Best Song Survivor: War Round One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Sunday Bloody Sunday

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Year's Day

• Like a Song...

• Drowning Man

• Surrender

• "40"

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
New Year's Day and Like A Song for sure need to be finalists. The drumming ferocity, the intense guitar, the angry vocals. It's bliss.

New Years Day / Sunday Bloody Sunday / Drowning Man.

Got quite blown away by Drowning Man when I listened to the album yesterday. Hope it progresses, along with the two dinosaurs (which really are a class above the rest of this album).

My hopes for this album are Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day and "40".
And I wish Seconds and The Refugee won't be booted off too early, but I expect they will be.
This is gonna be really hard! There are only two songs on this album that I don't particularly care for. The others are great.

Red Light. Was never even attempted live, possibly never even rehearsed. I'm guessing they didn't have many songs for War, and consciously put this song on the album as filler. Keep in mind also that "40" was not even considered/recorded until the last day. Adam wasn't even in the studio that day, as all his parts were done. They didn't have the songs.

The mercy rule gets us through Survivor quicker though - isn't the American way to blunder blindly through things like other countries, recessions, Survivors ...? :wink:

The mercy rule gets us through Survivor quicker though - isn't the American way to blunder blindly through things like other countries, recessions, Survivors ...? :wink:

I don't apologize for what I do. You're either with me or you're a terrorist.

My goal in this round is to see Drowning Man advance. I will vote off any other song to help with that cause, including New Year's Day (although there's no chance that will happen).

I'm a huge fan of Drowning Man as well. It's a very urgent song that also manages to be tender and spiritual in a way that is not obvious or in anyway proselytizing. I'd say it is unique in their catalogue.

I honestly like pretty much every song on this album. Certainly don't mind a bit of Refugee. Red Light's the only one I've never been able to get into.

I can't see any other U2 song being so comprehensively ousted from the competition in an opening album round.

The closest that might come to it I'd say is Trip Through Your Wires? We'll see, but this is an utter shellacking.

The two warhorses are by far the best songs on this album.

I like Seconds, Like A Song, Drowning Man, Two Hearts, Surrender and 40, but they're not even close to the greatness called Sunday Bloody Sunday and New Years Day.

I can't see any other U2 song being so comprehensively ousted from the competition in an opening album round.

The closest that might come to it I'd say is Trip Through Your Wires? We'll see, but this is an utter shellacking.

I don't know, I reckon SUC could give it a run for its money.

I foresee Babyface copping it pretty hard in Zooropa's first round too - though probably not quite to this extent.

Oh, and 4th of July is guaranteed to exit the tournament swiftly when we get to UF.

I don't know, I reckon SUC could give it a run for its money.

Nah, SUC at least has some fans. ;) Myself included.

Babyface on the other hand... and as Ax said, 4th of July... yea. Not many fans there. Shame ATYCLB has so many shitty songs, or it would've been a big one too. But I think the first couple rounds will be divided between a few songs.

I like Babyface- a lot more than the First Time, which I often find unlistenable.

And I enjoy SUC; it's no masterpiece, but it's lighthearted and fun.

I'll be sad to see Refugee go next round. And I don't get the love for Like A Song.

Wow, I'm flying far outside the hive today.

The problem on Zooropa is that those of us who like Babyface wouldn't agree on another song to vote for instead of it, so there's pretty much no chance it'll survive when the half of the forum that hates it can all agree on a single song. Personally, I can't stand The Wanderer.

I like Babyface. The bassline and the cynical lyrics save it.

Love Rescue Me, Grace, Red Light, The Refugee and Peace on Earth are in my U2 hall of shit.

Babyface is probably my 5th favorite on Zooropa. It's between Daddy's Gonna Pay and The First Time. I don't find it unlistenable or cringeworthy at all. There is a lot of U2 stuff that is from the 00s that I find to be that way, though.

the tourist said:
The problem on Zooropa is that those of us who like Babyface wouldn't agree on another song to vote for instead of it, so there's pretty much no chance it'll survive when the half of the forum that hates it can all agree on a single song. Personally, I can't stand The Wanderer.

True. I'd like to vote for Dirty Day but I'll vote Wanderer to save Babyface.

I might abstain from voting in the Zooropa round because I like everything on it.

I'm in the same position. Sometimes I think I'm a little less keen on a couple of tracks, but then I listen to them again and they sound great. I guess I'll just be trying to level the playing field a bit.

Back
Top Bottom