Best Song Survivor v2: October era

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please select your FAVOURITE song(s)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for your FAVOURITE song(s).
The top FIVE songs from this era proceed to the Early 1980s Quarter Final.

Welcome to the October era round in Best Song Survivor v2! The object of this game is to find Interference's favourite U2 songs. Each album will be featured in a single round with the non-album tracks from its era. The amount of finalists from each era is based on seeding from the latest U2 Album Survivor. These rounds will last 48 hours and will be multiple choice polls where you vote for your favourite tracks (within reason). A suggestion is to vote for the amount of tracks that will proceed to the next round, although this is not a hard and fast rule. Remember that there is a tradeoff: if you vote for more songs, the power of each of your votes is dampened, but if you vote for fewer songs, you get to spread your influence less far.

Only original U2 songs with official studio releases will compete. However, you are free to vote on the basis of live versions, alternate versions, remixes, etc., as in the normal version of Survivor. Basically whatever you think best represents the song in your mind.

In the Boy era round, five songs easily qualified for the finals, but there was a close tussle for the sixth position. Notably, one non-album track stormed into the finals. The results were:

(bold = qualified for finals)
1. An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart - 44 votes
2. The Electric Co. - 43
=3. 11 O'clock Tick Tock - 40
=3. I Will Follow - 40
5. Out of Control - 39
6. A Day Without Me - 17

=7. Another Time, Another Place - 16
=7. Twilight - 16
=9. Shadows and Tall Trees - 12
=9. Stories for Boys - 12
11. The Ocean - 10
12. Street Mission - 4
13. Another Day - 3
=14. Boy/Girl - 2
=14. Saturday Night - 2
=14. Things to Make and Do - 2
=14. Touch - 2
=18. Speed of Life - 0
=18. The Fool - 0
(Total votes: 55)

Stunned nobody voted for The Fool last round. It's such a great track. I nearly threw a vote at it.

This round, my top four is clear: Gloria, Rejoice, A Celebration, Tomorrow. I'm only going to vote for five tracks, so it's tough to choose which will be fifth out of Brick, Fire, and Scarlet. Might wait a bit and see how the vote pans out...

I Fall Down deserves precisely zero votes.

...I voted for I Fall Down, it's probably my favorite song off October...but that's not saying much.

I newly discovered how awesome With a Shout is. You all should do the same so it can proceed to the finals ;)

I newly discovered how awesome With a Shout is. You all should do the same so it can proceed to the finals ;)

The alternative live version on the October remaster has turned me into a huge fan of With A Shout.

A Celebration, Gloria, Scarlet and Tomorrow are my favourites here.

October is a beautiful and much under rated album.

Went with Fire for my fifth vote. I've never entirely understood why it's so unpopular here. Hope Brick and Scarlet continue to do well, but I'm surprised they threaten to overtake Rejoice right now. That's always seemed to be a bit of a fan favourite here, sometimes really challenging October and Tomorrow in regular Survivor. I reckon it's the second best song on the album, behind Gloria.

Also, when I saw that Is That All? had only one vote, I was quite surprised to discover it was not inte! :lol:

Gloria
I Fall Down
I Threw a Brick Through a Window
Rejoice
Tomorrow
October

Almost a straight vote for the album's first 6, but have to kick Fire out of there first. That's the one that deserves no votes. :wink:

I like the album a lot. I see a big leap in song writing maturity from Boy to October.

I get why most people prefer Boy to October overall, but I don't get why many do not come back round to appreciating it more after getting to know it better.

wow, not a lot of love for Stranger In A Strange Land :sad:

I voted for:
Gloria
October
Tomorrow
Fire
Stranger In A Strange Land
J. Swallow

I figured I'd be one of the only guys throwing a vote to Johnny Swallow. We'll see if anyone joins me. I'm a little surprised Fire isn't doing better. It's a good song.

voted for way too many this round. definitely one of the abums that had the biggest impact on me as a teenager when I just fell in love with U2. I know it's not the album for a die-hard U2 fan, but listening to October, and Boy for that matter, just takes me back to when I first got into this band in such a big way. I know it's not the U2 mega fan's album of choice and my votes spread across so many tracks will mean nothing, but fuck it I'm drunk as hell, listening to October to remind me how fantastic it is, and really happy :)

Preach that October love. Fucking fine album; doesn't deserve most of the flak it receives.

Also I'm glad to see Fire's vote has improved so much since my last post, and that Scarlet is doing so well. I've been saying for so long that Scarlet is a gem and I'm glad its resurrection on 360 has given it a bit of a revival on here.

Doesn't it feel better to vote for things you LIKE?

At last, we'll know what the best U2 song is, instead of the least shitty one.

Add a vote to Is That All for me plskthxbai

Sure.

To clarify the prohibition on vote changes for this tournament: I'm willing to make an exception to that rule if people make a genuine mistake in voting (select wrong song, accidentally miss one, whatever) and post about it promptly. That sort of stuff I will correct.

However, there will be no strategic vote changing, no changes well after the fact, no "I changed my mind" or voter's remorse. Too much drama last time and I honestly just don't want to deal with it.

Wow, the voting is really turning out to be closer than I expected, especially for Rejoice making the finals.

Preach that October love. Fucking fine album; doesn't deserve most of the flak it receives.

Also I'm glad to see Fire's vote has improved so much since my last post, and that Scarlet is doing so well. I've been saying for so long that Scarlet is a gem and I'm glad its resurrection on 360 has given it a bit of a revival on here.

I don't think any U2 album deserves flak. All are enjoyable, but I guess compared to others it isn't quite as great. October is still good though.

Gloria, I Threw a Brick, A Celebration

caught the rehash of Boy - i didn't have time to get on line so missed it BUT
I see the songs I would have chosen are in there. :applaud:

I found/find much of both Boy & Octobor either boring or almost-cringe-worthy hearing them at the time they were released. Still feel pretty much the same way.

So how then did I become a serious U2 fan?

1>The songs I did like - I loved ! From those I felt they wouold eventually get better and better.
they did! :D

2> Editor/puplisher of New York Rocker Andy Schwatrz saw them in England at The Marquee Club a few weeks before they toured The USA for the frirst time, and raved about them in performance. I definately trusted his opinion.

I was waiting to see them get to the States, and managed to miss their shows, because didn't see the local ads in the Village Voice, and was still following the original CBGB's Bands so that was major competitionn for my attention and money.

Don't think I heard any of my fav DJ's talk about them arriving in NYC etc. either! They were the types who probably would have mentioned them.

(for me War was their break-out album)

Gloria, Rejoice, Tomorrow, October and A Celebration. I Threw A Brick live is good too and I tolerate Scarlet. The rest is crap.

Back
Top Bottom