Best Song Survivor: Original Soundtracks 1 Round Three

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tough choice here. It's a head scratcher seeing the votes so far. I'm surprised there's so many votes for MS and Beach Sequence. MS was a klunker on 360, but was spine tingling on Vertigo. It was possibly the first rarity played live that made waves around the world online. The song was one thing, but the opera part was unreal. Anyone who was here when it first played in Italy said HOLY SHIT!

If you say you didn't, then you full o'shit. :wink:

You mean The Netherlands, right? :wink: It was premiered in Amsterdam, after all.

You mean The Netherlands, right? :wink: It was premiered in Amsterdam, after all.

Doh! You're right. I stand corrected :)

Italy was the first of the firsts, but not the one I was trying to reference. Sarajevo was the second of the firsts, but I wasn't referencing that either (although it was a big surprise, it was subpar). Amsterdam was the third first, which sent blue crack into overdrive.

(This sounds like that scene in Ratte and Hum where Bono's explaining to Edge to come in not on the first verse of the first verse, not the second verse of the first verse, but the third verse... Or sumpthin)

Man what the hell, Miss Sarajevo is on the chopping block? :ohmy: Interf, wtf? The Hive should love that song, it's been played on the last tour, after all.

You have to remember that the song was played a lot on 360, so therefore it's overrated/overplayed/sucks. :D

MS was a klunker on 360, but was spine tingling on Vertigo. It was possibly the first rarity played live that made waves around the world online. The song was one thing, but the opera part was unreal. Anyone who was here when it first played in Italy said HOLY SHIT!

I definitely enjoyed the Vertigo version more than 360. I'm not sure if it had to do with not knowing at the time that Bono would nail the opera part, but it was a pretty nice surprise back in '05.

Sooo you meant the Modena gig then? :wink:

Well, that's where it was first played live but the Internetz wasn't available to go crazy on yet. I don't know if it would've been a big deal back then with Pavarotti singing his own part. So I was wrong.

For some reason I pictured it being in Italy for Vertigo. Maybe they played Italy around that time? Or... Maybe I'm thinking of OOOOTS, which had the orchestra in Italy? Shit... It's all mixed together in my head now.

Remember when they played Slug live in Uzbekistan?

:wink:

I definitely enjoyed the Vertigo version more than 360. I'm not sure if it had to do with not knowing at the time that Bono would nail the opera part, but it was a pretty nice surprise back in '05.

Yeah, 360 MS was a snoozefest. I'd rather have heard IALW :doh:

The Vertigo MS was electric the first few times because it was astonishing that Bono could hit the opera part like he did. It carried buzz for the rest of the tour just to see if he could keep doing it.

Well, that's where it was first played live but the Internetz wasn't available to go crazy on yet. I don't know if it would've been a big deal back then with Pavarotti singing his own part. So I was wrong.

For some reason I pictured it being in Italy for Vertigo. Maybe they played Italy around that time? Or... Maybe I'm thinking of OOOOTS, which had the orchestra in Italy? Shit... It's all mixed together in my head now.

Remember when they played Slug live in Uzbekistan?

:wink:

2 shows later, milano. ;)

It's funny to think back on just how exciting and out-of-the-blue Miss Sarajevo's live appearance in 2005 was. Now, I'll be honest and say I'm a little bored of it live. Miss Sarajevo to me ended up being more of a novelty, "how will the operatic bit go tonight?", rather than a song to eagerly await every show - Your Blue Room, on the other hand, I'd have been very happy if it had become a regular (especially if they hadn't tried to squeeze in that space bullshit and if they had let Adam do his verse).

And I've firmly maintained for quite some time that Beach Sequence would be a great Passengers song to bring out live as an intro to New Year's Day, much like October used to be. It'd be a massive treat for the fanatics without putting off the casuals, who probably wouldn't even realise it's another song (like some performances of Scarlet).

How the heck did Beach Sequence get 12 consecutive votes overnight? It was tied on 8 with Sarajevo last time I checked.

It's funny to think back on just how exciting and out-of-the-blue Miss Sarajevo's live appearance in 2005 was. Now, I'll be honest and say I'm a little bored of it live. Miss Sarajevo to me ended up being more of a novelty, "how will the operatic bit go tonight?", rather than a song to eagerly await every show - Your Blue Room, on the other hand, I'd have been very happy if it had become a regular (especially if they hadn't tried to squeeze in that space bullshit and if they had let Adam do his verse).

360 had quite a few exciting mid- tour blow- up moments on it with Electrical Storm, Mercy, Zooropa, YBR and EBTTRT. (I'm probably missing a few).

Vertigo's blow- up was Miss Sarajevo. Were there any others?

360 had quite a few exciting mid- tour blow- up moments on it with Electrical Storm, Mercy, Zooropa, YBR and EBTTRT. (I'm probably missing a few).

Vertigo's blow- up was Miss Sarajevo. Were there any others?

I think The First Time and The Ocean really took people by surprise when they debuted, and Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses was completely out of nowhere. I understand rumours of Wild Horses were circulating on the Internet on the day, as it was heard in soundcheck - I was actually at the show and didn't hear the soundcheck, so I had no idea there was even an inkling it might be played.

There was some build-up to Discotheque, as we knew it was being soundchecked in Toronto prior to its appearance in Chicago, so I guess that wouldn't count?

It's funny to think back on just how exciting and out-of-the-blue Miss Sarajevo's live appearance in 2005 was. Now, I'll be honest and say I'm a little bored of it live. Miss Sarajevo to me ended up being more of a novelty, "how will the operatic bit go tonight?", rather than a song to eagerly await every show -

ah yup. It got a huge response at the shows I saw, but every night I was praying they'd play Running to Stand Still instead.

I think The First Time and The Ocean really took people by surprise when they debuted, and Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses was completely out of nowhere. I understand rumours of Wild Horses were circulating on the Internet on the day, as it was heard in soundcheck - I was actually at the show and didn't hear the soundcheck, so I had no idea there was even an inkling it might be played.

There was some build-up to Discotheque, as we knew it was being soundchecked in Toronto prior to its appearance in Chicago, so I guess that wouldn't count?

Ah yes, The First Time was a surprise. Especially that it took Zoo Station's place and opened the encore. Poor choice in my opinion. Discotheque was pretty big as well, I forgot about that. I think if MOFO was actually played, it may rival or surpass the Zooropa meltdown.

ah yup. It got a huge response at the shows I saw, but every night I was praying they'd play Running to Stand Still instead.

RTSS was consistently very good, MS was decent throughout but had the amazing 10 second spike of novelty. After the first 2 times seeing MS, I'd had enough. The song itself is pretty boring and trying to explain to my friends to hang in and not go for beer because there's a really good payoff got old quick.

RTSS was nice on Vertigo but much better on ZooTV.

Yeah, what you guys said about Miss Sarajevo vs RTSS. I really wish they'd rotated them, at least in cities with multiple shows, rather than outright ditching RTSS.

Oh, and if Mofo ever gets played live again, this forum will pretty much spontaneously combust. I remember also the anticipation about the band rehearsing Lemon and Daddy's Gonna Pay - response would've been pretty big if those had shown up. The band, unbeknownst to Interference at the time, were also considering Velvet Dress, so if that had been played, that would've been a massive shock.

Yeah, Miss Sarajevo was a huge surprise at Vertigo Amsterdam III. I really, really enjoyed it back then. Even my dad, who is a big opera fan liked it, although his inital comment after the song was: ''Pavarotti did it better.'' :doh: :lol:

Well, your Dad was right...

But Bono does a pretty fucking stellar job regardless. The song obviously means a lot to him, he broke up during the opera part on several occasions on both tours.

Yes of course, Pavarotti was (one of) the best opera singer(s) in the world. I just thought that his comment was so obvious that it didn't make any sense.

This round's result has got to be one of the worst in the tournament.

They played Slug in Milan? :wink:
:wink: Oooh witty. Forgot to take out part of the quote, lol. But yeah it should be obvious that I meant when they played Italy on Vertigo Tour. There was one show inbetween Amsterdam and Milan, was it Zurich? Am too lazy to look it up..

How the heck did Beach Sequence get 12 consecutive votes overnight? It was tied on 8 with Sarajevo last time I checked.

Ha I broke that tie, but ever since The Hive prevailed and ganged up on BS! :D

Yeah, what you guys said about Miss Sarajevo vs RTSS. I really wish they'd rotated them, at least in cities with multiple shows, rather than outright ditching RTSS.

Oh, and if Mofo ever gets played live again, this forum will pretty much spontaneously combust. I remember also the anticipation about the band rehearsing Lemon and Daddy's Gonna Pay - response would've been pretty big if those had shown up. The band, unbeknownst to Interference at the time, were also considering Velvet Dress, so if that had been played, that would've been a massive shock.

Remember when they started rehearsing Batman in 2010. Nobody on here actually believed it until we got a clip where Bono changed the lyrics to alive at 53! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom