Best Song Survivor: No Line, Round One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• No Line on the Horizon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Moment of Surrender

• Fez - Being Born

• Breathe

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Miracle Drug was vanquished in the last round. Thus, Vertigo and City of Blinding lights shall be How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb's two representatives in the 2000s quarterfinal round. Shocking! We now move onto No Line on the Horizon, U2's most recent album! NLOTH shall send three representatives to the 2000s quarterfinal round. You have twenty-four hours to vote against your least favorite song. For anyone just joining us, rules may be found here.

Magnificent until it's gone. Perhaps the most uninspiring song they've ever committed to tape. Trite lyrics, average guitar, not even redeemable by the intro or Adam's bass playing.

I never skipped any songs on the album for quite a long time, as it goes with most new albums. But in time, it's become the most often skipped over now. (White As Snow)

Interesting- I thought there was more love for WAS.
I don't hate SUC, I think it's ok, but I think it's the weakest song here. While I don't really love COL, I respect it, so that counts, at least for this round.

WAS is so much better than GOYB and Crazy Tonight. I thought the Hive had better taste than this.

I like White as Snow. Cedars for me this round.

Anyone think they should have included "Winter"? I wish Every Breaking Wave was on it.

My top 3: Breathe, NLOTH & Moment of Surrender.

Magnificent until it's gone. Perhaps the most uninspiring song they've ever committed to tape. Trite lyrics, average guitar, not even redeemable by the intro or Adam's bass playing.
I like where your head's at, but it's a little early for that.

Voting for Stand Up Comedy.

WAS is wonderful, poignant and elegant. Can't believe it's under threat already when there are three uber turds floating in the middle, waiting to be flushed into the sewers.

I like White as Snow. Cedars for me this round.

Anyone think they should have included "Winter"? I wish Every Breaking Wave was on it.

My top 3: Breathe, NLOTH & Moment of Surrender.

My top 3 as well. :D

I'm not a fan of Winter though so I'm glad it was left off. Not really a fan of EBW either.

WAS is wonderful, poignant and elegant. Can't believe it's under threat already when there are three uber turds floating in the middle, waiting to be flushed into the sewers.

Don't worry, it isn't under any threat yet. Hatred in this forum for SUC, strong it is.

My favorite song on this album is Moment of Surrender. After that, I'm not sure. I really like Magnificent, Breathe, and White as Snow. But ranking those is tough.

Stand Up Comedy is gone for sure... But Crazy Tonight gets my vote.. Don't hate the song, but it deserves a vote for kicking Winter off the album.

I hate when U2 fans bash U2, but, SUC is straight up a shit song....not relatively speaking, just overall bad. May it perish immediately so I do not need to repeat myself next round.

I really like White As Snow. I probably wouldn't be voting for it until the final 5 songs on this album. (Not that it'll last that long.)

Crazy Tonight album version just doesn't do it for me. Had to vote that one out. I like the remix/live version a lot but the album version always sounded like a B-side from ATYCLB

Top three are easy: Fez, White As Snow, and NLOTH, in that order.

Stand Up Comedy is an easy vote for having probably the worst U2 lyric ever, the stupid "little old lady" line.

Seconded.

Man, I love White As Snow. I certainly didn't expect to see it far in these rounds, but I didn't expect people to be voting for it already.

White As Snow can get a little boring but it is still miles ahead of Get On Your Boots, which is just shit and exemplifies everything wrong about U2 in the new millenium!

Stand Up Comedy is quite bad but at least I like parts of the melody.

Elevation
Vertigo
Get On Your Boots

This is what I absolutely hate about U2 post 2000. They were never about bouncy pop songs played in bars where drunk teenyboppers shout out parts of the chorus going yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah! Their songs were more meaningful than that.

Elevation
Vertigo
Get On Your Boots

This is what I absolutely hate about U2 post 2000. They were never about bouncy pop songs played in bars where drunk teenyboppers shout out parts of the chorus going yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah! Their songs were more meaningful than that.

Let's not kid ourselves about the role songs like Desire, EBTTRT, and Mysterious Ways played in the band's history.

Let's not kid ourselves about the role songs like Desire, EBTTRT, and Mysterious Ways played in the band's history.

lol. Okay point taken. It was just kids of a different era that swooned over the Achtung/Zoo TV image. But... I don't know, there's something very disposable about the songs that I mentioned. I find more depth in the songs you quoted.

Mysterious Ways is driven by a clever metaphor and uncharacteristic groove. EBTTRT was musically cutting edge for the band. Desire was a left-field direction and extremely catchy besides.

The new rockers are generally bland and aren't offering anything new to U2's catalogue. Those three tracks do though, each of them.

I have to admit though, that whenever I read Vertigo's lyrics closely and try to imagine that it is a song about temptation in a seedy club called Vertigo, I actually enjoy the song more. Can anyone confirm whether the band themselves endorse this interpretation and it is not just one made up by fans to try and extract some kind of deeper meaning out of the song? :p

On a related note, what is Get On Your Boots about?

Back
Top Bottom