Best Song Survivor v2: Rattle and Hum era

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please select your FAVOURITE song(s)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for your FAVOURITE song(s).
The top FIVE songs from this era proceed to the Late 1980s Quarter Final.

Welcome to the Joshua Tree era round in Best Song Survivor v2! The object of this game is to find Interference's favourite U2 songs. Each album will be featured in a single round with the non-album tracks from its era. The amount of finalists from each era is based on seeding from the latest U2 Album Survivor. These rounds will last 48 hours and will be multiple choice polls where you vote for your favourite tracks (within reason). A suggestion is to vote for the amount of tracks that will proceed to the next round, although this is not a hard and fast rule. Remember that there is a tradeoff: if you vote for more songs, the power of each of your votes is dampened, but if you vote for fewer songs, you get to spread your influence less far.

Only original U2 songs with official studio releases will compete. However, you are free to vote on the basis of live versions, alternate versions, remixes, etc., as in the normal version of Survivor. Basically whatever you think best represents the song in your mind.

In the last round, the Joshua Tree era featured a close tussle for practically every position. There is, however, a very clear distinction between the top four and the rest of the pack. Given the calibre and popularity of some of the songs polled, e.g. Streets and WOWY, it is perhaps surprising that none beat NYD's record for pulling the greatest percentage of votes relative to total votes cast. Unfortunately, although numerous b-sides polled very well, none made the finals; Spanish Eyes, which in 2009's edition of this tournament beat ISHFWILF to the seventh and last finals position, was unable to repeat that success in 2013.

(bold = qualified for finals)
1. Where the Streets Have No Name - 45 votes
2. With or Without You - 43
3. Running to Stand Still - 40
4. One Tree Hill - 39
5. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - 29
6. Exit - 27
7. In God's Country - 26

8. Red Hill Mining Town - 25
9. Bullet the Blue Sky - 21
10. Spanish Eyes - 18
11. Luminous Times - 17
12. Walk to the Water - 14
13. Sweetest Thing - 10
14. Mothers of the Disappeared - 9
15. Silver and Gold - 8
16. Wave of Sorrow - 5
17. Deep in the Heart - 4
18. Desert of Our Love - 3
=19. Beautiful Ghost - 2
=19. Rise Up - 2
=19. Trip Through Your Wires - 2
=22. Drunk Chicken - 1
=22. Race Against Time - 1
(Total voters: 54)

I'm focusing on the big three songs here: Heartland, one of U2's top three songs for me, Hawkmoon 269, one of U2's finest live moments, and God Part II, a beast in studio that tore venues apart live. AIWIY doesn't need my help, the shredding versions of Desire on Lovetown were incredible but all other versions of the song don't excite me that much, and although I wouldn't mind WLCTT making it into the top five, I don't feel passionately enough about it to swing it a vote.

Love Rescue Me and especially A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel are complete dreck. The latter is a leading contender for worst U2 song ever.

Listening to Heartland right now and feeling very nostalgic.

Aardvark747 and I once ran a Heartland Appreciation Thread to multiple parts. Good times.

Desire
Angel
Hawkmoon
AIWIY
God Pt 2

I know it's not all that appreciated in these parts, but Angel of Harlem just makes me happy. Same with Desire. And I've never been a huge fan of God Pt. 2, but lately it's really grown on me, so I threw a vote that way, too.

Desire
Angel
Hawkmoon
AIWIY
God Pt 2

I know it's not all that appreciated in these parts, but Angel of Harlem just makes me happy. Same with Desire. And I've never been a huge fan of God Pt. 2, but lately it's really grown on me, so I threw a vote that way, too.

Angel of Harlem is great, When Love Comes to Town is great, Love Rescue Me is great, all those songs you mentioned are great.

R&H is a kick ass record and one of their best. They just should have spilt the live tracks and the studio tracks on to two separate discs (or, more appropriately, albums). In fact this is what they should do for the remaster (if it comes at all)...put all the studio tracks (including the b-sides) from the R&H era onto one disc, and ALL the live tracks from the film on another. And a video of one of the Lovetown shows to boot.

Of course, that's not what they will do, but it's what they should do.

They're legit votes from me for Hallelujah and Heartbreak, by the way. Always loved those two.

Also Pop >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rattle and Hum.

Van Diemen's Land (yes, I love that one)
Hawkmoon (incredible @ Lovetown)
Heartland (sublime)
God Part II (incredible @ Lovetown)
All I Want Is You

About Love Rescue Me: very boring on record, but very passionate @ Lovetown, especially on 26-12-1989 (those vocals:drool:)

In fact this is what they should do for the remaster (if it comes at all)...put all the studio tracks (including the b-sides) from the R&H era onto one disc, and ALL the live tracks from the film on another. And a video of one of the Lovetown shows to boot.

I'm saving a special little place on my credit card for this. U2, if you're listening, release this super-duper deluxe edition and you're guaranteed some $$$ from me.

They just should have spilt the live tracks and the studio tracks on to two separate discs (or, more appropriately, albums).

Yeah, when you look at the tracklisting as it is in the poll with just the studio tracks, it looks pretty damn impressive. I'm wondering now if, in retrospect, the ideal release for this album would have been a six-song EP that accompanied the film or a full live album.

Anyway, my choices:

Desire
Angel of Harlem
Heartland
All I Want Is You
Hallelujah

Yeah, when you look at the tracklisting as it is in the poll with just the studio tracks, it looks pretty damn impressive. I'm wondering now if, in retrospect, the ideal release for this album would have been a six-song EP that accompanied the film or a full live album.

Anyway, my choices:

Desire
Angel of Harlem
Heartland
All I Want Is You
Hallelujah

Not including Hawkmoon would be criminal.

Love Rescue Me is the worst U2 album track I can think of. Heartland was always my favourite Rattle and Hum song.

Concentrating my votes. Angel of Harlem, Heartland, and All I Want Is You.

Love Rescue Me is the worst U2 album track I can think of. Heartland was always my favourite Rattle and Hum song.

Once I again I have to give props to Mother Nature for her love of diversity, because I feel the opposite. Heartland probably sits right at the bottom of all songs by U2 for me... just bleh.

And I have to give props to Nick for saying he loves R&H, 'cause I really do, even though it feels like the bastard child that the band doesn't want to acknowledge and the press still loves to hate it 25 years later. I'll just never stop loving it. And now to whittle down the favorites....

I'm saving a special little place on my credit card for this. U2, if you're listening, release this super-duper deluxe edition and you're guaranteed some $$$ from me.

is there ever going to be a R&H deluxe remastered version?

Once I again I have to give props to Mother Nature for her love of diversity, because I feel the opposite. Heartland probably sits right at the bottom of all songs by U2 for me... just bleh.

And I have to give props to Nick for saying he loves R&H, 'cause I really do, even though it feels like the bastard child that the band doesn't want to acknowledge and the press still loves to hate it 25 years later. I'll just never stop loving it. And now to whittle down the favorites....

You know, despite what I'd call revisionist history regarding this record, I don't think the band ever really disowned it, and least to the extent they've disowned some other records. They certainly never disowned the music; rather they just distanced themselves from the image they had created for themselves...an image that ultimately went over the top with R&H, but certainly didn't begin there.

In any event, I do love this under rated record, it usually falls in my Top 5. :) Though I disagree with you about Heartland...I actually think Desire is probably the weakest of the studio tracks.

There are three tracks from the record - Desire, Angel Of Harlem, and All I Want Is You - that are still live staples. If that's not acknowledging it, what do we call what they have been doing with Pop? :wink: :wink:

You know, despite what I'd call revisionist history regarding this record, I don't think the band ever really disowned it, and least to the extent they've disowned some other records. They certainly never disowned the music; rather they just distanced themselves from the image they had created for themselves...an image that ultimately went over the top with R&H, but certainly didn't begin there.

In any event, I do love this under rated record, it usually falls in my Top 5. :) Though I disagree with you about Heartland...I actually think Desire is probably the weakest of the studio tracks.

True, they have said that they felt they did some good music at the time, and someone, maybe Adam said that he stands behind the songs. I think it's less that they dislike the work than that they are so destroyed by criticism. They just want to universally loved. And again about Desire... genetic diversity must ensure the survival of the U2-fan species. :D

Pop's last name is Rousseau; it's the baby they sent to the orphanage.

As others have posted, when the live songs are eliminated I think R&H is a very strong record. I would love to see a reissue of R&H especially if it had a Love Town DVD. I wish we got that show here in the States.

My choice:
Harkmoon 269
Heartland
Love Rescue Me
When Love Comes to Town

Of course I love Angel, AIWIY, God PtII etc but I don't think they need my help.

Glad IGC and ISHFWiLF snuck through.

Not much worth voting for from this average album. Heartland simply must get a vote, and I'll throw some votes behind Angel and Desire in the hope that they prevent a God Part II or Hawkmoon from progressing.

Angel of Harlem is probably in my top 10 U2 songs. I love that one. Voted for it, All I Want is You, Desire, and Hawkmoon.

Take out the live tracks, throw in the b-sides (and a couple covers), and you have a hell of a U2 record:

Van Diemen's Land
Desire
Heartland
God Part II
Hawkmoon 269
Angel of Harlem
Love Rescue Me
When Love Comes to Town
Jesus Christ
Dancing Barefoot
A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel
Hallelujah (Here She Comes)