best U2 break up song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just by song name, prolly "Exit", depends of course if i brake up with her cause i'm fed up with her, or if she breaks up and i miss her very much, then it just might be one, cause i love that song

If you shout... said:

THANK YOU! I'm glad somebody else is feeling it--it really is perfect, although most of the other songs posted are worth merit of their own. Particularly "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses?"

As I said and as you seconded, though, "Smile" says nearly everything. It's in the song's minimalism and restraint that it finds such power. Magnificent and eloquent without preaching. This general approach to songwriting is what's missing from most of U2's current songwriting (I think) and what makes many of the classics what they are.

yes! i totally agree about the restrained, non-preachy lyrics. even the line "I don't want to see you smile" shows it. not overly dramatic, or profound, or cheesy, but a simple, heart-felt feeling/expression. great song, Smile.

Irvine511 said:

love the song, but waaaaay too Ross and Rachel.

i'd vote for So Cruel.

also, maybe Gone?

I like this comment as it is very ross and rachel from freinds.

thefly418 said:
WOWY has to be it.....those lyrics definatelyt show love
Actually the lyrics sound more like a couple who's relationship is void of love. It sounds as if they are only together for financial reasons. They want to break up but can't because they live together. They obviously both need a place to live and they depend on each other for rent. It's like they can't live with each other because they drive each other nuts but they can't live without each other because they simply can't afford it. Thus the lyric I can't live with or without you.

Bono claims "One" is about breaking up and is surprised people play it at weddings.

The latest Blender magazine issue did a 500 greatest songs from 1980 till now. One was number 4.

I can't believe no one has said "Kite"...especially since it's a forum ATYCLB fave.

Bono from the Elevation Boston DVD:

"This song is about letting go of someone you don't want to let go of...could be a lover, could be a father, could be a brother, could be a friend...I don't know. This is Kite."

And then lyrically...

In summer I can taste the salt in the sea
There's a kite blowing out of control on a breeze
I wonder what's gonna happen to you
You wonder what has happened to me

Awesome.

Hallucination said:

Actually the lyrics sound more like a couple who's relationship is void of love. It sounds as if they are only together for financial reasons. They want to break up but can't because they live together. They obviously both need a place to live and they depend on each other for rent. It's like they can't live with each other because they drive each other nuts but they can't live without each other because they simply can't afford it. Thus the lyric I can't live with or without you.

Obviously my attempt at humore missed the target big time:laugh: Oh well. I don't really think WOWOY is about paying the rent.:wink:

So Cruel for me as well. The Unforgettable Fire too.

And...if I want to bend over and wait for the flames, I'll say portions of Elvis Presley and America:

commence :sad: :sad: :sad:

And you feel
Like you pretend you can
You say go, you live
Go live outside of me
Don't you leave
Don't leave out part of me
Then can feel
Like I feel before
Like I hurt now
And I see the floor
If you pick me up
Bits and pieces on this floor

DIRTY DAY ANYONE?

If you need someone to blame,
Throw a rock in the air,
You'll hit someone guilty...

beautiful day

justkidding. :wink:

I'd say either Mercy or With or Without You.
with or without you did it for me a few years back :sad:

turns out 'I can live without him' :D

What about 'North and South of the river'

It seems to me this song is about about trying to bridge a divide in a relationship,

'I wanna see, and I wanna hear
To understand your fears
But we're north and south of the river'

and

'Can we stop playing this old tattoo
Darling I don't have the answer
I wanna meet you where you are
I don't need ya to surrender.'

'Cause there's no feeling that's so alone
As when the one you're hurting is your own.'

thrillme said:
Bono claims "One" is about breaking up and is surprised people play it at weddings.

The latest Blender magazine issue did a 500 greatest songs from 1980 till now. One was number 4.

I've always thought of One in that way.

"we hurt each other then we do it again" "I can't be holding on to what you got when all you got is hurt"

So cruel definitely as well.

Really I think Achtung Baby is the #1 bad relationship/ break up album

Back
Top Bottom