Best Song Survivor v2: Boy era

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please select your FAVOURITE song(s)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for your FAVOURITE song(s).
The top SIX songs from this era proceed to the Early 1980s Quarter Final.

Welcome to the Boy era round in Best Song Survivor v2! The object of this game is to find Interference's favourite U2 songs. Each album will be featured in a single round with the non-album tracks from its era. The amount of finalists from each era is based on seeding from the latest U2 Album Survivor. These rounds will last 48 hours and will be multiple choice polls where you vote for your favourite tracks (within reason). A suggestion is to vote for the amount of tracks that will proceed to the next round, although this is not a hard and fast rule. Remember that there is a tradeoff: if you vote for more songs, the power of each of your votes is dampened, but if you vote for fewer songs, you get to spread your influence less far.

Only original U2 songs with official studio releases will compete. However, you are free to vote on the basis of live versions, alternate versions, remixes, etc., as in the normal version of Survivor. Basically whatever you think best represents the song in your mind.

In Best Album Survivor, Achtung Baby edged out The Joshua Tree for #1. Only three voters did not cast one of their votes for Achtung; only six did not cast one of their votes for JT. Meanwhile, October, RAH, and Passengers tied for the wooden spoon. Interference's ranking was:

(Top five qualifiers receive seven songs in finals.)
1. Achtung Baby - 50 votes
2. The Joshua Tree - 47
3. The Unforgettable Fire - 34
4. Zooropa - 32
5. Pop - 29
(Middle four qualifiers receive six songs in finals.)
6. All That You Can't Leave Behind - 16
7. Boy - 13
=8. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb - 11
=8. No Line on the Horizon - 11
(Bottom four qualifiers receive five songs in finals.)
10. War - 9
=11. October - 3
=11. Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1 - 3
=11. Rattle and Hum - 3
(Total votes: 53)

You can compare those results with past rankings here.

THERE WILL BE NO VOTE CHANGING IN THIS TOURNAMENT.

Massive disparity between the top five and the rest, and similarly the bottom three are drastically far behind the middle pack.

This era's fucking great. The whole album kills, and most of those non-album tracks are great too, especially 11OTT. It's the essence of what live U2 is all about. Not 100% sure just how far to spread my vote yet though.

Top 4 in this poll were easy. OOC, IWF, 11OTT, and TEC.

5 and 6 were a little tricky. I went with ACD and The Ocean. But I wouldn't cry if Twilight, ATAP, or ADWM advance instead.

Boy is a really good and consistent album for a debut! It made my Top 5 above War and Unforgettable Fire, because although the latter albums have greater highs I find Boy to be more consistent.

As for this poll, I find Out Of Control to be overrated a bit... especially on this forum. Voted instead for the gorgeous The Ocean. An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart is flat out the best song here!

My top five from this era is very clear. In order:

1. 11 O'clock Tick Tock - the UABRS video version is what got me seriously into U2 (alongside Gone and RAH's version of Bad)
2. The Electric Co.
3. Twilight
4. Another Time, Another Place
5. An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart

I love practically all the other songs here and could've chosen almost anything for sixth, or just kept voting for heaps, but in the end I decided to maximise the chances of helping either Twilight or ATAP sneak into the six qualifiers rather than spreading my vote too thin.

Apart from UF, this is U2's best era.

Mine are;

Out Of Control,
Electric Co.
Another Time Another Place
An Cat Dubh (obviously)
11 O'clock tick tock
shadows and tall trees.

Shadows dosn't get enough love, IWF gets way too much.

My top five from this era is very clear. In order:

1. 11 O'clock Tick Tock - the UABRS video version is what got me seriously into U2 (alongside Gone and RAH's version of Bad)
2. The Electric Co.
3. Twilight
4. Another Time, Another Place
5. An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart

I love practically all the other songs here and could've chosen almost anything for sixth, or just kept voting for heaps, but in the end I decided to maximise the chances of helping either Twilight or ATAP sneak into the six qualifiers rather than spreading my vote too thin.

Apart from UF, this is U2's best era.

Agreed regarding UABRS version of tick tock. Edge's chiming guitar has rarely sounded better! And that girls fluffy jumper is wild!

Top 5 are locked in, but it looks like quite a tight battle for that 6th spot.

What's the procedure in case of a tie?

I'm surprised The Fool's not got any votes yet (especially when The Ocean has ten!). Honestly, I prefer it to Street Mission.

What's the procedure in case of a tie?

As long as there is room in the next round, they all go through. The polls are limited to thirty options, so there can't be any ties leading into the grand final, but previous finals should be fine. This case there's no worries at all, because the early eighties quarter final only has sixteen qualifiers - six for Boy and five each for October and War.

If there is no place for tied songs, there will be a tie-breaker vote.

Went with I Will Follow, Twilight, An Cat Dubh, Shadows & Tall Trees, and 11 O'Clock.

A Day Without Me has more votes than Twilight and Another Time Another Place? Come on Interference.

I like A Day Without Me, but I'll be a little bit bummed if it sneaks through ahead of ATAP and especially Twilight.

A Day Without Me has more votes than Twilight and Another Time Another Place? Come on Interference.
I voted both A Day Without Me and Another Time Another Place. A Day Without Me 1983 live versions are so full of energy. I love them: Red Rocks and US Festival in particular.

Back
Top Bottom