Best Song Survivor: How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb Round VI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for your LEAST FAVOURITE song

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for your LEAST FAVOURITE song.

Welcome to the sixth round for How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb in Best Song Survivor! The object of this game is to find Interference's favourite U2 song. To do so, songs will be eliminated album-by-album in 24 hour long rounds to leave the favourites to contest a final that will determine the very favourite. The top two songs from this album will proceed to the 2000s semi-final. Only original U2 songs with official studio releases will compete. Due to dominating past tournaments and the inevitable likelihood that they will do the same this time, Where The Streets Have No Name and One are not in the tournament and can be assumed default equal #1 over and above the ultimate winner.

Last round, Crumbs From Your Table got eliminated.

ORDER OF ELIMINATION
11. A Man And A Woman
10. Yahweh
9. One Step Closer
8. All Because Of You
7. Crumbs From Your Table

GRAND FINALISTS
1. New Year's Day
2. A Sort Of Homecoming
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. Bad
5. With Or Without You
6. One Tree Hill
7. All I Want Is You
8. Until The End Of The World
9. The Fly
10. Zooropa
11. Stay
12. Gone

2000S SEMI-FINALISTS
1. Beautiful Day
2. Walk On
3. Kite

LAST ROUND'S RESULTS
35 votes: Crumbs From Your Table
17: Original Of The Species
13: Love And Peace Or Else
9: Miracle Drug
8: Vertigo, SYCMIOYO
3: City Of Blinding Lights
(Total votes: 93)

OOTS, for god's sake. Neither it nor SYCMIOYO should have made it past the first three or four rounds, and it looks like it has more of a chance of being eliminated this round than SYCMIOYO so it's an easy choice. Plus I'm worried LAPOE now might be approaching the chop.

Sucks that Crumbs is gone. That leaves just COBL as one of the songs I wanted to make the finals at the start of the HTDAAB rounds. Now LAPOE is one of my desired finalists due to the elimination of Crumbs and One Step Closer.

The song title is a school-yard threat, and while the music is interesting, it is the most cringe-worthy song on the album lyrically. The music is what has made it hold on this long, but it's time

While I don't disagree with your criticisms of it, Vertigo is a much more vapid song, SYCMIOYO is boring in every possible sense, and OOTS is twinkly, banal dross that manages to make LAPOE look lyrically competent. I think all three need to go well before LAPOE.

The song title is a school-yard threat, and while the music is interesting, it is the most cringe-worthy song on the album lyrically. The music is what has made it hold on this long, but it's time

:up: (well, most cringe-worthy after Crumbs)

But yes, LAPOE can go now. I feel happy to be able to chase after it now.

While I don't disagree with your criticisms of it, Vertigo is a much more vapid song, SYCMIOYO is boring in every possible sense, and OOTS is twinkly, banal dross that manages to make LAPOE look lyrically competent. I think all three need to go well before LAPOE.

You do like the word banal, Ax.

It's not a banal word.

I'll switch to 'asinine' tomorrow, since vocabulary diversity is as important as setlist diversity. U2 may not rotate their setlists, but I'll rotate my insults. :up:

It's only a 'b' removed from his other favourite word!

Sorry, I take it back!

With regards to Veritgo, OOTS and SYCMIOYO

They all have an x factor that LAPOE misses. It just doesn't cut the mustard for me. The others use their cheesyness as a way of enhancing the intimatcy and honesty of the lyric IE "I know it sounds lame, but it's how I feel, so fuck you all"

It's only a 'b' removed from his other favourite word!

Sorry, I take it back!

I bet your favourite televangelist is Oral Roberts.

Now that's televangelism anybody can enjoy! :happy:

With regards to Veritgo, OOTS and SYCMIOYO

They all have an x factor that LAPOE misses. It just doesn't cut the mustard for me. The others use their cheesyness as a way of enhancing the intimatcy and honesty of the lyric IE "I know it sounds lame, but it's how I feel, so fuck you all"

See, I reckon LAPOE's got that and the other three don't.

I like LAPOE, Edge's guitar redeems anything that might have needed redeeming, but I'll vote it easily if it helps keep OOTS in.

This is why I love and respect this album. It has great songs on it. Sure, it may not be a cohesive 'album experience', but everyone can find something on it. The lyrics are honest and direct, and they smack of sincerity.

And there is so much difference from one person to the next re which songs are the best

This is why I love and respect this album. It has great songs on it. Sure, it may not be a cohesive 'album experience', but everyone can find something on it. The lyrics are honest and direct, and they smack of sincerity.

And there is so much difference from one person to the next re which songs are the best

well, it's better than atyclb, i'll give you that.

It has great songs on it.

I don't think so. I'd even hesitate to say it has any truly good songs. Decent and listenable, yeah; COBL is the most notable example. But certainly nothing I would classify as great - the lyrical qualities of the ASOHs and OTHs of U2's catalogue are completely absent and the music is mostly derivative and unremarkable even by U2's standards. None of these songs even stand a chance of entering my U2 top 50 (Smile and Fast Cars, two rejects from the sessions, funnily enough do almost make it).

Yes :up: I like what you said :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom