Best Song Survivor: No Line On The Horizon Round I

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for your LEAST FAVOURITE song

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for your LEAST FAVOURITE song.

Welcome to the first round for No Line On The Horizon in Best Song Survivor! The object of this game is to find Interference's favourite U2 song. To do so, songs will be eliminated album-by-album in 24 hour long rounds to leave the favourites to contest a final that will determine the very favourite. The top three songs from this album will proceed to the 2000s semi-final. Only original U2 songs with official studio releases will compete. Due to dominating past tournaments and the inevitable likelihood that they will do the same this time, Where The Streets Have No Name and One are not in the tournament and can be assumed default equal #1 over and above the ultimate winner.

In HTDAAB's last round, Original Of The Species was ousted, leaving Vertigo and City Of Blinding Lights as semi-finalists.

ORDER OF ELIMINATION
11. A Man And A Woman
10. Yahweh
9. One Step Closer
8. All Because Of You
7. Crumbs From Your Table
6. Love And Peace Or Else
5. Miracle Drug
4. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
3. Original Of The Species
1-2. QUALIFIED

GRAND FINALISTS
1. New Year's Day
2. A Sort Of Homecoming
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. Bad
5. With Or Without You
6. One Tree Hill
7. All I Want Is You
8. Until The End Of The World
9. The Fly
10. Zooropa
11. Stay
12. Gone

2000S SEMI-FINALISTS
1. Beautiful Day
2. Walk On
3. Kite
4. Vertigo
5. City Of Blinding Lights

LAST ROUND'S RESULTS
54 votes: Original Of The Species
33: Vertigo
14: City Of Blinding Lights
(Total votes: 101 - mercy ruled)

:love: NLOTH in Survivor :drool:

Fez-Being Born

Boots is awesome, though I know it will probably be leaving early :tsk:

Boots is the clunker of the album. Its last third is good U2 listening, but the rest is not that great.

Still, it's better than the majority of the previous two albums.

Unknown Caller. Easily.

Breathe and MOS need to make it through. Cock Crazy Tonight is a personal favorite of mine, as well, but I know it has no chance of advancing. So I'd say that the 3rd semi-finalist spot should go to either the title track or Magnificent.

Personally, I'd like Fez, White As Snow, and Magnificent to be the finalists. Magnificent looks like a sure thing, and I hope Fez scrapes in. Bloody hope Breathe doesn't make it.

My ranking of the album at present:

Very Fine U2 Listening
1. Fez
2. White As Snow

Fine U2 Listening
3. Magnificent
4. Cedars
5. Moment Of Surrender
6. Unknown Caller
7. Crazy Tonight
8. NLOTH (would be fourth or fifth if NLOTH II)

Sort Of Fine U2 Listening
9. Breathe

Final Third Of The Song Is Fine U2 Listening
10. Stand Up Comedy
11. Get On Your Boots

SUC is my least favorite, but I still like it.

I honestly don't care too much what makes it to semifinals... I really like every song here. I agree with Dan that it will probably be Magnificent, MOS, and Breathe (with UC in fourth), but I'd be thrilled to see any of these songs go onto semifinals.

I want to see No Line, Breathe, and Fez advance. I wouldn't mind Moment of Surrender making it either.

Three songs to progress - Breathe, Cedars and Magnificent hopefully.

Stand Up Comedy is the obvious weak link, though Crazy Tonight doesn't really need to hang around. Shouldn't have been on the album in the first place.

Geeze, this round is off to a terrible start. Cedars and SUC are my first and second favorite, and it looks like I'll have to vote for Boots (which is in my top half of the album) to try and save them. :huh:

I don't see how people think Boots is worse than Stand Up Comedy, which is by far the easiest choice here.

To me, the first two thirds of both songs are clunky, then the final third redeems them. However, Comedy's music in the first two thirds isn't bad - it's just the godawful lyrics that lower my opinion of the song. Plus its final third sounds better than Boots's final third. So it's pretty easy to give the nod to Boots.

I'm stunned Cedars is polling strongly in the early voting.

Boots at least makes you wanna sing it out loud, and what an incredible grooove, damn it's so wonderfully catchy......the verses in Stand Up Comedy just sounds like a cheesy and bad Live song....

To me, the first two thirds of both songs are clunky, then the final third redeems them. However, Comedy's music in the first two thirds isn't bad - it's just the godawful lyrics that lower my opinion of the song. Plus its final third sounds better than Boots's final third. So it's pretty easy to give the nod to Boots.

I'm stunned Cedars is polling strongly in the early voting.

I think the music in Boots is much better overall.

It's funny how people loved the song when it first came out and now consider it to be the worst song on the album (not you, but overall in general).

As for Cedars, I most definitely agree. It's one of my favorites on here.

I personally think that Boots' lyrics are decent in the context of the album, and the rhythm section (specifically Larry's bongo-playing) is awesome. And the chorus vocal harmonies are amazing (although they were better in the beach clip). Those three factors redeem the song for me. But I see why people would prefer SUC, even though its lyrics are abhorrent.

And Cedars polling where it is bugs me.

I think the music in Boots is much better overall.

It's funny how people loved the song when it first came out and now consider it to be the worst song on the album (not you, but overall in general).

As for Cedars, I most definitely agree. It's one of my favorites on here.

I find Boots a bit musically disjointed - the individual ideas are probably better than Comedy, but they are put together poorly, hence I favour the more coherent Comedy.

I think my general feelings towards Boots are pretty similar to how I felt when it first came out - I'm just delighted the album has ten better songs. I've got the impression this is an experience I share with a number of people, but then I haven't really kept up with how people feel about the album outside of the Superthread.

Boots, reluctantly.

One of the great things is despite what the haters say, the lows of the album aren't that low. SUC shits on a song like Crumbs, Boots shits on Vertigo, Crazy Tonight is a perfect pop record, and Cedars is the best closer since WUDM... and they'll clearly be the first 4 to go.

Great album. Luff it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom