Best Song Survivor: Pop, Round One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Discothèque

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do You Feel Loved

• Mofo

• Gone

• Please

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
After everything, Interference returned the most predictable possible result for Original Soundtracks 1, but not without a fight. Your Blue Room and Miss Sarajevo shall pass on to the 1990s quarterfinal round, with Slug having been just barely defeated. For comparison's sake, here are the results of the top seven OS1 tracks from the gradual elimination (voting for least favorites) method:

1) Your Blue Room (I'm assuming that it beats out Miss Sarajevo based on the result of the last poll)
2) Miss Sarajevo
3) Slug
4) Always Forever Now
5) Beach Sequence
6) Theme from Let's Go Native
7) Elvis Ate America

And here they are from the voting-for-favorites method:
1) Your Blue Room
2) Miss Sarajevo
3) Slug
4) Beach Sequence
5) Always Forever Now
6) Theme from Let's Go Native
7) Elvush Ate America

What an enormous difference.

Anyway, let's now move to Pop. Pop has twelve songs, and it shall send three songs onto the 1990s quarterfinal. You have 24 hours to vote for your least favorite song, the next song to be eliminated from this contest. For anyone just joining us, rules may be found here.

This album is tough for me. I think that Discothèque, Mofo, Staring at the Sun, and Please all deserve to advance. I guess my least favorite of the three is Discothèque, but it pains me to say that, because I love the song.

My prediction, however, is that Mofo, Please, and Gone will make it through.

Toss-up between The Playboy Mansion and IYWTVD for me. After a quick listen, I'm choosing the later I think...

IYWTVD has always been my least favorite song from that album.

Why only three to the quarters from Pop when AB sent four?

Anyhow, the knockout rounds of Pop are going to be a nasty, down-and-dirty brawl. Once we get rid of Miami and Playboy Mansion, good luck figuring out the order.

The two I hope advance are Gone and Mofo. As for the third, I can't decide whether it should be LNOE, Dead Man, or Velvet Dress.

It must also be said that this whole album has not shown it's age at all.

If You Wear gets a pass for me at least for the first round, because the intro is sex on a stick.

.... that might give it a pass for a few more rounds.

Maybe. We'll see.

Staring at the Sun has always been my least favourite on this album, though I won't mind if Playboy Mansion goes, that'd be my next vote.

Just hope Miami sticks around for a bit.

Unpopular opinion: the second half is better than the first.

Last Night on Earth for me. Not that it matters since PM will get the popular boot here. There was a time I would have joined in that but I've found some appreciation for it over the years, where LNOE has never done much for me.

Miami was not bad live, but by god that studio version is atrocious. Even when taking the live improvement into account, I think it's probably still worse than Playboy Mansion. Don't really care which dies first though.

I definitely want Gone and LNOE to advance. As for the third position? Toss-up between DYFL, Mofo, and Please.

Man, this Pop round 1 just isn't living up to past ones.

Miami is fucking hilarious but it isn't exactly good. Playboy Mansion is somewhere in the middle for me. I'll never understand what the problem is with it.

Miami was not bad live, but by god that studio version is atrocious. Even when taking the live improvement into account, I think it's probably still worse than Playboy Mansion. Don't really care which dies first though.

I definitely want Gone and LNOE to advance. As for the third position? Toss-up between DYFL, Mofo, and Please.

This more or less sums up my thinking on this whole slap-a-dap-a-jamboree.

If God ... and Playboy Mansion are probably the 2 worst songs they ever committed to record as U2.
At least the end bit of Playboy Mansion is somewhat pleasing.

Meant to vote for Miami, accidentally voted for Playboy Mansion. That would have been my second vote anyway, so I don't really care either way.

Meant to vote for Miami, accidentally voted for Playboy Mansion. That would have been my second vote anyway, so I don't really care either way.

Since this is somewhat close, do you want me to change your vote? (I'm guessing not.)

Your Blue Room is superior to Miss Sarajevo. Can that be considered a sure thing now?

I would dearly love to see Discotheque, Do You Feel Loved and Please progress, unlikely it may be.

Playboy Mansion to go, and I really want Miami to stick around for at least 3 or 4 rounds

I'd love it if Mofo and Gone went through, judging from the past that should be possible.]

For now, Heff takes the chop for me.

And The Playboy Mansion continues to be vastly underrated by the interference public!

a$$h0les, really, i love the Playboy Mansion - it's a gorgeous little song! :tsk:

If God ... and Playboy Mansion are probably the 2 worst songs they ever committed to record as U2.
At least the end bit of Playboy Mansion is somewhat pleasing.

both probably up there in my top 10 all-time fave U2 songs :D

Ranking this album:

01. Wake Up Dead Man
02. If You Wear That Velvet Dress
03. Last Night On Earth
04. Gone
05. Do You Feel Loved
06. Discotheque
07. Mofo
08. The Playboy Mansion
09. Staring At The Sun
10. Miami
11. Please
12. If God Will Send His Angels

Wow, I actually like Playboy Mansion. I've surprised myself! Just went back to listen to the song. Haven't heard it in forever. Again, poignant lyrics. Very simple but, very deep. So, Miami it is.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom