Best Song Survivor: No Line On The Horizon Round III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for your LEAST FAVOURITE song

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for your LEAST FAVOURITE song.

Welcome to the third round for No Line On The Horizon in Best Song Survivor! The object of this game is to find Interference's favourite U2 song. To do so, songs will be eliminated album-by-album in 24 hour long rounds to leave the favourites to contest a final that will determine the very favourite. The top three songs from this album will proceed to the 2000s semi-final. Only original U2 songs with official studio releases will compete. Due to dominating past tournaments and the inevitable likelihood that they will do the same this time, Where The Streets Have No Name and One are not in the tournament and can be assumed default equal #1 over and above the ultimate winner.

In the last round, Get On Your Boots became the second song to be eliminated from NLOTH - the worst performance of any lead single in the game.

ORDER OF ELIMINATION
11. Stand Up Comedy
10. Get On Your Boots

GRAND FINALISTS
1. New Year's Day
2. A Sort Of Homecoming
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. Bad
5. With Or Without You
6. One Tree Hill
7. All I Want Is You
8. Until The End Of The World
9. The Fly
10. Zooropa
11. Stay
12. Gone

2000S SEMI-FINALISTS
1. Beautiful Day
2. Walk On
3. Kite
4. Vertigo
5. City Of Blinding Lights

LAST ROUND'S RESULTS
36 votes: Get On Your Boots
20: Crazy Tonight
19: Cedars Of Lebanon
11: White As Snow
9: Unknown Caller
7: Fez-Being Born
2: Moment Of Surrender
1: No Line On The Horizon, Magnificent
0: Breathe
(Total votes: 106)

I'm not voting yet. I'd ordinarily go after the mediocrity of Breathe, but Cedars is one of the four best songs on NLOTH so I'm going to hold onto my vote in case I need to oust Crazy Tonight to save it.

Cedars.

You guys are amazing eliminating U2's sixth best song ever on the second round.

I CAN'T CHOOSE!!!!!

this is seriously hard, I have no idea what I will vote for

Same... I love Cedars, and would love to protect it, but I can't bring myself to vote for any song here to protect it! But there's no way I could vote for Cedars!!

Also, Dan, nice... uhh, location, motherfucker, don't you ever forget.

Same... I love Cedars, and would love to protect it, but I can't bring myself to vote for any song here to protect it! But there's no way I could vote for Cedars!!

Also, Dan, nice... uhh, location, motherfucker, don't you ever forget.

I was gunna put my avatar as Kevin garnett too, and my tagline under it as "ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!!!"

But it seemed a bit dated, and I didn't want to dedicate everything on the left to the song. Also Sugar Ray is the man

Unknown Caller till it's gone. The only song left utterly ruined by shit lyrics.

Looks like a vote for WAS will save Cedars

Id rather vote for WAS than Cedars, and id also rather save Cedars with WAS than CT.

Get on WAS all those who want to save the gold

White As Snow is the second best song behind Fez. I'll vote Cedars to protect it.

Id say Cedars, WAS and CT are the next three out comfortably.

Shame really, I spose we are really just deciding on the order.

Ill say itll be Cedars, then CT then WAS.

We should just replace the 2000s semifinals with this... these songs really deserve to go to finals much more than the vast majority of the other songs that are/will be in the 2000s semis.

Id say Cedars, WAS and CT are the next three out comfortably.

Shame really, I spose we are really just deciding on the order.

Ill say itll be Cedars, then CT then WAS.

Which is lame. Breathe and NLOTH both deserve to go before any of those three.

We should just replace the 2000s semifinals with this... these songs really deserve to go to finals much more than the vast majority of the other songs that are/will be in the 2000s semis.

Which is again a perfect tribute to the fact that this album is amazing, and will be remembered thusly

Which is lame. Breathe and NLOTH both deserve to go before any of those three.

Really? I don't understand the perspective? Just because a song has a big chorus (Breathe) doesn't mean it has no quality. The last chorus live I feel will be one of three (previously 2 for me) live spine-tinglers.

I call spine-tinglers on x-factor. Can be any moment, just has to have an x-factor that you dont understand why you love it or what makes it so.

So far there are 2 for me:

The moment Edge's guitar breaks in on EVERY version of Streets

The moment in Bad (only on some versions, Notre Dame most notably) when Bono gets the huge echo and distance on the "fade-away" line after the dislocation, condemnation, revelation in temptation etc bit.

Really? I don't understand the perspective? Just because a song has a big chorus (Breathe) doesn't mean it has no quality. The last chorus live I feel will be one of three (previously 2 for me) live spine-tinglers.

I never knew I had a problem with big choruses. Did you miss the big chorus in Pride from my beloved UF?

Breathe is just a mediocre song, and I can't fathom why most of this forum is furiously masturbating over it. The verses sound pretty bad and Bono's vocal delivery doesn't mesh with the music at all, and they sound disconnected from the rest of the song - the sudden changes of pace in vocal delivery are timed poorly. Then the ending is just more waffly pseudo-motivational garbage from Bono, the kind of nonsense we've put up with all decade that has nothing on the Fezes or White As Snows of this world. The worst part is that Edge is actually putting in some effort but Bono hogs the spotlight by singing lazily over the top.

In the end, it's a few good musical ideas put together thoughtlessly and with the wrong vocal track.

Oh well, guess I of all people have to hate U2's next One or whatever status this forum's going to assign to it.

Breathe is just a mediocre song, and I can't fathom why most of this forum is furiously masturbating over it.

Because it's fast?

It just shits me people taking pot shots at Breathe, becuase it is quality out of the box thinking. Edge actually cuts loose rather than the pseudo-losse-cutting of Vertigo which is very measured at controlled.

Bono's vocals are fantastic, his voice hasn't sounded that clear and strong since 84.

It's different qualities that some like, and others don't, but I feel justified in my love of the song, and don't think it should be simplified into terms like 'lazy'

Cease to speak, that I may speak...

you are wrong

Shush now...

"Password, you enter here" and "Force quit and move to trash" are two of the worst lyrics he's ever done. I know what the point is, it's just stupid.

Ka-rayzee Tonite FTL. It's very pleasant and stuff. Well arranged, performed, and all those nice things. But there's nothing going on here that is in any way original or provokes me to give a damn.

Glad to see I have no need to defend Breathe, since nearly everyone else is doing it for me. The song is simply head and shoulders above any U2 rocker since Pop. Better lyrics, better riff, more sonic depth, greater cohesion. Overall, I would argue that it kicks ass.

Back
Top Bottom