Best U2 Collaboration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DevilsShoes

War Child
Over the years U2 have had many collaborations both on stage and in the studio , to varying degrees of success, but which do you think was the best.

Here's a few I can think of off the top of my head.

BB King: When Loves Comes To Town
Bob Dylan: Love Rescue Me
Bruce Springsteen: Joshua Tree tour, Stand By Me I think
Chrissie Hynde: Joshua Tree Tour
Johnny Cash Wanderer
Axl Rose: Zoo TV Knocking on Heavens Door which can be seen here for those of you have never seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSUVrOwB7yo
Lou Reed Satelite Of Love he appeared live on stage with the band a few times during 92
Abba Benny and Bjorn: Dancing Queen
Wyclef Jean :New Day :yuck:
GreenDay: Saints Are Coming
Pavarotti: Miss Sarajevo

And a whole heap more that I've forgot to mention no doubt. What about Steve Wickenham on the violin in Drowning Man and Jo Shankar in Bad in 93, these are collaborations too and I think might be my favourites, along with The Wanderer, Cash's voice works perfectly against the synthy, pop background.
Anyway what do you think?

I like Tower of Songs with Leonard Cohen and the Conspiracy of Hope version of Invisible Sun with Sting.
Other songs that come to mind is What's going on with Gwen Stefani on the Elevation Tour, Instant Karma with Patti Smith and People Get Ready with Bruce Springsteen on the Vertigo Tour, and Rocking in the free World with Pearl Jam (Toronto, Honolulu and the MPH Concert in Melbourne).
I'm sure there's much more, and I can think of a good number of Bono only collaborations with other artists/bands.

All Along The Watchtower with Pete Wylie of Wah! Heat on 1 February 1981. (It really happened!)

/sarcasm

In the studio, perhaps The Wanderer, When Love Comes To Town, or I'm Not Your Baby. Live, well, I'm not a fan of The Arcade Fire, but that performance U2 did with them of Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart fucking slayed.

I always liked the association with Lou Reed. U2 ended up sharing a lot of history with him; Berlin, Satellite of Love, et al.

The Zoo TV version of Satellite of Love is what introduced me to Lou Reed. I also love The Wanderer and Miss Sarajevo. Don't forget the B-side version of Slow Dancing featuring Willie Nelson.

I think Springsteen's surprise performance of People Get Ready was probably my best moment from any concert I've ever attended. The crowd had been so high-energy (a complete opposite of the mood in the seated section where I'd been the night before), but when Bruce came out, everyone went wild. It was the highlight of a near-perfect show. It probably would've been perfect to me, but they were supposed to close with Bad and they didn't :mad:

Bono and Hutchence
Bono and Clannad
and Passengers with Pavarotti are my faves.

From recordings: Miss Sarajevo and Love Rescue Me
Live: When Love Comes to town and again Miss Sarajevo from the War Child Concert
Bono only collaborations: When the stars go blue (both performances) and Summer Wine with The Corrs, the Sinatra and Bennett duetts (I love some Bono crooning), the Hutchence duet (so dark and sad and beautiful) and also the recorded and live performance of Don't give up with Alicia Keys, and Kids live from Sydney with Kylie.
Oh, and the infamous One with Mary J. Blige, live versions weren't great, the recording was okay.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Who collaborated with them on that song?

Its the gospel choir who chant 'Meet All Your Love In The Heartland' over and over right at the end, building the whole thing to that massive climax. I think they were called the New Voices Of Freedom. Anyway I'm with you there gman, great ending to a great track. :up:

DevilsShoes said:

Its the gospel choir who chant 'Meet All Your Love In The Heartland' over and over right at the end, building the whole thing to that massive climax. I think they were called the New Voices Of Freedom. Anyway I'm with you there gman, great ending to a great track. :up:

Ohhh, okay, forgot about them. I love their work on the Rattle and Hum album version of I Still Haven't Found...

I actually know a member of the New Voices of Freedom, or, knew one back then. He's in R&H. He's got long hair and a hawkish nose, and he pops up towards the end of the scene with the choir, if memory serves.

Isn't Bob Dylan credited for the keyboards on Hawkmoon ?

Miss Sarajevo and Tower of song for me.

Bono only, it has to be Under my skin.

U2girl said:

Miss Sarajevo and Tower of song for me.

Bono only, it has to be Under my skin.

You might be right about that U2girl, but I'm not 100% sure, I guess its more than possible considering this was such a collaborative album, I mean former John Lennon producer Jimmy Iovine oversaw the whole thing but many tracks feature additional artists.
Hawkmoon: New Voices
Still Haven't Found: New Voices
Watchtower Dylan
Angel Of Harlem Brass Band
Love Rescue Me Bob Dylan
Love Comes To Town: BB King
All I Want Is You: The orchestral finale.

U2girl said:

Yup, Bob Dylan plays hammond organ on the track, ya know....the groovy bit at the beginning among other bits.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom