Best Song Survivor v2: The Unforgettable Fire era

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please select your FAVOURITE song(s)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for your FAVOURITE song(s).
The top SEVEN songs from this era proceed to the Late 1980s Quarter Final.

Welcome to the Unforgettable Fire era round in Best Song Survivor v2! The object of this game is to find Interference's favourite U2 songs. Each album will be featured in a single round with the non-album tracks from its era. The amount of finalists from each era is based on seeding from the latest U2 Album Survivor. These rounds will last 48 hours and will be multiple choice polls where you vote for your favourite tracks (within reason). A suggestion is to vote for the amount of tracks that will proceed to the next round, although this is not a hard and fast rule. Remember that there is a tradeoff: if you vote for more songs, the power of each of your votes is dampened, but if you vote for fewer songs, you get to spread your influence less far.

Only original U2 songs with official studio releases will compete. However, you are free to vote on the basis of live versions, alternate versions, remixes, etc., as in the normal version of Survivor. Basically whatever you think best represents the song in your mind.

The War era had the most clear-cut result of the three eras we have polled thus far. There was no closely fought fight for the final qualifying place. However, had War not had an unexpectedly poor showing in Album Survivor, that would not have been the case. In the past, War has made it into the middle tier of albums rather than the bottom tier, and had it done so this time, it would have had six finalists. Sixth place featured a three-way tie. (Also, NYD had by far the most emphatic showing of any song thus far, earning a vote from all but four participants in the poll.)

(bold = qualified for finals)
1. New Year's Day - 43 votes
2. Sunday Bloody Sunday - 36
3. Drowning Man - 29
4. Like a Song - 23
5. Two Hearts Beat As One - 20

=6. 40 - 16
=6. Seconds - 16
=6. Surrender - 16
9. Treasure (Whatever Happened to Pete the Chop?) - 8
10. The Refugee - 5
=11. Angels Too Tied to the Ground - 3
=11. Endless Deep - 3
13. Red Light - 2 lunatics
(Total votes: 47)

That means the early eighties quarter final will feature:
I Will Follow
An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart
Out of Control
A Day Without Me
The Electric Co.
11 O'clock Tick Tock
Gloria
Rejoice
Tomorrow
October
A Celebration
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
Like a Song
Drowning Man
Two Hearts Beat As One

Fuck. I'm possibly going to go overboard with my vote here. It's no secret that I think UF is U2's finest achievement. In all the other rounds, if I vote for the amount of songs that proceed to finals, my lower ranked songs would not be in my U2 top fifty. In this round? The following are in my U2 top fifty, in poll order:

A Sort of Homecoming
Pride
Wire
The Unforgettable Fire
Promenade
Bad
Indian Summer Sky
Boomerang II
Love Comes Tumbling
The Three Sunrises
Bass Trap

Not sure if I'll narrow those eleven down to seven or not.

This is my FAVORITE U2 record! It is the first U2 record I bought when it was first released. I love that they took a lot of risks with this one. The sound, mood and feel of this record is so much different then the Boy, October, War trio. It is so difficult to choose 5 so I'll select 6.

Unforgettable Fire
A Sort of Homingcoming
Bad
Love Come Tumbling
Pride
MLK

I would also include Three Sunrises, Promenade, Wire Indian Summer Sky and Disappearing Act to the list.

We can debate what the best U2 decade was, but the TUF/JT era b-sides were clearly their best, and it's not even close. Between those two records they had enough stellar b-sides to make up at least a couple more studio albums that would be superior to half their catalogue. The 80/90 b-sides disc alone is evidence of this. It's amazing that from 2000 on they could barely scrape together enough songs to put out three records, while they had a wealth of riches in this explosively creative and prolific period.

In any event, TUF is by far my favourite U2 record and the one closest to my heart, and trying to choose among these songs for me is pretty much impossible.

We can debate what the best U2 decade was, but the TUF/JT era b-sides were clearly their best, and it's not even close. Between those two records they had enough stellar b-sides to make up at least a couple more studio albums that would be superior to half their catalogue. The 80/90 b-sides disc alone is evidence of this. It's amazing that from 2000 on they could barely scrape together enough songs to put out three records, while they had a wealth of riches in this explosively creative and prolific period.

In any event, TUF is by far my favourite U2 record and the one closest to my heart, and trying to choose among these songs for me is pretty much impossible.

I don't normally expect to agree emphatically with you, but on this issue I would like to co-sign every word. A+ post, would recommend.

Homecoming
Pride
UF
Bad
Love Comes Tumbling
Yoshino Blossom

I still think this album is uneven, but the high points are ridiculously elevated. This round is also home to their finest b-side in Love Comes Tumbling and one of the best reissue tracks in Yoshino Blossom. I love the intensity of instrumentation in the latter.

I thought i'd be the only one to vote for Elvis. I really love this song. Great to see there are others who like it.

I really enjoy a lot here, but Pride, The Unforgettable Fire, A Sort of Homecoming, and Bad are so much better than anything else here that I'm voting for just them.

This album is slowly becoming my favorite U2 album. Achtung is still number one but it's really close.

The first five songs on this album are just ridiculously good. Best A-side of any U2 album. The B-side has Bad and Elvis Presley and America. Nuff said.

Ax, will you add a vote for Promenade for me? I voted about thirty seconds ago and forgot to click it.

Ax, will you add a vote for Promenade for me? I voted about thirty seconds ago and forgot to click it.

Yeah, no worries.

Don't worry man, I won't tell anyone. I wouldn't want to ruin your blue cred by letting it get out that you agreed with me. ;)

If you're going to keep writing posts like that, I'm happy to keep agreeing with you!

A Sort of Homecoming, The Unforgettable Fire, Promenade, Bad, MLK, Sixty Seconds in Kingdom Come, and Disappearing Act for me.

Disappearing Act is probably my favorite U2 b-side/rarity- I only wish it had been recorded earlier, when Bono's voice was in better shape...

Promenade.
ASOH
Pride
EPAA
TUF
Boomerang 2 and
Disappearing Act

Could have voted for any of them really.
Truly great album, one of 3 U2 masterpieces.

When the media reported about ATYCLB behind as ''U2's third masterpiece'' they were completely wrong (of course). This is their third masterpiece or actually their first.

Back
Top Bottom