Best Song Survivor: October Round Six

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
In the last round, both I Fall Down and Fire were eliminated, as they received the same number of votes. Now just five songs compete for October's two slots in the early 1980s quarterfinal. You have 24 hours to vote for your least favorite song, the next song to be kicked out of this contest. For anyone just joining us, rules may be found here.

:up: Good. I think IFD is much better than Fire, but not better than any of these. My vote will most likely go to I Threw a Brick. :hmm: Good song yes, but we'll make sure people don't get crazy here first. :wink:

Two of these get through, eh? With what remains, I'd go for Gloria and I Threw A Brick Through A Window. I think one of those two will happen. Either way, if October needs my vote to save Brick for one more round, I'll do that. I'm hoping Tomorrow picks up some steam and I can vote for it without throwing away a vote.

I don't like "I Threw A Brick" nearly as much as I like the other four songs here. The other four are classics.

Voting to protect Brick Through Window and Gloria. The other three I would prefer not to to see progress to the next round.

October. It's a pretty little song but the others are much better.

(Thank god I Fall Down is gone, even if it dragged Fire down with it.)

This is actually pretty hard, these are all great songs. But I'm extremely disappointed to see October leading the count, it's probably my favourite from the album. I love Brick to death but I'll have to vote for it to save October.

In a perfect world I'd probably vote Tomorrow. The overt references to Jesus and God have always put me off a bit and I don't find it as amazing as others seem too.

October. It's a pretty little song but the others are much better.

(Thank god I Fall Down is gone, even if it dragged Fire down with it.)

Never expected it (IFD) to go to the end anyway, but I think it made it further than it did last time, didn't it? :hmm:

The overt references to Jesus and God have always put me off a bit

:panic: :panic:

When you really think about it, the outro of that song is one of the most heartbreaking moments in the entire U2 discography. Bono's so despondent there that the thought of Jesus returning is the only thought that comforts him. The desperate delivery of I BELIEEEEEEEVEEE ITTTT I BELIEEEEVE ITTTT sends a chill down my spine. I'm gonna BE there! I'm gonna BE there, MOTHER!

Compare that to his shithouse, mailed-in vocals on Bomb and it's like night and day.

Plus, they actually sound like an Irish band on it. Tomorrow fucking rules.

:panic: :panic:

When you really think about it, the outro of that song is one of the most heartbreaking moments in the entire U2 discography. Bono's so despondent there that the thought of Jesus returning is the only thought that comforts him. The desperate delivery of I BELIEEEEEEEVEEE ITTTT I BELIEEEEVE ITTTT sends a chill down my spine. I'm gonna BE there! I'm gonna BE there, MOTHER!

Compare that to his shithouse, mailed-in vocals on Bomb and it's like night and day.

Plus, they actually sound like an Irish band on it. Tomorrow fucking rules.

This. It's easily the most Irish-sounding song they have. The climax is fantastic.

If one is worried about allusions to God and Jesus, better to ignore the whole album. Gloria seems to be a favourite and that one is blatantly Christian.

Rejoice.

Somehow it surprises me that there's a tie between Brick and October. I assumed October wouldn't get as many votes for some reason.

When you really think about it, the outro of [Tomorrow] is one of the most heartbreaking moments in the entire U2 discography. Bono's so despondent there that the thought of Jesus returning is the only thought that comforts him. The desperate delivery of I BELIEEEEEEEVEEE ITTTT I BELIEEEEVE ITTTT sends a chill down my spine. I'm gonna BE there! I'm gonna BE there, MOTHER!

:up:

I'm really surprised at the number of votes for October. It may be sparse and something of an interlude, but those kind of pieces can really add atmosphere to an album. Fourth of July functions the same way for UF, I think. I suppose I am trying to evaluate these songs based on how well they do what they set out to do, and October is very strong in that regard.

iron yuppie said:
:up:

I'm really surprised at the number of votes for October. It may be sparse and something of an interlude, but those kind of pieces can really add atmosphere to an album. Fourth of July functions the same way for UF, I think. I suppose I am trying to evaluate these songs based on how well they do what they set out to do, and October is very strong in that regard.

Wouldn't argue that "sparse" interludes don't add anything to an album, I just find that The Ocean, 4th of July and Scarlet do it better than October does. Just not really loving the song at the moment, and haven't for some time. Don't know why.

Never expected it (IFD) to go to the end anyway, but I think it made it further than it did last time, didn't it? :hmm:

Yeah, sort of. Last time I Fall Down left (seventh for the album) and then Fire (sixth), while this time around they tied for equal sixth.

Incidentally, in this round last time, Brick was emphatically thrown out - October even outlived Rejoice. I'm surprised by the polling this time, but pleased. I really dig Brick, and I would love Rejoice to beat Tomorrow to a place in the finals.

To iyup's point about October's function on the album, I think it would've worked much better had it been placed before Tomorrow rather than after. Squeezing it between the climax of Tomorrow and the quick start of With A Shout is quite awkward, but if it led into Tomorrow? We know that was a stunningly beautiful segue live, and I think it would've been just as good on the album. It would perhaps help to make the album feel more cohesive too, rather than a hastily prepared smattering of songs.

I always thought October was a good follow-up for Tomorrow (or maybe I'm just used to it). All the grief pouring out at the end of Tomorrow... and then a lovely, elegiac piece that sums the mood up in about nine or so lines. The very last two lines contain the smallest bit of hope. "But You go on... and on." The time for mourning is over, and With A Shout is a good way to rejoice (heh, that's another song!) for it. Except lyrically, With A Shout doesn't counterract/contrast the themes of Tomorrow and October... It's only in the mood of the music. Maybe a different song would work for a better sequence.

Well, I hope I'm not analyzing that too much...

Yeah, sort of. Last time I Fall Down left (seventh for the album) and then Fire (sixth), while this time around they tied for equal sixth.

Ah okay. It was actually nearly the same then. I would have sworn it went out earlier, but it could just be that the grief it gets around here during these challenges is just a lot more emphatic from the people who are vocal about disliking it. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom