Best Song Survivor v2: Nineties Semi-Final

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please select your FAVOURITE song(s)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for your FAVOURITE song(s).
The top ELEVEN songs from this era proceed to the Grand Final.

Welcome to the nineties semi-final in Best Song Survivor v2! The object of this game is to find Interference's favourite U2 songs. Each album will be featured in a single round with the non-album tracks from its era. The amount of finalists from each era is based on seeding from the latest U2 Album Survivor. These rounds will last 48 hours and will be multiple choice polls where you vote for your favourite tracks (within reason). A suggestion is to vote for the amount of tracks that will proceed to the next round, although this is not a hard and fast rule. Remember that there is a tradeoff: if you vote for more songs, the power of each of your votes is dampened, but if you vote for fewer songs, you get to spread your influence less far.

Only original U2 songs with official studio releases will compete. However, you are free to vote on the basis of live versions, alternate versions, remixes, etc., as in the normal version of Survivor. Basically whatever you think best represents the song in your mind.

The Pop era round was very close, with eight songs seriously in contention for the seven finals spots. In the end, Wake Up Dead Man was the song that had to miss out. Also, although no b-sides made the final, they held their own this round, with North and South of the River doing better than a third of the songs from Pop. Out of the 26 nineties semi-finalists, only ten have been featured on U2's Best Of compilations (eleven if you count The Fly as a bonus track on some issues). However, they fare a bit better on the singles front: thirteen, or half the semi-finalists, have been singles. The semi features seven tracks from both Achtung and Pop, six from Zooropa, five from Passengers, and one non-album single.

(bold = qualified for finals)
1. Discotheque - 34 votes
2. Please - 33
3. Gone - 32
4. Mofo - 30
5. Do You Feel Loved - 27
=6. Last Night on Earth - 24
=6. Staring at the Sun - 24

8. Wake Up Dead Man - 21
9. North and South of the River - 13
10. Miami - 11
11. If You Wear That Velvet Dress - 10
=12. If God Will Send His Angels - 8
=12. Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad - 8
14. Holy Joe - 7
=15. I'm Not Your Baby - 5
=15. The Playboy Mansion - 5

One
Until the End of the World
Ultraviolet
Love Is Blindness
Zooropa
Stay
Slug
Your Blue Room
Staring at the Sun
Please

Such a damn good bunch of songs.

I didn't realize If You Wear That Velvet Dress had such a low "Favorite" rating around here. :sad: Too bad.

One
The Fly

Zooropa
Lemon
Stay (Faraway, So Close)
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me

Slug

Do You Feel Loved
Mofo
Gone

SPECTACULAR new avatar!..."You can't live forever...you can't live forever..."

Fuck you're the only one here who makes me jealous of their avatar. Curse you Digitize!

Haha, I'm sorry/you're welcome! :)

One
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
Ultraviolet
Stay

Lots of great songs, but these 6 are better than the rest. Pity Wake Up Dead Man didn't make it in.

This is a pretty strong collection of tracks; I think the eighties selection was superior, but this is still impressive. I don't really think that One, UV, Daddy's Gonna Pay, Miss Sarajevo, or SATS really belong amongst the other 21 tracks, but those 21 really capture what made U2 great in the nineties and I'm having trouble narrowing my selection down to eleven. It's obviously going to be a brutal battle for those last few qualifying spots and every vote will count.

Well, at least LWTSH didn't beat One this time.

Psh, it should've. That's still one of my favourite Survivor results on here. LWTSH is an amazing song and it's better than most of the tracks in this semi.

To be honest, I didn't know Until the End of the World was this loved on this board. I knew it was liked, but not this much.

Only voting 4. Ultraviolet, Zooropa, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, and Do You Feel Loved.

Until The End Of The World
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
Love Is Blindness
Zooropa
Lemon
Stay
Your Blue Room
Mofo
Gone
Please

One
The Fly
Acrobat
Love Is Blindness
Zooropa
Lemon
Stay
Your Blue Room
Mofo
Gone
Please

Was really difficult.

Shite, this is problematic. .I have no idea what to vote for.. :crack:

Really can't narrow it down even more. All these songs are worth it.

UTEOTW, The Fly, Acrobat, Zooropa, Lemon, HMTMKMKM, Discotheque, DYFL, MOfo, GOne

Psh, it should've. That's still one of my favourite Survivor results on here. LWTSH is an amazing song and it's better than most of the tracks in this semi.

Well, it never surprises me when any given individual likes any one song over any other. I'm sure there's someone out there who prefers Red Light to Streets. That's just individual taste.

But in the aggregate, when a community like this prefers a b-side that even the band didn't think was good enough to make the record to one of U2's seminal songs, and quite possibly one of the most widely loved tracks in rock history, I find it...interesting.

Don't get me wrong, I know some people like you genuinely don't like the song, and that's fine. But frankly I think with One and a number of other songs in these polls there's just a "sick of it" factor going on. I have no doubt that if One were a new song on the next record, the drooling on this site would be such that you'd need a spittle bucket to clean it all up. Still, I'm at a loss to explain the sometimes significant variation in results between these polls your doing now, Digitize's survivor, and his Rate the Song series. I guess I'll just chalk it up to fickleness.

Anyway, the fall from grace of Acrobat is interesting (how can people talk like this, and vote like that), and Miami beating out IGWSHA is the new LWTSH beating One.

I'm at a loss to explain the sometimes significant variation in results between these polls your doing now, Digitize's survivor, and his Rate the Song series. I guess I'll just chalk it up to fickleness.

Some of it can be chalked up to difference in methodologies. This survivor has the disadvantage of forcing people to treat their favorite song and the other songs that they like the same way. The other survivor has the disadvantage of allowing ridiculous amounts of strategizing, though part of that was my fault, because I didn't disallow vote changing from the beginning (though strategizing is still quite possible without vote changing, just to a somewhat lesser extent). Rate the song has the disadvantage of requiring that people maintain a fixed meaning of for each ranking, which often fails. And it has its own perverse incentives; if you think that Streets is overrates, and should be ranked as a 6, but everyone is ranking it as a 10, you have an incentive to vote it as a 0. So all of them create noisy results in different ways.

Some of it can be chalked up to difference in methodologies.

Makes sense. I'm wondering if you (or Axver) have also noticed that the results also vary depending on how many people are participating...i.e. when we are in the midst of a new record/tour, I'd imagine participation on this site grows accordingly, meaning more "casual" (or at least, less hard-core) fans are coming here, which would naturally skew the voting more towards the mainstream.

Then again, perhaps this is impossible to tell, as I'd imagine that these polls are only done during the slow times w/o a record or tour when the casuals really aren't hanging out here anyway.

Makes sense. I'm wondering if you (or Axver) have also noticed that the results also vary depending on how many people are participating...i.e. when we are in the midst of a new record/tour, I'd imagine participation on this site grows accordingly, meaning more "casual" (or at least, less hard-core) fans are coming here, which would naturally skew the voting more towards the mainstream.

Then again, perhaps this is impossible to tell, as I'd imagine that these polls are only done during the slow times w/o a record or tour when the casuals really aren't hanging out here anyway.

I think these polls are generally run during the dry times, so it's hard to say. But there is a strong correlation between time since the last album was released and that album's performance in these polls.

One
Love is Blindness
Stay
Miss Sarajevo
Mofo

I was hoping that Velvet Dress &/or WUDM would have it through...oh well...Great collection of songs regardless. Very difficult to choose.

Back
Top Bottom