Best Song Survivor: Pop, Round Six - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: What is your least favorite song?
Discothèque 1 2.00%
Do You Feel Loved 3 6.00%
Mofo 1 2.00%
Staring at the Sun 27 54.00%
Last Night on Earth 11 22.00%
Gone 2 4.00%
Please 5 10.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:37 AM
The live versions are the best way to listen to U2. If it weren't for the audio rips of the concert DVD's and high quality bootlegs I'd probably wouldn't be listening to U2 at all. There are a handful, a small handful, of U2 songs where the studio versions are better, but for the most part U2's music just takes off live in way that few other bands do. These songs were just meant to be experienced live. I've gotten used to hearing some of these songs live so much that when I go back to the studio versions I'm shocked how incomplete and lifeless they sound, comparatively speaking.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #92
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
I'm another of the few, I guess. While I am of the opinion that the definitive versions of many of their songs are the live ones, I also believe that they have plenty of songs for which the studio version was never topped - New Year's Day, Pride, With Or Without You, All I Want Is You, One, Mysterious Ways, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me are perfection in the studio, imo.
Now, these days I mainly just listen to studio versions (as opposed to in the past when I was a bootleg junkie), but the two I've underlined I just can't agree with. I'll go out of my way to listen to a live WOWY from 1987-92 because of Edge's live solo and the fact it actually has the song's proper ending, Shine Like Stars. Without that, well, studio WOWY just peters out into nothing.

And HMTMKMKM? I can't even remember the last time I played the studio version rather than the 31 July 1997, Mannheim version. That performance makes the studio version completely redundant (even if most others don't), and I can't believe U2 never released it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
The Joshua Tree is a superior album to Pop. That's about as non-debatable as non-debatable gets. No serious U2 fan would suggest otherwise, even if that person was a Pop fan. So in your case, if you think Joshua Tree is superior Pop, and someone else says the opposite, your opinion does mean more than that persons.

Whether Pop is a good album is debatable. Whether it's superior to Joshua Tree is not.
This post is moronic. If somebody thinks Pop is a better album than JT, that's their taste. Why do you care so much about telling them that their opinion is inferior to somebody who prefers JT? Are your tastes and ego that fragile that you need to talk down other peoples' tastes?

(I say this despite sympathising with NSW, in that I really struggle to grasp a perspective that places Pop above JT. But clearly some people rate Pop higher, and good for them; whatever suits their tastes really.)

Quote:
The live versions are the best way to listen to U2. If it weren't for the audio rips of the concert DVD's and high quality bootlegs I'd probably wouldn't be listening to U2 at all. There are a handful, a small handful, of U2 songs where the studio versions are better, but for the most part U2's music just takes off live in way that few other bands do. These songs were just meant to be experienced live. I've gotten used to hearing some of these songs live so much that when I go back to the studio versions I'm shocked how incomplete and lifeless they sound, comparatively speaking.
... however, I largely agree with this.

I should clarify my comment earlier in this post, in that I mainly listen to studio versions nowadays in large part because one of my friends currently has most of my bootleg collection, so I mainly just have the studio albums and a handful of my favourite live versions. Plus I kind of burned out on live bootlegs and U2 in general for a while there. It's only been in the last six months that I've started listening to them regularly again.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #93
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

The Joshua Tree has been generally my second favourite U2 album, but I am very indifferent to tracks 8 to 10 on the album, whereas I don't experience any lulls when listening to PoP.

It brings me to question whether JT is vulnerable in that number two slot, maybe one day I will prefer PoP overall? We'll see.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #94
The Male

Local Time: 03:37 AM
It's pretty much a coin flip. I concede that JT is their "best" album (their most consistent and well produced), and 2nd overall for me, but in my rankings it's sandwiched between two albums I like equally/more, the two 90s albums.

Now.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #95
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:37 AM
I would say that the lads did Pop 10 years before anyone else knew how to understand them.

And as for Please, that was one of the album tracks that really sounded unfinished on the album. It didn't take on a life of it's own until the end of the first American leg. Actually, I'd say that the best version of Please is the instrumental version recorded during rehearsals for the 97 VMAs. It's floating around Youtube, and I'd give it a listen if I were you.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #96
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:37 AM
Quote:
While not as pronounced a phenomena as it is at the Random Music threads, around here the general rule is the less accessible a song is, the higher its rating; the inverse being true for more accessible songs.

Bonus points if it's relatively obscure. Points are also added if it was played on that last tour, but only if that song wasn't a single or part of the regular set list. Points are taken away if it was a single or enjoyed a degree of popularity outside of U2 hard core fandom.

Once these factors are taken into account, then the songs relative musical quality is considered (if at all).
So far, the following round consists of the following songs:

The Unforgettable Fire
Where the Streets Have No Name
New Year's Day
Bad
With or Without You

Four were released as singles. Three of the songs are among U2's best known, including one of their two number-one singles in the United States. Some people would say that Bad is also among U2's best known songs, increasing that number to four as well. The Unforgettable Fire isn't terribly well known, but I expect that you and I share an extremely high opinion of the song.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #97
Vocal parasite

... and every single one of them is on the Best Of 1980-1990.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #98
ONE
love, blood, life

The variable that isn't even contemplated by those ignorant few stating that JT > Pop is undebateable fact is that there is a significant proprtion of the music-listening community that HATE U2. Not just dislike, but HATE. In their opinions, they are equally terrible.

The ground you tread regarding which album is superior is so ridiculously subjective that it is pointless trying to justify / validate / explain anyones statements regarding their opinion with anything more than 'your opinion is interesting to me / your opinion differs from mine / your opinion is the same as mine'.

I hate Bob Dylan? I don't see how anyone can listen to his music and not cringe. I love his lyrics, he is a true poet / wordsmith whatever, but the moment I hear one of his songs, I rush to the off button. His voice offends me. I would never tell anyone who rates 'Blonde on Blonde' higher than 'The unforgettable Fire' that they are 'wrong;. You are a f*&king moron if you think that you can.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #99
The Male

She has better taste in U2 than any of us.

Now.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #100
Refugee

Local Time: 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by popacrobat View Post
Discotheque should totally advance. bad job if you guys vote it off.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:23 AM   #101
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
... and every single one of them is on the Best Of 1980-1990.
Yup. And TUF is rather well known here, in fact it's one of the more popular tracks in my country, so I can imagine it also would be around Europe.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 01-16-2013, 06:12 AM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Why do you think that certain songs, like Pride, were voted out of this competition relatively early? Do you think it's because it's an inferior song? Or because people were basing it off of shit live versions that have jaded them?
I don't think Pride was that popular even as a studio song here. It certainly isn't in my mind. So yes, I still think that the majority of people judge the studio version on its own merits. And it was beaten by three amazing songs that I feel are better no matter what their live counterparts sound.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:16 AM   #103
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
I'm another of the few, I guess. While I am of the opinion that the definitive versions of many of their songs are the live ones, I also believe that they have plenty of songs for which the studio version was never topped - New Year's Day, Pride, With Or Without You, All I Want Is You, One, Mysterious Ways, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me are perfection in the studio, imo.
Mysterious Ways? The album version is basically like a raw demo to me. Without the slide guitar solo and Bono's falsetto in the end, it's like listening to half a song. And I love all the versions except for the dreadful 360 one.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
So far, the following round consists of the following songs:

The Unforgettable Fire
Where the Streets Have No Name
New Year's Day
Bad
With or Without You

Four were released as singles. Three of the songs are among U2's best known, including one of their two number-one singles in the United States. Some people would say that Bad is also among U2's best known songs, increasing that number to four as well. The Unforgettable Fire isn't terribly well known, but I expect that you and I share an extremely high opinion of the song.
Indeed. This is just a testament to the brilliance of these songs...i.e., being strong enough to overcome the other factors I mentioned which weigh against them in the voting.

We are in agreement on our very high opinion of TUF.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
I don't think Pride was that popular even as a studio song here. It certainly isn't in my mind. So yes, I still think that the majority of people judge the studio version on its own merits. And it was beaten by three amazing songs that I feel are better no matter what their live counterparts sound.
Yeah. Okay. Keep telling yourself that people here don't judge it based on live versions. I suppose I should go back and read those threads just to get some accurate quotes on this. Almost certain I read "I like the studio version, but I'd be fine never hearing it again because they've played it into the ground live" multiple times for multiple songs.