Best Song Survivor: Pop, Round Six

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The live versions are the best way to listen to U2. If it weren't for the audio rips of the concert DVD's and high quality bootlegs I'd probably wouldn't be listening to U2 at all. There are a handful, a small handful, of U2 songs where the studio versions are better, but for the most part U2's music just takes off live in way that few other bands do. These songs were just meant to be experienced live. I've gotten used to hearing some of these songs live so much that when I go back to the studio versions I'm shocked how incomplete and lifeless they sound, comparatively speaking.

I'm another of the few, I guess. While I am of the opinion that the definitive versions of many of their songs are the live ones, I also believe that they have plenty of songs for which the studio version was never topped - New Year's Day, Pride, With Or Without You, All I Want Is You, One, Mysterious Ways, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me are perfection in the studio, imo.

Now, these days I mainly just listen to studio versions (as opposed to in the past when I was a bootleg junkie), but the two I've underlined I just can't agree with. I'll go out of my way to listen to a live WOWY from 1987-92 because of Edge's live solo and the fact it actually has the song's proper ending, Shine Like Stars. Without that, well, studio WOWY just peters out into nothing.

And HMTMKMKM? I can't even remember the last time I played the studio version rather than the 31 July 1997, Mannheim version. That performance makes the studio version completely redundant (even if most others don't), and I can't believe U2 never released it.

The Joshua Tree is a superior album to Pop. That's about as non-debatable as non-debatable gets. No serious U2 fan would suggest otherwise, even if that person was a Pop fan. So in your case, if you think Joshua Tree is superior Pop, and someone else says the opposite, your opinion does mean more than that persons.

Whether Pop is a good album is debatable. Whether it's superior to Joshua Tree is not.

This post is moronic. If somebody thinks Pop is a better album than JT, that's their taste. Why do you care so much about telling them that their opinion is inferior to somebody who prefers JT? Are your tastes and ego that fragile that you need to talk down other peoples' tastes?

(I say this despite sympathising with NSW, in that I really struggle to grasp a perspective that places Pop above JT. But clearly some people rate Pop higher, and good for them; whatever suits their tastes really.)

The live versions are the best way to listen to U2. If it weren't for the audio rips of the concert DVD's and high quality bootlegs I'd probably wouldn't be listening to U2 at all. There are a handful, a small handful, of U2 songs where the studio versions are better, but for the most part U2's music just takes off live in way that few other bands do. These songs were just meant to be experienced live. I've gotten used to hearing some of these songs live so much that when I go back to the studio versions I'm shocked how incomplete and lifeless they sound, comparatively speaking.

... however, I largely agree with this.

I should clarify my comment earlier in this post, in that I mainly listen to studio versions nowadays in large part because one of my friends currently has most of my bootleg collection, so I mainly just have the studio albums and a handful of my favourite live versions. Plus I kind of burned out on live bootlegs and U2 in general for a while there. It's only been in the last six months that I've started listening to them regularly again.

The Joshua Tree has been generally my second favourite U2 album, but I am very indifferent to tracks 8 to 10 on the album, whereas I don't experience any lulls when listening to PoP.

It brings me to question whether JT is vulnerable in that number two slot, maybe one day I will prefer PoP overall? We'll see.

It's pretty much a coin flip. I concede that JT is their "best" album (their most consistent and well produced), and 2nd overall for me, but in my rankings it's sandwiched between two albums I like equally/more, the two 90s albums.

I would say that the lads did Pop 10 years before anyone else knew how to understand them.

And as for Please, that was one of the album tracks that really sounded unfinished on the album. It didn't take on a life of it's own until the end of the first American leg. Actually, I'd say that the best version of Please is the instrumental version recorded during rehearsals for the 97 VMAs. It's floating around Youtube, and I'd give it a listen if I were you.

While not as pronounced a phenomena as it is at the Random Music threads, around here the general rule is the less accessible a song is, the higher its rating; the inverse being true for more accessible songs.

Bonus points if it's relatively obscure. Points are also added if it was played on that last tour, but only if that song wasn't a single or part of the regular set list. Points are taken away if it was a single or enjoyed a degree of popularity outside of U2 hard core fandom.

Once these factors are taken into account, then the songs relative musical quality is considered (if at all).

So far, the following round consists of the following songs:

The Unforgettable Fire
Where the Streets Have No Name
New Year's Day
Bad
With or Without You

Four were released as singles. Three of the songs are among U2's best known, including one of their two number-one singles in the United States. Some people would say that Bad is also among U2's best known songs, increasing that number to four as well. The Unforgettable Fire isn't terribly well known, but I expect that you and I share an extremely high opinion of the song.

... and every single one of them is on the Best Of 1980-1990.

The variable that isn't even contemplated by those ignorant few stating that JT > Pop is undebateable fact is that there is a significant proprtion of the music-listening community that HATE U2. Not just dislike, but HATE. In their opinions, they are equally terrible.

The ground you tread regarding which album is superior is so ridiculously subjective that it is pointless trying to justify / validate / explain anyones statements regarding their opinion with anything more than 'your opinion is interesting to me / your opinion differs from mine / your opinion is the same as mine'.

I hate Bob Dylan? I don't see how anyone can listen to his music and not cringe. I love his lyrics, he is a true poet / wordsmith whatever, but the moment I hear one of his songs, I rush to the off button. His voice offends me. I would never tell anyone who rates 'Blonde on Blonde' higher than 'The unforgettable Fire' that they are 'wrong;. You are a f*&king moron if you think that you can.

musically-oblivious-8th-grader-meme-generator-u2-do-i-whaa-beffbe.jpg

She has better taste in U2 than any of us.

Why do you think that certain songs, like Pride, were voted out of this competition relatively early? Do you think it's because it's an inferior song? Or because people were basing it off of shit live versions that have jaded them?

I don't think Pride was that popular even as a studio song here. It certainly isn't in my mind. So yes, I still think that the majority of people judge the studio version on its own merits. And it was beaten by three amazing songs that I feel are better no matter what their live counterparts sound.

I'm another of the few, I guess. While I am of the opinion that the definitive versions of many of their songs are the live ones, I also believe that they have plenty of songs for which the studio version was never topped - New Year's Day, Pride, With Or Without You, All I Want Is You, One, Mysterious Ways, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me are perfection in the studio, imo.

Mysterious Ways? The album version is basically like a raw demo to me. Without the slide guitar solo and Bono's falsetto in the end, it's like listening to half a song. And I love all the versions except for the dreadful 360 one.

So far, the following round consists of the following songs:

The Unforgettable Fire
Where the Streets Have No Name
New Year's Day
Bad
With or Without You

Four were released as singles. Three of the songs are among U2's best known, including one of their two number-one singles in the United States. Some people would say that Bad is also among U2's best known songs, increasing that number to four as well. The Unforgettable Fire isn't terribly well known, but I expect that you and I share an extremely high opinion of the song.

Indeed. This is just a testament to the brilliance of these songs...i.e., being strong enough to overcome the other factors I mentioned which weigh against them in the voting.

We are in agreement on our very high opinion of TUF.

I don't think Pride was that popular even as a studio song here. It certainly isn't in my mind. So yes, I still think that the majority of people judge the studio version on its own merits. And it was beaten by three amazing songs that I feel are better no matter what their live counterparts sound.

Yeah. Okay. Keep telling yourself that people here don't judge it based on live versions. I suppose I should go back and read those threads just to get some accurate quotes on this. Almost certain I read "I like the studio version, but I'd be fine never hearing it again because they've played it into the ground live" multiple times for multiple songs.

Unfortunately you're missing the point.

The point is that people don't rate the studio version differently based on the live versions. Some people do rate the song in general on the basis of everything, myself included. I could never rate something like Bullet without considering the ZooTV version. But if a live version is inferior, that certainly doesn't diminish the studio version in my mind, and I think this is what the majority feels as well. Others rate a song on the basis on the studio version alone. Both ways are legitimate as far as I am concerned.

Nice try, but there's no contradiction there.

It is legitimate to rate a song based on its studio version. This doesn't mean that somebody ignores the live versions, as you do. It just means that somebody prefers to rate the studio version in such a competition.

It is ludicrous - to me - to completely ignore the U2 live versions in general, which has nothing to do with how one rates a song on a silly Internet game. There are people here who love to listen to live U2, but decide to rate only the studio version based on principle.

So, like, when you want to introduce your friends to U2, and they ask you to make them a mix cd, do you mix studio and live? Do you like the chop when it goes from silent studio to super quiet, non-mastered live recording crowd? Do the moments of rawness and adlib make up for the poor audio quality of most of the live material? I found they didn't. So I'll stick to listening to U2 live when I see them live. Or, every once in awhile, on a commercially released live album. The funny thing is that most of the commercially released live material isn't even the best of the live versions of songs. For me, simple examples of that are Gloria, I Fill Follow, Sunday Bloody Sunday, The Electric Co., and New Year's Day from Under A Blood Red Sky.

Live material, overall is just not for me. I think it's ludicrous that a U2 fan would base their judgement of a song even equally live as studio. I tend to think casual U2 fans would agree with me on this. The small sample size of interference, however, are a bit more than casual U2 fans. I used to be a super U2 fan. I've become a casual U2 fan over the last decade. Maybe even less than that. I don't care for live recordings. I may listen to a live recording once for every twenty times I listen to its counterpart in the studio. If that. And I probably only listen to each U2 song 5-10 times in a year.

Anyway, you think I'm ludicrous for what I like. I think you're ludicrous for thinking I'm ludicrous.

I don't think you're ludicrous, I think your stance on that particular thing is. No insults intended. And it is important to make the distinction that I don't think somebody's opinion on live U2 being inferior to studio is ludicrous, but not even giving it a chance at all is something I do find asinine. It seems to me from your last post that you were somewhat hyperbolic before and that you just haven't been impressed by the live recordings, which is a different story altogether.

I do mixes of studio and live, yes. There couldn't be something as irrelevant and nitpicky as this "chop" you speak of in my mind. But what we do have in common is that I don't listen to U2 that much anymore.

I have converted people on concerts like Dublin 1993 and Leeds 1997, which are of superb quality. A friend of mine still listens to live U2 most of the time he listens to the band and he couldn't be more casual. There is a rawness and energy to their live recordings that is missing most of the time on the studio recordings. Since I'm generally a fan of heavier rock music (and coincidentally this friend I have in mind is as well), this is what has always attracted me to U2's music the most.

I will say this of live recordings: if U2 ever released analog mastered, soundboard quality recordings of the Lovetown shows, I'd probably listen to them more often than I listen to current live U2 recordings.

Oh, and nobody that I know in real life listens to live U2 ever. At least not that I know of. Well, except for the videos - but I pretty much never watch concert videos either.

There are some great quality Lovetown shows already out there. One of them was indeed officially released in digital form: Live from the Point Depot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hell, there are some bootlegs (not for U2 specifically) that sound better than the officially released live albums.

Oh, and nobody that I know in real life listens to live U2 ever. At least not that I know of. Well, except for the videos - but I pretty much never watch concert videos either.

So they do listen to live U2 more than you do. ;) Good for them I say.

There are some great quality Lovetown shows already out there. One of them was indeed officially released in digital form: Live from the Point Depot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've listened to many of the lovetown boots. I was less than impressed with the quality. As for the Point Depot recording you referred me to, that was never released in lossless. I pretty much don't listen to anything unless it's in lossless these days.

Mysterious Ways? The album version is basically like a raw demo to me. Without the slide guitar solo and Bono's falsetto in the end, it's like listening to half a song. And I love all the versions except for the dreadful 360 one.

The extended solo and the falsetto(the 'spirit move with it') stuff is great, but on the studio version, the verses have this beautiful melody, and it's always bugged me that Bono never fully sings that melody live, but rather kind of half-sing-half-speaks it. Does that make sense?

I've listened to many of the lovetown boots. I was less than impressed with the quality. As for the Point Depot recording you referred me to, that was never released in lossless. I pretty much don't listen to anything unless it's in lossless these days.

Beggars can't be choosers.

That Point Depot recording from the Complete U2 is difficult to get ahold of now, since the Complete U2 no longer exists(and even when it did, the show was album only meaning you had to shell out the money for all the albums you already had just to get it). If anyone has it, I'd love to have it. I started a request thread in 'Music On The Internet' days ago but got no response. Though it should be noted that the AIWIY in that show is, for some reason, abbreviated, and is less than two minutes long.

Probably > 80% of the time I listen to U2, I listen to their live stuff. Larry was right: live is where they live.

That Point Depot recording from the Complete U2 is difficult to get ahold of now, since the Complete U2 no longer exists(and even when it did, the show was album only meaning you had to shell out the money for all the albums you already had just to get it). If anyone has it, I'd love to have it. I started a request thread in 'Music On The Internet' days ago but got no response. Though it should be noted that the AIWIY in that show is, for some reason, abbreviated, and is less than two minutes long.

Yeah, it only ever existed, officially, as a crappy DRM iTunes download...and 128kbps at that. Unless you bought The Complete U2, you've got a crappy lossy encode of a crappy lossy encode. In that case, it wouldn't take much to hear a diff in sound quality between that and lossless. I do have it, but to be honest it's not a much better listening experience overall than the readily available boot of that show.

On this lossless thing, the vast, vast majority of the population, even so-called audiophiles who insist they can tell the difference, actually can't tell the difference between a high quality (256kbps or better) MP3 or AAC file and a lossless one in A/B tests. Most people can't tell the diff at 192kbps for that matter. A simple Google search will show this has been demonstrated again, and again, and again. The best most people get starting at 192 is 50%...which is what you'd just get from guessing between two samples anyway. That's just a fact. That won't stop people from insisting that they are among the tiny percent of the population gifted with the right ears and right equipment from insisting they can tell the difference. And indeed, a small percent of the population can, given the right sample and equipment, or someone who has very good ears and knows what to listen for. But anyone who says they can tell the difference without doing a genuine, A/B blind test is fooling themselves.

Don't get me wrong...I have a lossless (ALAC) backup of all my music, which I then re-encode to 256kbps AAC. But I won't pretend I can tell the difference. So if you're avoiding live U2 because you'll only listen to lossless music, you're missing a lot of great stuff. In any event, there's a lot of live U2 available in mastered, lossless quality from the concert DVD's. And it's not like all the studio U2 records are reference-qaulity masters...look at Bomb, which is brickwalled to hell and sounds like shit.

Probably > 80% of the time I listen to U2, I listen to their live stuff. Larry was right: live is where they live.

More like 90%+ in my case. Larry is right (of course). And when I do vote (only in the close ones), I deliberately make the choice to vote for the studio version, even if I may prefer the live version. Others have their own criteria.

Back
Top Bottom