Best Song Survivor: No Line, Round Seven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Unknown Caller was called away in the last round. Five songs are now left to compete for three slots in the 2000s quarterfinal round. You have twenty-four hours to vote against your least favorite song. For anyone just joining us, rules may be found here.

I'll vote for Fez/Being Born. It's a nice sound, but it's not as fun to listen to as a song as Magnificent is.

Voting Breathe, just because I don't think Magnificent deserves the pummeling it's getting. But I'm fine with either leaving at this point.

Fez is very cool, I'd love for it to make the finals.

Fez. It's more memorable lyrically than musically, though a great song regardless. There are 6 great songs on this album and 5 of them are still here (Cedars :sad: ).

And White as Snow! :applaud: And the rest of the songs really aren't all that bad. Unknown Caller (cheesy lyrics but great music), Crazy (nothing special, but fun pop song), Boots (Great live) aren't revolutionary but I enjoy listening to them.

I think NLOTH will be like Pop in that it will grow in popularity as the years go by among the more hardcore fans even as the general fanbase mostly ignores it, a la Pop.

Fez is very good but it is not quite Zooropa good. Breathe is also very good but that one line "band in my head plays a strip tease" bothers me a bit (flashback to WITS). I didn't know which one to vote for. Ended up voting for Fez only in a desperate attempt for it to catch up with Magnificent and overtake it. Magnificent deserves to make the finals!

I really, really like this group of songs.

just switch UC for MOS and you've got it ! :hyper:

:wink:
What, not moved to trash?
:grumpy:

:rimshot: :lol:
Fez. It's more memorable lyrically than musically, though a great song regardless. There are 6 great songs on this album and 5 of them are still here (Cedars :sad: ).

Disagree and
omg the "lights flash past/ like memories"
IS one of the most beautiful almost floating in air ( like Light can)
set of Harmonies that Bono & Edge, maybe Larry is in there, too,
have ever done> I nearly fell off my couch the first time I heard that! :)

I'm actually ready to vote for No Line On The Horizon to be fair, a bit over rated in these parts I feel, but I simply must save Magnificent. So Fez it is.

Magnificent vs. Fez is about as big of a U2 Rorschach test as you're going to ever see. If you voted for Fez you really have no business ever complaining about U2 never doing anything different or taking risks anymore.

It's true that Magnificent is better than the scorn that's being heaped upon it, and is actually a nice little song, but it's nowhere near the same league as Fez. Indeed, Fez is what this record could have been and should have been before the band lost their nerve.

Fez is certainly not the best song on the record, but it's better than a generic stadium anthem that the band could have written in their sleep.

If you voted for Fez you really have no business ever complaining about U2 never doing anything different or taking risks anymore.

There is such a thing as a well-written pop song, and I appreciate those. Beautiful Day is one of them. I outlined in a previous thread what elements of Magnificent I feel separate it from the mediocrity it gets compared to, so I don't want to get into all of that again, but no, U2 could not and did not write the song in their sleep. The lyrics, perhaps.

Elevation is a song they wrote in their sleep. Three chords looped again and again in one of two patterns, a two-note riff, a bridge (the best part) and horrific lyrics. Yeah, they mailed that one in. Magnificent has too much going on with its chord progression and has too many neat little details in the arrangement to be that lazy. Penny Lane sounds like just another Beatles song until you look at the chord chart and realize how much effort goes into putting a great pop song together.

Obviously Fez is a rather bizarre song for U2 standards. The first minute notwithstanding, it's still unusual by virtue of being one of the few U2 songs without much of a hook. The song just keeps climbing without looking back (no chorus!) until it eventually climaxes and fades. I slightly prefer Cedars though, if we're talking about "experimental U2." It sticks with me a bit longer, perhaps by virtue of being the closer.

31454852.jpg

I often find myself listening to Fez inattentively, it just passes me by, which is not a good thing in a song. It should be distracting me from whatever I'm doing.

What the fuck, where have all these Fez votes come from?

Especially when something as mediocre as Breathe is still here?

Come on people, Fez is total Hivecore.

Back
Top Bottom