: I really like the original version, actually!

SkeeK said:
Whaddayall think?

I'm rather partial to the Irving Plaza version meself.

I'm concerned with quality as much as performance here because I'm making a compilation CD.

I made a 11 o'clock tick tock only CDR a few years ago.

The best versions were the early years up to Red Rocks. Red Rocks must be the last full version. After that it became shorter like on the UABRS CD and slower. The Irving Plaza version is cool because it was the best of the Elevation versions and was so unexpected but it severly lacks the energy 11:00 had like on the Boy, October and War tours. If you can get it go for the 05-29-81 Boston version, the 2nd performance on that show. Adam gets so excited he does some bass soloing.

I just realized...I've never heard the original album version of Tick Tock!!! Must...download...:drool:

Anyways, I realize that U2 speeds their songs up vastly when they play them live...at least the old songs. I mean, listen to An Cat Dubh (the original) then listen to a live version (Red Rocks is the one I usually listen to). Crazy change...for the better though :) :up:

DaveC said:
I just realized...I've never heard the original album version of Tick Tock!!! Must...download...:drool:

Anyways, I realize that U2 speeds their songs up vastly when they play them live...at least the old songs. I mean, listen to An Cat Dubh (the original) then listen to a live version (Red Rocks is the one I usually listen to). Crazy change...for the better though :) :up:

But in the 90's the opposite starts to happen, older songs get played slower. If you have Irving Plaza in some form and the UABRS video compare both versions of 11:00. Or other songs for that matter. Sunday bloody sunday was very slow on Elevation. New year's day in the 90's and Elevation is lethargic compared to the UF and JT tours where Larry is really pounding his bassdrum into oblivion.

Back
Top Bottom