Best Song Survivor v2: All That You Can't Leave Behind era

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please select your FAVOURITE song(s)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for your FAVOURITE song(s).
The top SIX songs from this era proceed to the 2000s Semi-Final.

Welcome to the All That You Can't Leave Behind era round in Best Song Survivor v2! The object of this game is to find Interference's favourite U2 songs. Each album will be featured in a single round with the non-album tracks from its era. The amount of finalists from each era is based on seeding from the latest U2 Album Survivor. These rounds will last 48 hours and will be multiple choice polls where you vote for your favourite tracks (within reason). A suggestion is to vote for the amount of tracks that will proceed to the next round, although this is not a hard and fast rule. Remember that there is a tradeoff: if you vote for more songs, the power of each of your votes is dampened, but if you vote for fewer songs, you get to spread your influence less far.

Only original U2 songs with official studio releases will compete. However, you are free to vote on the basis of live versions, alternate versions, remixes, etc., as in the normal version of Survivor. Basically whatever you think best represents the song in your mind.

The nineties semi-final was the most closely fought round so far. Interestingly, although Achtung Baby topped Album Survivor, the top two songs both came from Zooropa. HMTMKMKM has become the second non-album track to reach the grand final, while Your Blue Room came within a place of being a grand finalist; this is the closest a song from Passengers has ever come to the grand final. Also, there were some interesting deviations from voting in album rounds, the most significant of which was the fate of songs from Pop. Discotheque won the Pop round, but did not even come close to becoming a grand finalist while three other songs from Pop did make it.

As a comparison with 2009, the following songs made it to the grand final this time but did not last time: Lemon (came 12th in 2009), Mofo (came 15th), and One (did not qualify for semi-final). The following songs made it last time but did not this time: Acrobat (came 5th in 2009), Love Is Blindness, and Mysterious Ways (both tied for 10th). Also, #1 in 2009's nineties semi was Gone.

(bold = qualified for grand final)
1. Zooropa - 41
2. Stay - 37
3. Until the End of the World - 36
4. The Fly - 35
5. Lemon - 31
=6. Gone - 28
=6. One - 28
=6. Ultra Violet - 28
=9. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me - 27
=9. Mofo - 27
11. Please - 25

=12. Your Blue Room - 24
=12. Love Is Blindness - 24
14. Acrobat - 23
15. Mysterious Ways - 21
16. Do You Feel Loved - 19
17. Discotheque - 16
18. Slug - 15
19. Miss Sarajevo - 12
20. Last Night on Earth - 10
21. Beach Sequence - 7
=22. Staring at the Sun - 6
=22. Dirty Day - 6
24. Numb - 4
=25. Always Forever Now - 2
=25. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car - 2
(Total voters: 56)

The grand finalists so far are:
11 O'clock Tick Tock
The Electric Co.
Gloria
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
A Sort of Homecoming
The Unforgettable Fire
Bad
Where the Streets Have No Name
With or Without You
One Tree Hill
Heartland
All I Want Is You
One
Until the End of the World
The Fly
Ultra Violet
Zooropa
Lemon
Stay
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Mofo
Gone
Please

Thank god that eleventh place didn't turn into a tie, much as I'd have liked Your Blue Room to make the grand final. There's no additional room in the grand final so we'd have had to do some sort of tiebreaker.

As for this round, wow, I am really, really apathetic about this selection of songs. I've only voted for WILATW, The Ground Beneath Her Feet, and Electrical Storm. There are some other songs I enjoy - such as Beautiful Day, Walk On, Kite, Flower Child, Summer Rain - but I'm not passionate enough about their fate to cast a vote in their favour.

Zooropa and Stay beating everything on Achtung :heart: Thank you based Hive

My votes:

Beautiful Day
Kite
When I Look at the World
Ground Beneath Her Feet
Stateless
Electrical Storm

And Ax, can you tack on a vote for Flower Child? I love the Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein performance too much :love:

7 is a lot but I don't care if my votes are meaningless, the whole round is meaningless.

Beautiful Day
Stuck in a Moment (this one has always resonated with me despite the aversion to it here)
Kite
Ground Beneath Her Feet (I'm coming to see this as their best song of this millennium)
Stateless

U2 emerges from the dark days with a gorgeous, confident and inspired explosion of sound. Their first song on their fourth masterpiece, Beautiful Day may not be the best song U2 ever recorded, or even the best song on this record, but it's certainly one of their most important. The song that firmly re-established their "comeback", made them the biggest band of the world, again, won back old fans, gained legions of new ones, and and set the stage and tone for the next ten years. Just how critical that, and this record, song has been to U2's career can't be overstated. It holds a unique place in U2's catalogue.

ATYCLB is great, a Top 5 U2 record for me and it's layered sounds are far superior to the uninspired Bomb. The b-sides from this era range from the boring to the bad, though there are a couple gems in there, flawed as they may be.

The list of songs that progressed from the 90s to finals is utterly glorious.

What a boring era...

Really, just compare the last one to this...

When i think of the 90's for U2 i think of colours, many colours. All the colours.

When i think of the 00's for U2 i think of grey. But not Joy Division grey-like. Just grey.

And Ax, can you tack on a vote for Flower Child? I love the Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein performance too much :love:

Haha, will do. On reflection, the Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein version of Flower Child is a fine moment in U2 history and I should've voted for it too.

I love that two of the top four tracks right now are non-album tracks. Speaks to how much of a dud this album is.

Beautiful Day
Walk On
Kite
Wild Honey
When I Look At The World
New York
Ground Beneath Her Feet
Electrical Storm

NY & WILATW - Underrated

Beautiful Day interesting comments, Nick, on this song
Walk On (the live post 9-11 version for the benifit concert with the choir and their :heart: "halle, halle, halleluia's" )
New York (one of the few songs i definately prefer the recording- the Sonic Dynamics of after Bono has sung in a mild tone to the Wall of Buzzsawing Guitar Sounds/notes that suddenly crash through weren't quite duplicated (let alone improved) in concert
Love You Like Mad
Levitate

sticking with 6 - i had to leave behind Kite.....if i hadn't remembered that particular version...I'd have chosen Kite instead

Beautiful Day
In A Little While

and a vote for Grace :therethere: I've found a new appreciation for it.

TGBHF I find terribly overrated, plus I think it's odd that it counts as original since they didn't write the lyrics.

I like a bunch of these songs a lot, but I only voted for those 3. The first 2 are in my U2 top 10 I think. :hmm:

And come on, somebody vote for Always. We can't have it beaten by that sack of crap Big Girls Are Best.

Beautiful Day
In A Little WHile
New York
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Stateless
Electrical Storm

Not a fan of any of the songs that they left off ATYCLB, I've always thought that Flower Child, Big Girls Are Best and Summer Rain are some of the most boring unoriginal songs they've ever made.

That said, I think the 6 songs I've chosen are as good as anything they've ever done and by and large ATYCLB is a really good record, just for once I can see why they left the b-sides-outtakes off the finished record!

Beautiful Day--Very well put, Nick66. It's a joyous song.
Elevation
Kite
Love You Like Mad
Electrical Storm

Beautiful Day
Walk On
Kite
When I Look At The World
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Electrical Storm

It's the original version of the song. It's not a cover. Pretty simple really. :shrug:

Also, we would all riot if we weren't allowed to vote for TGBHF.

Also, Electrical Storm is winning at the moment. That's kind of... wow (I'm not complaining; I voted for it).

Back
Top Bottom