Best Song Survivor v2: Achtung Baby era

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please select your FAVOURITE song(s)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for your FAVOURITE song(s).
The top SEVEN songs from this era proceed to the Nineties Semi-Final.

Welcome to the Achtung Baby era round in Best Song Survivor v2! The object of this game is to find Interference's favourite U2 songs. Each album will be featured in a single round with the non-album tracks from its era. The amount of finalists from each era is based on seeding from the latest U2 Album Survivor. These rounds will last 48 hours and will be multiple choice polls where you vote for your favourite tracks (within reason). A suggestion is to vote for the amount of tracks that will proceed to the next round, although this is not a hard and fast rule. Remember that there is a tradeoff: if you vote for more songs, the power of each of your votes is dampened, but if you vote for fewer songs, you get to spread your influence less far.

Only original U2 songs with official studio releases will compete. However, you are free to vote on the basis of live versions, alternate versions, remixes, etc., as in the normal version of Survivor. Basically whatever you think best represents the song in your mind.

The late eighties semi came down to the wire, with an excruciatingly close tussle for the last guaranteed finals berth (eighth place) and the potential wildcard slot for ninth. Running to Stand Still put in a valiant attempt for the wildcard, securing 19 votes out of 48, or 39.58% of the vote. Unfortunately, it fell short - both in total votes and percentage - of the early eighties wildcard contender, 11 O'clock Tick Tock, which had won 20 votes out of 47 or 42.55%. RTSS also, incidentally, fell short of the percentage of sixth place in the early eighties round (Out of Control got 19 out of 47, or 40.43%). This means that 11OTT goes through as the sole non-album track so far to make the grand final, and it doesn't even go through as the bottom-ranked seed; Heartland, in eighth place here, actually has a slightly worse percentage.

The eight songs representing the late eighties comprise three songs from the Joshua Tree, three songs from the Unforgettable Fire, and two songs from Rattle and Hum. No non-album tracks. Five of the eight were singles; five (though not entirely the same five) appear on Best Ofs.

(bold = qualified for grand final)
1. Where the Streets Have No Name - 34 votes
2. With or Without You - 32
3. A Sort of Homecoming - 30
=4. Bad - 29
=4. The Unforgettable Fire - 29
6. All I Want Is You - 27
7. One Tree Hill - 21
8. Heartland - 20

9. Running to Stand Still - 19
10. In God's Country - 14
11. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - 13
=12. Exit - 12
=12. Pride - 12
14. Hawkmoon 269 - 11
15. Love Comes Tumbling - 10
=16. God Part II - 9
=16. Promenade - 9
18. Desire - 7
19. Wire - 3
(Total voters: 48)

The eighties grand finalists are thus:
11 O'clock Tick Tock
The Electric Co.
Gloria
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
A Sort of Homecoming
The Unforgettable Fire
Bad
Where the Streets Have No Name
With or Without You
One Tree Hill
Heartland
All I Want Is You

I'm stoked with how well the seeding and wildcard system worked. Even though we have to split up the eighties semi into two rounds, it was still balanced properly and the thirteen songs that received the highest vote - whether you go by total vote or percentage - are the thirteen that made the finals. I feared it might be weighted so that either the early eighties would be disadvantaged and poor performing late eighties stragglers in seventh and eighth would go ahead of popular early songs, or that some good but not wildly beloved early eighties song would make it into fourth while massively adored eighties songs would languish in tenth or eleventh, but the system has reflected the popularity as shown in the votes. Thank god that in the end there wasn't a seventh-ninth place draw in the late eighties round like there threatened to be. That would've been bloody messy to resolve.

I'm also stoked because - unlike Survivor v1 - my top three U2 songs have all advanced: ASOH, One Tree Hill, Heartland. And I didn't even have to rig it. :wink:

Anyway, this round: The Fly, Acrobat, Love Is Blindness, and Lady With the Spinning Head are all top twenty U2 songs for me. Fucking great tracks. I also love Alex Descends Into Hell, and I have long had a soft spot for Where Did It All Go Wrong. So I stuck with those six for my vote. Tracks like Zoo Station and UTEOTW are quality, and MW's live version really deserves a shout-out, but I don't love them enough to spread out my vote, and UTEOTW and MW probably don't need the help.

At the time of this writing, Alex Descends have 3 times the amount of votes that One has.

I'm not saying you guys are mad, but this is mad.
Just sayin'.

At the time of this writing, Alex Descends have 3 times the amount of votes that One has.

I think this is a brilliant stat and I wish it had a hope of being preserved. Alex Descends is a hundred times the song One is.

I'm not saying you guys are mad, but this is mad.
Just sayin'.

atyclbwildhoney.gif

Even Better Than the Real Thing
Until the End of the World
Ultraviolet
The Fly
Lady With the Spinning Head

So tempting to vote for the entire album. :heart:

Real Thing
One
Wild Horses
Mysterious Ways
Ultraviolet
Love Is Blindness

I wanted to vote for The Fly too, but I capped myself at seven votes.

Another difficult choice:
Zoo Station
Wild Horses (Can't forget the "Baby" version)
So Cruel
Blow Your House Down
Lady With the Spinning Head
Heaven and Hell

Umm...question...Isn't Everybody Loves a Winner a cover? I was surprised to see it on the list. Love the song, tho!

Yeah, I guess the understatement is a bit humorous; I should've said a thousand times better. :wink:

I didn't want to reveal whether I agree with you or whether I think you're ridiculous. So I left it at lol. :p

Great bunch of songs here! Was difficult to vote, so I went with certain songs that may not get preference on this forum like Wild Horses and So Cruel.

Zoostation
Who's gonna ride
The Fly
Ultraviolet
Acrobat
Salome

have never heard the songs from Heaven and Hell down so can't make a judgement on those...

Everybody Loves a Winner is a cover? You can tell how much attention I paid to anything on the Achtung reissue that's not Oh Berlin or Down All the Days. Guess I will have to expunge it from the results then. I notice U2Wanderer.org doesn't even credit it as a cover.

I didn't want to reveal whether I agree with you or whether I think you're ridiculous. So I left it at lol. :p

Everybody knows I'm ridiculous, that's no secret!

Everybody Loves a Winner is a cover? You can tell how much attention I paid to anything on the Achtung reissue that's not Oh Berlin or Down All the Days. Guess I will have to expunge it from the results then. I notice U2Wanderer.org doesn't even credit it as a cover.

I can't even remember if it was in Rate the Song or the other Survivor. Regardless, I think your work in expunging it will be nonexistent, because the chances of it getting in the top seven of this round are close to negative infinity.

Oh man, I wanna vote for nearly everything. :sad: I narrowed it down to all of AB, LWTSH, WDIAGW, Salome and Blow Your House Down

Ok, so I voted for way more than I should have:
Even Better...
One
So Cruel
Mysterious Ways
Ultra violet
Love is Blindness
Alex Descends...
Lady...
Down All the Days

And anyone not familiar with the bottom half of the list, please seek them out- Achtung Baby had some wonderful outtakes. The original Heaven and Hell demo from the Salome tapes was especially nice (the rerelease version was...weird).

Everybody Loves a Winner is a cover? You can tell how much attention I paid to anything on the Achtung reissue that's not Oh Berlin or Down All the Days.

:)

What I love about the U2 version is that it made me want to hear the original by William Bell. I love being introduced to and discovering new music. Here's my fave version of the song covered by Linda Ronstadt.
LINDA RONSTADT ~ Everybody Loves A Winner ~ - YouTube

There's also a great version by Delaney and Bonnie but I couldn't find a youtube clip.

I remember the first time I heard Achtung Baby. A friend and I went to a listening party the label was having with a local station, prior to the release. When the first dissonant chords of "Zoo Station" rang out I thought "WTF is this?". Not only did it sound nothing like U2, but it sounded all kinds of distorted..almost industrial. Where was Edge's chiming guitar? Where was the whisper to a scream? Everyone wondered if something was wrong with the sound system. Of course, as I listened to the sound of the Joshua Tree being chopped down and song after song played, I realized we were hearing something new and brilliant, and that for better or worse nothing with this band would ever be the same again.

U2's third best record is also probably their most complete. While it seldom soars (it lacks the highs of TUF or TJT...there's so ASOH or Streets on here), it makes up for it in amazing consistency. It's certainly their most musically accomplished and lyrically cohesive record, and is just strong from start to finish. I've had various "favourite" tracks on this record over the years, but I think the best is probably Zoo Station...after TUF started with "And you know it's time to go" and TJT with "I want to run", with Zoo Station U2 brazenly told us "I'm ready". This wasn't the band who gave us New Year's Day. And while they went on to make at least one song better than anything on AB (MOS), they haven't made a record as good as AB since.

The interesting thing about Achtung Baby is that there weren't nearly as many b-sides from this era and as far as I know every good song they recorded during that time ended up on the record. That is, there really isn't a bad song on AB, they all range from good to great. But every other song from those sessions that didn't end up on the record pretty much sucks.

Zoo Station
One
Until The End Of The World
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
Ultra Violet
Love Is Blindness

Great collection of songs, but not as mindblowing as the late eighties contenders.

I should have just voted for every single song on this list, but that really wouldn't have done much of anything...

So instead, I chose One, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, The Fly, Mysterious Ways, Ultraviolet, Acrobat, Alex Descends, Lady With The Spinning Head, and Oh Berlin.

One
So Cruel
The Fly

My absolute top 4 can't-live-without songs on this list.

These songs are also incredibly amazing songs, but I went back and painfully unclicked them, choosing to only cast votes for my top 4.

Zoo Station
Even Better Than the Real Thing
Mysterious Ways
Ultra Violet
Acrobat
Love is Blindness

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses is a great song too. And Salome deserves a mention with this group as well. Alex Descends... is certainly interesting and unusual, and not bad, but doesn't stand up to the stellar quality of anything I've listed above.

What a fantastic bunch of songs. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom