Best Song Survivor v2: How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb era

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please select your FAVOURITE song(s)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah, agreed. It's not a favourite of mine at all, but it's by no means the worst song on the album, let alone from the era. In particular I'm baffled by the fact Big Girls Are Best polled better than, well, anything else from that selection.

It's nowhere near my favourites, but it is a good song. Miles better than Grace!!!

I'm glad WILATW made it!!

I'm in a good mood today, so I'm feeling especially generous. Lucky for htdaab. If I had been crabby, only COBL and Fast cars would have gotten my vote.

Vertigo
Sometimes...
Love and Peace
City of Blinding Lights
Fast Cars
Xanax and Wine
Window in the Skies

This album has aged quite badly for me. Looking at the tracklist, there is nothing that I actively dislike, but there's also nothing on the album proper that belongs alongside their best tracks. Fast Cars is the only one from this era that I would call great, though Native Son comes close - it's probably the rawest rock track they have recorded since Last Night on Earth.

My choices:

Fast Cars
Native Son
CoBL

I'm glad AMAAW is doing so well. And I hated that track a couple of years ago. Now it's my favorite on this record.

I still think Vertigo is a great rocker as well.

What a massive, massive disappointment this record was. After U2 recovered from Pop (their own version of the Stone's Emotional Rescue) with ATYCLB and became the biggest band in the world again, they decided they like being on top and played it safe. This is U2 on cruise control.

This harsh sounding, brick walled record has questionable production and lacks the lush sound of its immediate predecessor, which it's always mistakenly paired with. It does yield a few gems...COBL is the clear stand out, Vertigo was an important, monster single for them with a killer hook, and I kinda like Miracle Drug and OOTS...but the rest is just varying degrees of mediocrity (to the outright unlistenable). To this day I can't fathom why anyone things SYCMIOYO is remotely interesting (despite Bono's emotional connection to the song).

I actually think I liked NLOTH the first time I heard it a little more than I do now because it was everything Bomb wasn't, and I was just so relieved U2 was doing something interesting again. I appreciate the legions of fans this record and that iPod commercial got them (and there are indeed a LOT of new U2 fans because of Bomb), but I rate it solidly towards the bottom of their catalogue.

To this day I can't fathom why anyone things SYCMIOYO is remotely interesting (despite Bono's emotional connection to the song).

It is precisely BECAUSE of Bono's emotional appeal that SYCMIOYO shines. The build up to the "can you hear me when I siiiiiiiiiinnnnnnggg" lyric is amazing. And the chorus is quite good, too. A raw, honest, heartbroken Bono singing about his recently deceased father. I love it.

It is precisely BECAUSE of Bono's emotional appeal that SYCMIOYO shines. The build up to the "can you hear me when I siiiiiiiiiinnnnnnggg" lyric is amazing. And the chorus is quite good, too. A raw, honest, heartbroken Bono singing about his recently deceased father. I love it.

He's covered this subject matter in other songs much better, IMO. The intentions behind the song are great and all (and I sort of agree about the lyric you mention), but the execution is poor. Well, no, it's not poor, it's just boring and uninteresting, which is worse than poor. I don't give the song any extra points because of the subject matter, or intent. I actually think his words introducing Kite at the Slane Castle concert are a lot more moving than this muzak.

I'm going to laugh if both Vertigo and Native Son qualify for the finals.

Though right now it looks like it's a battle between SYCMIOYO and Crumbs for sixth, and I damn hope Crumbs emerges victorious. SYCMIOYO is such a plodding, boring song - I'm with Nick on this count.

well, i loved WITS from the start

agree w lov1 on SYCMIOYO

As I see it, Nick, Kite seems to be about the uncertanty when a parent get very ill but also about rumminating about Life and how one has lived it up to that point- of course evoked/provoked by his father's dying/death.....

.... one of most fav line for me ..... "did I waste it? Not so much I couldn't taste it"

Where as SYCMIOYO is mostly specific about Boono's difficult relationship with his father.

WITS is a freaking cheese bucket! "And to love I rhapsodize..." what the hell does that mean anyway?? Musically it is an interesting tribute to the Beatles I guess. But the lyrics make me cringe. "Soul in its strip tease. Hate brought to it's knees." :yuck:

yeah i've always really liked it, interesting little sidestep after that bloody terrible album - nice to hear them do a song like that, unashamedly anthemic, just saying fuck it and recording a song with this really big arrangement, and all the [beatles] trimmings :wink:

I wasn't devastated when they didn't play it beyond a few dates in 2006 but I think it's a really nice song and now I'm wishing I'd voted for it.

Voted vertigo, cool, oots, and Window in the Skies. Some great songs on this record, but totally ruined by the production. Hopefully the abomination called A Man and a Woman doesn't make it.

Awesome that for once OOTS won't be representing HTDAAB. I would give it a negative vote if I could.

Maybe we could do a survivor where you can give positive and negative votes. Has that ever been done before? It could be really fun. I can already imagine all the arguing.

I wish the Vertigo Chicago DVD artwork was the HTDAAB cover instead. I love the look of that, some of their best artwork. The album cover....not so much.

Maybe we could do a survivor where you can give positive and negative votes. Has that ever been done before? It could be really fun. I can already imagine all the arguing.

A while back. The problem with those is that they NEVER end.

Back
Top Bottom