Best Song Survivor v2: Zooropa era

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please select your FAVOURITE song(s)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for your FAVOURITE song(s).
The top SEVEN songs from this era proceed to the Nineties Semi-Final.

Welcome to the Zooropa era round in Best Song Survivor v2! The object of this game is to find Interference's favourite U2 songs. Each album will be featured in a single round with the non-album tracks from its era. The amount of finalists from each era is based on seeding from the latest U2 Album Survivor. These rounds will last 48 hours and will be multiple choice polls where you vote for your favourite tracks (within reason). A suggestion is to vote for the amount of tracks that will proceed to the next round, although this is not a hard and fast rule. Remember that there is a tradeoff: if you vote for more songs, the power of each of your votes is dampened, but if you vote for fewer songs, you get to spread your influence less far.

Only original U2 songs with official studio releases will compete. However, you are free to vote on the basis of live versions, alternate versions, remixes, etc., as in the normal version of Survivor. Basically whatever you think best represents the song in your mind.

The Achtung Baby round was possibly the closest of the entire tournament. There was a close contest for all seven finalist spots. The Fly continues to maintain its popularity on Interference, finishing at the top of the poll; surprisingly, Acrobat, once such a fan favourite here, only just scraped into the finals ahead of Zoo Station and EBTTRT. Lady With the Spinning Head could not replicate its finals placing of 2009, finishing three spots off the pace. The results for Achtung are the most different so far to 2009's results; I've included the 2009 results at the bottom in case anybody wants to see how much Interference's attitude has changed over the last four years. Also, although Everybody Loves a Winner was in the poll, it is actually a cover and shouldn't have been there; expunging it from the record doesn't make much of a difference since it only got one vote.

(bold = qualified for finals)
1. The Fly - 41 votes
2. Until the End of the World - 39
3. Ultra Violet - 38
=4. Love Is Blindness - 32
=4. One - 32
6. Mysterious Ways - 30
7. Acrobat - 29

8. Zoo Station - 27
9. Even Better Than the Real Thing - 26
10. Lady With the Spinning Head - 24
11. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - 22
12. So Cruel - 17
=13. Oh Berlin - 8
=13. Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World - 8
15. Salome - 7
=16. Alex Descends Into Hell For a Bottle of Milk/Korova 1 - 6
=16. Blow Your House Down - 6
18. Down All the Days - 5
19. Heaven and Hell - 4
20. Where Did It All Go Wrong? - 3
21. Near the Island - 0
(Total voters: 56)

RESULTS FROM 2009
(bold = qualified for finals)
1. The Fly - 78 votes
2. Until The End Of The World - 73
3. Acrobat - 70
=4. Lady With The Spinning Head - 59
=4. Mysterious Ways - 59
=4. Ultra Violet - 59
7. Love Is Blindness - 56

8. Zoo Station - 54
9. One - 47
10. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - 43
11. Even Better Than The Real Thing - 38
12. So Cruel - 32
13. Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk/Korova 1 - 18
14. Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World - 17
15. Salome - 14
16. Where Did It All Go Wrong? - 8
(Total votes: 103)

Zooropa
Numb
Lemon
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
The First Time
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me

Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
First Time
The Wanderer

I like a lot here, but Lemon, Stay, and Hold Me Thrill Me are so far above the rest that I only voted for them.

Zooropa
Babyface
Numb
Lemon
Stay(Faraway, So Close)
Dirty Day

Is HMTMKMKM grouped with Zooropa because it originated in those sessions? I only ask, because given that was released two years later, and played at every Popmart show, a lot of people have associated it with that era.

Zooropa
Numb
Lemon
Axver, could you add a vote for Stay for me please? Thanks!
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
Dirty Day
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me

easy round for me :) my favourite album and one hell of a single with HMTMKMKM!

Is HMTMKMKM grouped with Zooropa because it originated in those sessions? I only ask, because given that was released two years later, and played at every Popmart show, a lot of people have associated it with that era.

yeah i'd definitely say Zooropa because, like you said, it was recorded during the same sessions. but then, futher drawing a line under the whole Zooropa era, you've also got Passengers in between that and Pop.

Personally, even though it was recorded for/left off the album, I've always thought of the song as pretty separated from Zooropa anyway - probably just because of how far apart I heard them both. but it's definitely in the right poll here, if they release a Zooropa special edition (hopefully!!) there's no doubt the song would turn up on that. i've typed way too much there sorry.

Is HMTMKMKM grouped with Zooropa because it originated in those sessions?

Yes, and because the Passengers and Pop rounds are much more full than the Zooropa round. If I put HMTMKMKM elsewhere, we'd have only the bottom four not progressing. At it stands, having over half of this era progress seems a bit overkill to me, but that's what the polling in Album Survivor demanded.

Of all your U2 opinions, this is probably the worst.

Well, Zooropa was never more to U2 than an interesting interlude, and none of the songs are particularly potent.

As I said, there are some good songs here, I'm particularly fond of Stay, but frankly you could delete everyone one of these songs from U2's catalogue and it would not impact their legacy one iota.

Sorry.

Well, Zooropa was never more to U2 than an interesting interlude, and none of the songs are particularly potent.

And yet an "interesting interlude" resulted in a better album with better songs than albums like HTDAAB and NLOTH, both of which took about four years to make.

Zooropa, Lemon and Stay are three of the band's very best.

And yet an "interesting interlude" resulted in a better album with better songs than albums like HTDAAB and NLOTH, both of which took about four years to make.

Zooropa, Lemon and Stay are three of the band's very best.

Well, I won't argue your love of those songs, that's just a matter of taste. And I'll agree they're more interesting and even better than almost anything on HTDAAB. Though on balance I think NLOTH is superior to Zooropa...i.e. the three best songs on NLOTH are better than the three Zooropa tracks you've mentioned.

I'm not saying Zooropa's a bad record. I just don't find any of these songs among U2's elite. Your mileage may vary.

And some of us became hardcore fans during the "interesting interlude" era. That is the version of U2 we hold closest to our hearts. Not the 80s. And certainly not the 00s. U2 is such a dividing band. :( :wink:

And then there are those of us that find great beauty, wonder and fierceness in their songs from each decade!:wink:

for this round:
Zooropa
(I practically screamed w astonished joy when
I saw in the SLP back in ? late 2010 or early 11 that
they were doing Zooropa!)
Stay
Dirty Day

Clearly someone never ever heard Lemon, Zooropa or Stay.

All superior to anything on Pop which, if you know me, is an extremely bold statement.

The last couple minutes of the title track is the single most potent moment of U2's career in my opinion. I've heard thousands of albums and the jolt that part gives me is not something I've found elsewhere. Somehow I appreciate Lemon more and more every day; its impressionistic lyrics are subtle yet wonderfully descriptive and the music makes you feel weightless. Stay is one of those classic "I wish I'd written that" songs, enhanced by lonely, sorrowful production.

Well, Zooropa was never more to U2 than an interesting interlude

so we, as fans, are obliged to feel the same?! :wink:

you've posted some interesting stuff during this survivor thing that i've genuinely really enjoyed reading, now you've gone and ruined it for me :doh: couldn't disagree with you more on this album.

ps. completely agree with you on that LemonMelon. i don't get the feeling with any other song that I do hearing that final part of Zooropa, always loved the song but the thing is it took me a few years to really hit me just how special the whole thing is. somehow it was suddenly like hearing it in a completely new way, which probably makes no sense, I think maybe it was the fact I gave the album a bit of a break for a year or so then when I came back to it, that song had changed somehow, which is a bit strange.

Permaban for all Babyface voters. I'm baffled that it has more votes than Slow Dancing.

Also, the title track of Zooropa is one of U2's finest achievements. They've only recorded one song since 1993 that's been better, and that's Gone.

Back
Top Bottom