Best Song Survivor v2: No Line On The Horizon era

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please select your FAVOURITE song(s)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for your FAVOURITE song(s).
The top SEVEN songs from this era proceed to the 2000s Semi Final.

Welcome to the NLOTH era round in Best Song Survivor v2! The object of this game is to find Interference's favourite U2 songs. Each album will be featured in a single round with the non-album tracks from its era. The amount of finalists from each era is based on seeding from the latest U2 Album Survivor. These rounds will last 24 hours and will be multiple choice polls where you vote for your favourite tracks (within reason). A suggestion is to vote for the amount of tracks that will proceed to the next round, although this is not a hard and fast rule.

Only original U2 songs with official studio releases will compete. Please vote solely on the basis of studio tracks. Songs with multiple versions will be listed separately; remixes will not, so if you favour a remix over the original song, vote on the basis of your favourite.

The ATYCLB round finished with five very clear finalists, then a distant battle for the sixth and last spot. When I Look At The World just beat out Stuck In A Moment for sixth. Up the top, in perhaps a little bit of a surprise, Walk On and Kite both outdid Beautiful Day. A number of non-album tracks polled very well; The Ground Beneath Her Feet and Electrical Storm both cruised into finals berths, while a number of others beat album tracks. Indeed, for a change, an album track - Grace - came dead last. The only other album tracks to "achieve" uncontested last placings for their era are 4th Of July and Babyface.

The HTDAAB round came down to the wire. City Of Blinding Lights was a comfortable top qualifier, but the other four positions were hotly contested and a couple of tracks only marginally missed out. OOTS came within a vote of qualifying. Amongst the qualifiers were two non-album tracks - Fast Cars and Window In The Skies. Two other non-album tracks, Smile and Native Son, did better than over a quarter of HTDAAB.

Today there is just the one round.

INTERFERENCE'S ATYCLB RANKING
(Songs in bold proceed to the semi finals)
1. Walk On - 60 votes
2. Kite - 54
3. Beautiful Day - 51
4. Electrical Storm - 47
5. The Ground Beneath Her Feet - 43
6. When I Look At The World - 27

7. Stuck In A Moment - 25
In A Little While - 22
Stateless - 21
Elevation - 20
Summer Rain - 20
New York - 18
Always - 16
The Hands That Built America - 15
Levitate - 14
Big Girls Are Best - 11
Wild Honey - 9
Flower Child - 8
Love You Like Mad - 4
Peace On Earth - 4
Grace - 2
(Total votes: 77)

INTERFERENCE'S HTDAAB ERA RANKING
(Songs in bold proceed to the semi finals)
1. City Of Blinding Lights - 48 votes
2. Vertigo - 38
3. Fast Cars - 34
4. Window In The Skies - 32
5. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - 31

6. Original Of The Species - 30
7. Miracle Drug - 28
8. Crumbs From Your Table - 26
=9. Love And Peace Or Else - 21
=9. One Step Closer - 21
11. Smile - 20
12. Native Son - 17
13. All Because Of You - 15
14. Xanax And Wine - 13
=15. A Man And A Woman - 12
=15. Yahweh - 12
17. Alt. Yahweh - 10
=18. Alt. All Because Of You - 7
=18. Are You Gonna Wait Forever - 7
20. Alt. SYCMIOYO - 2
(Total votes: 76)

I'm still considering my vote. I'll definitely go for Fez, White As Snow, Cedars, and NLOTH II (which, for the record, kills NLOTH I), but I'm not sure whether to vote for any/all out of Magnificent, MOS, Unknown Caller, and Crazy Tonight.

I would, however, like to continue discussion of something I raised late in the ATYCLB round. It is with regards to the fact we can only have 30 options in the grand final due to forum limitations, but MW and LIB tying for 10th in the 1990s semi means we have 31 qualifiers.

I've thought of a potential solution. MW and LIB both got 38/84 votes, 45.24% of the vote. If eighth place from the 2000s semis does not achieve that many votes, it will be eliminated and its spot taken by one of the tied tracks. Before anybody asks about eliminating the 12th qualifier from the 1980s - The Electric Co. polled 36/79 votes, 45.57%, just fractionally ahead of MW and LIB, so the twelve 1980s qualifiers will be unchanged.

However, if eighth place in the 2000s does poll over 45.24%, I'm not sure what to do ... I don't really want to do a play-off between MW and LIB, but that may be the only option. Or I could break the tie by adding Achtung era votes to the semi-final votes, giving MW the win by a couple of votes. As far as those two options go, I think I actually favour a play-off ...

It has also been suggested that both MW and LIB should be cut, but I'd prefer a top 30 final, and I think MW and LIB are both good chances to poll better than some other finalists so I'd like them to have a run.

Wow I could have easily voted more than the 7, but this time I decided to stick with it. The first 6 on the album get through for me easily. I also took Breathe, but the others on the album and NLOTH II only barely missed it by this much. (TBORD and Winter were not in the running for me)

No Line On The Horizon
Magnificent
Moment Of Surrender
Unknown Caller
Crazy Tonight
Get On Your Boots
Breathe

NLOTH
Magnificent
Moment of Surrender
Breathe
FEZ-Being Born
Crazy Tonight
Cedars of Lebanon

I want a MW/LIB playoff no matter the results of the 2000s poll. We only have 8 qualifiers right now from 2000s which is already underrepresented so I think to take any more would be weighting the poll away from 00s too much.

Ah no, my beloved Sexy Boots, Winter and Cedarse are struggling. And that Crazy Tonight thing is in strong contention.

No Line On The Horizon, Magnificent, Moment of Surrender, Unknown Caller, SEXY BOOTS, Fez/Being Born, Breathe, Cedars of Lebanon

No Line On The Horizon
Breathe
Fez-Being Born
Magnificent
Moment Of Surrender
Unknown Caller

voting was never this easy...

Man, what a shame NLOTH I is getting the votes instead of NLOTH II. I can barely even listen to the album version because II is so much better.

nloth, magnificent, unknown caller, stand up comedy, fez-being born, breathe, nloth 2

oh and re: the top 30 thing axver, i like the idea of if the bottom qualifier for the 00s era has less votes than mw or lib to cut it. i'd say do that or a mw vs. lib poll, though i don't like this option as much since as you said (i think it was you anyway), putting one song against another in a poll is basically what you were avoiding doing with these polls.

I'm still considering my vote. I'll definitely go for Fez, White As Snow, Cedars, and NLOTH II (which, for the record, kills NLOTH I), but I'm not sure whether to vote for any/all out of Magnificent, MOS, Unknown Caller, and Crazy Tonight.

I would, however, like to continue discussion of something I raised late in the ATYCLB round. It is with regards to the fact we can only have 30 options in the grand final due to forum limitations, but MW and LIB tying for 10th in the 1990s semi means we have 31 qualifiers.

It has also been suggested that both MW and LIB should be cut, but I'd prefer a top 30 final, and I think MW and LIB are both good chances to poll better than some other finalists so I'd like them to have a run.

make a poll just with the 2 of them.... and you include the winner

Man, what a shame NLOTH I is getting the votes instead of NLOTH II. I can barely even listen to the album version because II is so much better.

I'm the complete opposite, I start diving for the Stop button as soon as Cedars finishes so that my NLOTH experience isn't tainted by II. Inferior Holy Joe.

Not really. I adore the song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom