Best U2 Album!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Best U2 album ever?

• Boy

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • October

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • War

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • The Unforgettable Fire

Votes: 13 6.7%
  • The Joshua Tree

Votes: 46 23.6%
  • Rattle And Hum

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Achtung Baby

Votes: 80 41.0%
  • Zooropa

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • Passengers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pop

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • All That You Can't Leave Behind

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

Votes: 16 8.2%

• Total voters
vaz02 said:

Just cos 80,000 sing ti doesnt mean they agree , i sung it but i dont agree.

good write up though.

I agree too, I believe Zoo Station to be one of the greatest show openers, and I'm not saying this because ZS is on Achtung Baby, Im saying it because of how the stage was set up for that song (like when he levatated in front of the massive screen)

tpsglick2424 said:

I agree too, I believe Zoo Station to be one of the greatest show openers, and I'm not saying this because ZS is on Achtung Baby, Im saying it because of how the stage was set up for that song (like when he levatated in front of the massive screen)
Again, I did NOT say in my post that 80,000 people were agreeing it was the greatest live song of all time. I was simply remarking (once again) that it's very difficult to get 80,000 people to agree on anything, and it's a testement to 'Where the Streets Have No Name' that it manages to accomplish this very feat....every night.

I guess we can end the poll, as nobody has voted the last 5 or 6 days.

So the results are:

1. ACHTUNG BABY
2. The Joshua Tree
3. Pop/HTDAAB
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. Zooropa/ATYCLB
8. October/War
9. Rattle and Hum
10. Boy
11. Passengers

No real surprises, but with all the HTDAAB-bashing on this forum the album scored very well.

BANZAI said:
I guess we can end the poll, as nobody has voted the last 5 or 6 days.

So the results are:

1. ACHTUNG BABY
2. The Joshua Tree
3. Pop/HTDAAB
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. Zooropa/ATYCLB
8. October/War
9. Rattle and Hum
10. Boy
11. Passengers

No real surprises, but with all the HTDAAB-bashing on this forum the album scored very well.

Yeah, again, these results prove that things are not as many here want things to be... thankfully...
To me, that's why seeing HTDAAB at #3 and October not at the end of the "chart" explains it...

My personal rankings:

1. Achtung Baby (Best. Album. Ever.)
2. The Joshua Tree (where the term "typical sounding U2" originates despite the fact that each era has such a different sound
3. The Bomb - Personally I've never understood the hate for this, I agree with the fact that it doesn't flow like JT and AB but individual songs are great enough to make up for it, if they had released it with Mercy instead of AMAAW, it'd be even better.
4. War - The raw U2, love the sounds, the lyrics, the themes, very different time for them though
5. Boy - Stunning debut as someone said earlier, the clarity and purpose in their lyrics wasn't quite masterwork but they were getting there...Stories for Boys :drool:
6. Pop - Love many of the songs, but sometimes the weird production is too much.
7. ATYCLB - The first half of this album is amazing, the rest is decent but not enough to put it that high up. Peace on Earth and Kite though are great under-rated songs.
8. The Unforgettable Fire - MLK, Pride, and Bad are 3 of the best songs ever, but the album is short and without flow or much of a theme
9. Zooropa - A bit too bizarre for its own good but Stay is so amazing, its worth listening to the whole thing just for that, I am a big fan of the middle of the album though Numb - Daddy's gonna Pay
10. October - Great songs, love it, just nothing to lift it up to the top tier.

I don't really count R&H as a studio album, I like a lot fo what's there but it's new material amalgamated into a soundtrack.

Passengers is an entertaining side project, but doesn't bear the name U2 for a reason haha.

It's hard to do rankings, and they changed so...

1. JT by a smaller margin than ever before to
2. AB
3. UF
4. War

are the top tier,

the second tier

5. ATYCLB
6. Bomb
7. Zooropa

the third tier

8. Pop
9. Rattle and Hum
10. Boy
11. October

Well, I posted it because, really, how many times are we going to see the unoriginal poll of " what's your favorite U2 album?" Seriously now. That's like U2 message board 101. So, therefore, I deemed it lame. But, I'll play your little game. LOL!
Achtung Baby is not only my favorite U2 album of all time, it's my favorite album of all time.
I can't believe it's almost 15 years old. Damn, time sure flies.

It just kills me to see Boy so low. Great album and written by TEENGAGERS for god´s sake!!

Having said that, I have to go with JT by a millionth of a percentage point over AB. Just asking too much.

I think they have nothing in the C category. October is close, but I love this one too.

Bottom line. Other than the Beatles and maybe Pink Floyd, they have the greatest catalog in music history.

Boy is low cause most think its good but not best.

This doesn't represent rankings, but number ones, remember that.

For me my all time favorite U2 album is 'The Unforgettable Fire'. There is so much imagery that comes alive in the songs. Everytime I hear the album its fresh to me. I don't know, it's like even though I've never been to Ireland. I can almost see the landscapes U2 saw looking out the windows of Slane Castle when they were recording the album in the castle ballroom. Great album to listen to at sunset in the fall.

I probably sound really weird. But that's what it does for me. Songs like: "A Sort Of Homecoming", "The Unforgettable Fire", "Promenade", "4th of July", "Bad, "Indian Summer Sky". Really paints a portrait of a Fall sunset in my mind for some odd reason.

i wonder what would happen if the band were to find out the the fans think of POP and HTDAAB as tied for their third best record.

maybe they would stop bashing POP, get over the so called "failure" and start playing showstoppers like Discotheque, Gone, Last Night On Earth and Please in concert once again.

and... of course...

MOOOOOOOFOOOOOOOOO

Last edited:
A part of me wants to say "Achtung, Baby!" for it's sound and songs, but the last 3 songs of Achtung, I could really care less for.

For me, the best album has to be The Joshua Tree...

It's a mystic album, full of emotion, fear, hope, tragedy and love. From the atmopsheric beginning, that sense of warming and a dream like organ of Where The Streets Have No Name, to the tribal chimes of I Still Haven't Found... the album doesn't disappoint.

Songs like Running To Stand Still, Red Hill Mining Town, One Tree Hill, Mothers of The Disappeared are spooky, yet beautiful and depressing.

The Joshua Tree is a mood, and a ride of emotions.

Clawgrabber said:
i wonder what would happen if the band were to find out the the fans think of POP and HTDAAB as tied for their third best record.

maybe they would stop bashing POP, get over the so called "failure" and start playing showstoppers like Discotheque, Gone, Last Night On Earth and Please in concert once again.

and... of course...

MOOOOOOOFOOOOOOOOO
Indeed U2 might not be 100% happy with that album but there are so many fans that want to hear POP songs and love the album.

Back
Top Bottom