Best Song Survivor v2: War era

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please select your FAVOURITE song(s)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
War's an album I'll end up not listening to for a while and come back and forget how great a lot of it is! Always happens when I want to listen to Surrender again and end up giving the whole thing a listen. That song followed by "40" is a great way to finish an album. And Drowning Man is amazing, glad it wasn't attempted live it just wouldn't have worked as well in my opinion.

I remember hearing Treasure for the first time and thinking it was one of the best things they'd ever done but years later I still love the playing on it but the singing has worn off on me a LOT. :lol: very rough round the edges and not in a good way

Angels Too Tied To The Ground was a bit of a snooze-fest, I'd sooner have had Be There on the War Remaster in amongst those 25 remixes.

definitely voting for Endless Deep though - great track :up:

War is easily the best of the first three albums for me. The intensity is palpable throughout the entire thing. There is nothing contrived or over-wrought about it; in short, it feels raw and honest, which is a combination that no other U2 album achieves save perhaps Boy.

You don't think Achtung Baby achieves a degree of rawness? I find that to be the album's appeal. Despite the high budget, it still doesn't feel slick and commercial.

You don't think Achtung Baby achieves a degree of rawness?

It feels very carefully crafted to me (in terms of production, that is) - meticulous, almost. And that's not a knock on it at all, but rather just a different interest for them at that stage of their careers. I guess my definition of raw is something like The Stooges' Fun House.

Come on Seconds or Surrender! THBAO doesn't deserve to go through ahead of those two tracks - or Treasure, the second best War era song, but that battle's been lost already.

War is ludicrously underrated on this forum. I never see it shit on anywhere else, including sites that are pretty anti-U2 like rateyourmusic.

I call that the "SBS and NYD effect". For a casual fan or a U2 cynic, they're easy to latch onto. Boy is perhaps more for the post-punk aficionados, and I know I'm in a huge minority everywhere when it comes to October (though I swear that's partly because people go into it primed to hate it because of all the hype surrounding it; I know I expected utterly nothing the first time I heard it).

Back
Top Bottom