Best Song Survivor: Late 1980s Quarter Final Round III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for your LEAST FAVOURITE song

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Every song left is quality. But Spanish Eyes and In God's Country have the least going for them.

Spanish Eyes has a 16 vote lead...mercy ruling so that I can vote for "Acrobat" sooner?

RTSS.

These results make me realize how pointless b-side rounds are.

Or more to the point, how predictable Interference is in voting for a b-side just because it's a b-side.

I actually thought Spanish Eyes was a shot at hanging around longer than an album track or two ... but the competition here is brutal.

I'm actually thinking that maybe next time, an era's b-sides should be included in the album round. None will probably make the finals, but they'd get a fair fight against other material from the era and perhaps outdo some album tracks.

not that it seems like it has any competition, but i voted for spanish eyes to protect heartland, just in case. though i also did to get it closer to a mercy ruling, since spanish eyes has nearly twice the votes heartland does.

I'm predicting that the 7 songs to move on will be A Sort Of Homecoming, Pride, The Unforgettable Fire, Bad, With Or Without You, One Tree Hill, and All I Want Is You.

I'm predicting that the 7 songs to move on will be A Sort Of Homecoming, Pride, The Unforgettable Fire, Bad, With Or Without You, One Tree Hill, and All I Want Is You.

Heartland will be one of the songs to move on if I have anything to do with it.

Also, I realised the criteria for progression to the grand final hasn't been hammered out. I'd like it to be around only 12-15 tracks. I'm thinking that perhaps the amount of songs that proceed from each decade's semi-final should be proportional to the amount of albums in that decade, i.e. 6 from the eighties, 4 from the nineties (Passengers being included in considerations here), and 3 from the 2000s. That gives us a 13 song grand final.

Heartland will be one of the songs to move on if I have anything to do with it.

Also, I realised the criteria for progression to the grand final hasn't been hammered out. I'd like it to be around only 12-15 tracks. I'm thinking that perhaps the amount of songs that proceed from each decade's semi-final should be proportional to the amount of albums in that decade, i.e. 6 from the eighties, 4 from the nineties (Passengers being included in considerations here), and 3 from the 2000s. That gives us a 13 song grand final.

How many slots can you have in a round? I'd vote to multiply the number by 1.5 each (9 for the 80s, 6 for the 90s, and 4.5--rounded to 5--for the 00s). That'd be 20.

How many slots can you have in a round? I'd vote to multiply the number by 1.5 each (9 for the 80s, 6 for the 90s, and 4.5--rounded to 5--for the 00s). That'd be 20.

You can have up to 30, but I don't like rounds longer than album length. Just the 20 song 1984-89 Miscellaneous poll was a pain, and it was only one round. 13 songs suits me well.

Plus, 9 from the eighties would render our semi-final pointless. It's 12 songs: 5 early eighties, 7 late eighties.

The nineties and 2000s have too few albums to justify quarter finals. The nineties semi is 16 songs, the 2000s one is 12.

You can have up to 30, but I don't like rounds longer than album length. Just the 20 song 1984-89 Miscellaneous poll was a pain, and it was only one round. 13 songs suits me well.

Plus, 9 from the eighties would render our semi-final pointless. It's 12 songs: 5 early eighties, 7 late eighties.

Ah, I hadn't paid close enough attention to realise only 5 songs were from the early 80s. I was actually figuring it'd wind up being 7 songs from each era of the 80s, and then 16 songs between the 90s and 00s to make for a final of 30. It's because I don't read enough of what's written for me. :wink:

To be a bit more generous, we could give each decade one extra song. Admittedly, no matter how many songs go through, it'll be unpleasant to narrow it all down (just look at this quarter final!). If we made it one song for each album plus one more, that'd be 7 eighties tracks, 5 nineties tracks, and 4 2000s tracks, for a total of 16 finalists, which is as high as I really want to go.

So... Running To Stand Still or In God's Country next? (To save Heartland)

How the fuck has Heartland got to 20 votes?

I suspect IGC will probably be more easily bandwagoned than RTSS or Pride. I'm going to hold onto my vote and see what happens.

Some serious protection will be needed for Heartland in the next round.
:angry:

Mods, please, suspend the following people until the end of this quarterfinal:

Heartland
2861U2, BigAl, BigMacPhisto, BrasilLovesU2, Demosthenes, Elann, GirlsAloudFan, I am, INSTCUWSUMVC, kkaider, Lila64, luna_lovegood, MiracleDruggie, MooMoo!, Mr. V, phanan, Sicy, stagman, The_Pac_Mule, Trinity3000

Oh wait, Sicy is in that list!

UF again, until I have to start voting strategically to save Heartland.

Of course, I won't be here for 10 days after Monday, so it's probably moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom