Best Song Survivor v2: Achtung Baby era

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please select your FAVOURITE song(s)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for your FAVOURITE song(s).
The top SEVEN songs from this era proceed to the 1990s Semi Final.
(Does LWTSH include the Extended Dance Remix? Yes. See the second paragraph below.)

Welcome to the Achtung Baby era round in Best Song Survivor v2! The object of this game is to find Interference's favourite U2 songs. Each album will be featured in a single round with the non-album tracks from its era. The amount of finalists from each era is based on seeding from the latest U2 Album Survivor. These rounds will last 24 hours and will be multiple choice polls where you vote for your favourite tracks (within reason). A suggestion is to vote for the amount of tracks that will proceed to the next round, although this is not a hard and fast rule.

Only original U2 songs with official studio releases will compete. Please vote solely on the basis of studio tracks. Songs with multiple versions will be listed separately; remixes will not, so if you favour a remix over the original song, vote on the basis of your favourite.

The 1980s semi final was a very competitive round, with only Like A Song and Drowning Man well off the pace. Big names like Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday, and I Will Follow failed to make the finals. Interestingly, at the top, With Or Without You polled one vote more than Streets despite being trounced by it in the showdown of Best Song Survivor v1. Of the eighties albums, Boy, October, and War all have one grand finalist; RAH has two; UF has three; and JT has four. Interestingly, RAH is the only album to get its full semi-final representation through to the grand final.

Today, we return to multiple rounds, with Zooropa running simultaneously to this round.

INTERFERENCE'S 1980S RANKING
(Songs in bold qualify for the grand final)
1. With Or Without You - 56 votes
2. Where The Streets Have No Name - 55
3. Bad - 53
4. New Year's Day - 50
=5. A Sort Of Homecoming - 48
=5. All I Want Is You - 48
7. The Unforgettable Fire - 47
8. Running To Stand Still - 46
9. Gloria - 43
10. Heartland - 38
11. One Tree Hill - 37
12. The Electric Co. - 36

13. Pride - 35
14. Sunday Bloody Sunday - 33
=15. Exit - 31
=15. Out Of Control - 31
17. An Cat Dubh - 29
18. I Will Follow - 28
19. Tomorrow - 27
=20. Like A Song - 19
=20. Drowning Man - 19

Well, the top five is easy to choose: Acrobat, Love Is Blindness, Alex Descends, LWTSH, WDIAGW.

Then I was having trouble choosing two out of Zoo Station, UTEOTW, and The Fly, but ... it's Achtung and I don't really care, so I stuck with five. I was listening to this era's tracks last night and as much as ZS, UTEOTW, and The Fly are good songs, they just weren't doing much for me (and the other tracks were even less compelling). Then when I hit the aforementioned five I voted for, suddenly I was into it.

Also, down with One and Ultra Violet.

zoo station, even better than the real thing, the fly, mysterious ways, tryin' to throw your arms around the world, alex descends into hell for a bottle of milk/korova 1, lady with the spinning head

Go LWTSH, go!

I truly cannot comprehend how it didn't make the album. EBTTRT and MW did, and LWTSH kills them both. Twice on Sundays.

Damn. Told myself I'd stick to the 7 but there was no way I was going to leave some of these out. I would have even liked to include MW, WDIAGW, and LWTSH but I stopped at 10. What an era :drool:

Zoo Station
Even Better Than The Real Thing
One
Until The End Of The World
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
So Cruel
The Fly
Love Is Blindness
Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk/Korova 1
Salome

Oh no... I voted for 12 songs :

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, So Cruel, The Fly, Mysterious Ways,
Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World, Ultra Violet, Acrobat, Love Is Blindness,
Salome, Lady With The Spinning Head, Zoo Station, One

Well, the top five is easy to choose: Acrobat, Love Is Blindness, Alex Descends, LWTSH, WDIAGW.

Then I was having trouble choosing two out of Zoo Station, UTEOTW, and The Fly, but ... it's Achtung and I don't really care, so I stuck with five. I was listening to this era's tracks last night and as much as ZS, UTEOTW, and The Fly are good songs, they just weren't doing much for me (and the other tracks were even less compelling). Then when I hit the aforementioned five I voted for, suddenly I was into it.

Also, down with One and Ultra Violet.

WDIAGW? I'm surprised you like that, it's the one song from my favourite U2 era that I think is shit. Like your other choices though.

WDIAGW? I'm surprised you like that, it's the one song from my favourite U2 era that I think is shit. Like your other choices though.

See, I think it's one of the best songs. It's catchy, it's fun, it sounds cool ... beats most of the album really. I don't get the lack of love for it.

Uh yeah...
Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
Ultra Violet
Acrobat
Love Is Blindness
Lady With The Spinning Head

Can you tell I like this album?

Uh yeah...
Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
Ultra Violet
Acrobat
Love Is Blindness
Lady With The Spinning Head

Can you tell I like this album?

Where's So Cruel??! :scream: :sad:

:reject: Well, it says favourite songs. So Cruel isn't one of my favourites. It's a good song yes, but only if I'm in the right mood for it. If I'm happy or hyperactive, I can't stand it.

:wink: it's ok. It actually took a few years for it to happen, but it went from a song I really didn't think much about to one of my favorites on the album, so I couldn't help notice it's absence.

Zoo Station, One, UTEOTW, Horses, The Fly, Mysterious Ways, Ultra Violet, Acrobat, Love Is Blindness and Lady With The Spinning Head.

Zoo Station
So Cruel
The Fly

So cruel is by a long "eternity distance" the best song on Achtung.Bono at his very best lyrics wise.

wow One is in 10th place at the moment.

we need people to vote and keep this alltime U2 classic song around

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom