Best surprise on Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the hook of Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own is off the hook! Edge has never sounded better

Bono's primal scream in the middle of ABOY. :shocked: :up:

I was also pleasantly surprised by Bono's vocals overall. (Edge was fantastic, but we all knew ahead of time this was going to be a big album for him, so it wasn't much of a surprise.) I was a little worried that the "FEEEEEL" in Vertigo was a fluke, but it wasn't. He was in great form for the most part, and even it there were a few strained notes, I don't think it hurts - it makes him sound more human and vulnerable.

One Step Closer was definately the most pleasant surprise on the album for me. I kept reading people's comments about how the song really wasn't doing it for them, but I gotta say that I think the song is very touching.

After the ipod version of OOTS, I just hoped that the album version could be in the same ballpark. Homerun. To me, the perfect song.:drool:

I love CFYT, absolutely one of the best songs I've heard in a long time....granted I've only heard about 1:30 of it, but I love the guitar, and drums too. Plus Bono sounds like 1987 Bono to me...at least from what I've heard.

namkcuR said:
The best surprise on this album was Edge taking the lead mic for the first time since 'Numb', even if it was only for twenty seconds.

I've totally missed this somehow. What track does Edge sing the lead on temporarily?

Roland of Gilead said:
I also want to say that A Man and a Woman is a great suprise. It is such a cheesey song title.

I was also worried when I heard the title...they should have called it "The Mysterious Distance" or something...I dont know. It's my biggest surprise, all the tracks are strong but this is amazing. :wink:

ok, i just noticed this on COBL (since its the only song i downloaded and am allowing myself to listen). I think on this song, Bono sounds very much like JT era Bono. Specifically, when he sings, in the second verse, "THE LESS you find out as you go." When he says "the less" in that part, that is joshua tree Bono! Go back, give it another listen and pay attention to that part. Anyone agree???

Gotta go with Man and a Woman.

I agree with you God part iii, I thought Love and peace or else would be a slow one, but I love it! Edge is too amazing on this record. Adam too! I've never heard Edge play like this!

:edge: <--------------:hyper:

Like a lot of others are saying, Crumbs is the biggest surprise IMO. Judging by the reviews, I was ready for a so-so tune, but it's incredible, if you ask me.

Something about it reminds me of the Motels. I guess that's a pretty big indicator that I grew up in the 80s. It's great.

Biggest surprise: CFYT, and All Because of You (didn't like it too much at TOTP...)

Biggest letdown: hmmm... A Man and A Woman (not my style...), and at first One Step Closer but I'm coming around.

Having a bit of trouble getting comfortable with SYCMIOYO...
LAPOE is incredible...

Actually, from 1 to 6, it's pure solid U2.:yes:

Biggest surprise for me? U2 bacame the first band in the history of rock and roll to release a "must have" album after the age of 40, and after 25 years in the biz. I love the stones, but their last masterpiece was Some Girls in 1976.

Last edited:
Yaweh.

What a closer. It is SO uplifting. It is so broad and wide. It evokes the wide sound of The Joshua Tree and seems to shout from the mountain tops. This is a HUGE song...it leaves you smiling.

A Man & A Woman doesn't cut it for me. It is the only dud on this amazing album. God knows I've tried to like it, listening to it over and over....but it doesn't do anything for me.

Last edited:
The best surprise for me was hearing the high and low Bono on ABOY. That just took that song another notch. Of course, it's done in Crumbs too, which I agree with all in that it's a surprise. Currently, my top two are OOTS and Crumbs.

COBL surprise me too. I love how Bono sings "gro-ah-ound" at the end of each verse.

Back
Top Bottom