Best Song Survivor: October Round One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Gloria

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rejoice

• Fire

• Tomorrow

• October

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is That All and Stranger In a Strange Land are two of my least favorite U2 songs in their whole catalog.

Aside from those two, I don't really dislike anything else on the album.

All I care about on this album is I Threw a Brick Through a Window. And maybe Gloria.

I really don't get the hate this album gets. Tomorrow, Rejoice, October? Fantastic early U2 songs right there.

djerdap said:
I really don't get the hate this album gets. Tomorrow, Rejoice, October? Fantastic early U2 songs right there.

I don't get it either. I think it flows perfectly and the songs are great.

I honestly think most of the tracks are great. It's a very good album with a lot of raw passion.

I Fall Down is the only track here that I think is poor. I'm not a big fan of Stranger In A Strange Land or Is That All?, and I won't miss them too much if they're ousted early, but I think they both have things going for them and I don't mind playing them every now and then.

:wink: Ok that's going too far. But I've tried to like Fire and just can't. :sigh:

Yeah, people say that Boots was an awful lead single, but Fire has got to be their worst in that category. I don't think October is a poor album by any stretch, but being sandwiched between Boy and War really brings its shortcomings to the fore, I think.

I may have to do an "in defence of ..." thread for Fire. I recall it's not very popular around here, but I've always found it to be an album highlight.

Though I'll agree that Fire was not suited to the lead single job. Maybe a later single, but not the first. Gloria pretty obviously should have been the lead single, and it's criminal that they didn't use Rejoice as a single.

Fire is much better live. The main guitar riff is actually pretty catchy and it was inexplicably buried in the studio version.

The lyrics are just a bit too hackneyed for me to be able to excuse. "THERE'S A FIRE IN ME!!!" I mean, come on, Bono. :lol:

The lyrics are just a bit too hackneyed for me to be able to excuse. "THERE'S A FIRE IN ME!!!" I mean, come on, Bono. :lol:

You say that like U2's entire career isn't full of hackneyed lyrics. :lol:

"I want to run / I want to hide"

"One love, one life"

"IT'S A BEAAAAUUUTTIIIIFFUUUULLL DAAAAYYYYYY dun let it get AAAWWWAAAYYYYYY"

The only 'song' if you will, on October that I don't care about would have to be Scarlet and maybe the album's namesake. I love October, it's a great album and for me it doesn't seem to have any major flaws.

In case we needed any proof that the forum is dead - October's never had the strongest voting, but last time, every round had over 70 votes except one, which was mercy ruled after ten hours and still had over 50 votes. This time? We're doing well just to get to 40.

Though in fairness, last time's numbers were probably boosted because it was right around when NLOTH dropped.

Yeah, the fucking Interference Thread Survivor is pulling in nearly half as many votes per round.

I hope Gloria and Rejoice will make it to the next round. Rejoice is so full of energy! Brick, Tomorrow and October are great too. I do enjoy Scarlet, the other songs are (pretty) weak.

I hope Gloria and Rejoice will make it to the next round. Rejoice is so full of energy! Brick, Tomorrow and October are great too. I do enjoy Scarlet, the other songs are (pretty) weak.

I was about to say I was totally with you, then you wrote that last sentence. :wink:

I Fall Down

I just realized I haven't listened to this album in years!! Must do so.

Back
Top Bottom